• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

favorite tires

I run MT/R's on my YJ and BFG M/T's on my XJ...my next set of tires for the XJ will be MT/R's. The MT/R's are quiter, not that matters to me though. The only place the BFG's do better than the MT/R's is in the mud, but Im in SoCal and there is basicly no mud over here...just all rock and the MT/R's stick to rocks like they are made out of glue. I can feel teh difference between the two sets of tires, I also belive the sidewall on the MT/R's are stronger. The one and only reasion I went with BFG's is because GoodYear dosent make a 33x10.50-15 MT/R so my next tires will be 35" MT/R's.

another vote for the MT/R's.... best i'vr ever owned.. never run them in the snow yet.. i am actually taking them off my D/D because it's really a waste of an excellent "wheeling" tire... i just got a set of Wrangler AT/S's this week.. i ran them thru 2 winters on a TJ and they were excellent all around, especially rain and snow.... gettin some 33" MT/R's in the spring for the trail rig though..
mike

I run mt/rs right now and so far I am not all that impressed with them not for the money anyways they are wearing really fast which annoys me since I dont have any money but the one thing I do like is the side walls are tougher than my previous bfgs

I would agree that it comes down to preferences. But here in the PNW with wet, rock, roots, and slipery trails the MTR's clog and the MT does not. I would guess from my experience that the MTR might do better on dry rock and packed snow (then you might be better comparing to an AT instead of a MT). Both sidewalls are equally strong.

I still like the BFG MT

Michael

In my experience here in New England (similar to the PNW) the BFG, MT/r's and the TrXus are all similar with the TrXus being better than the BFG in the mucky rocks....The MTR's do well here on the rock, but do clog...

Most of the folks here who are serious run Swampers. There comes a point where treadwear is a secondary concern and strictly performance wins. The SSR's have better road manners than my previous TSL Bias Plys and my BFG KM's...at the cost of treadwear...... But offroad there is no comparison between the BFG, TrXus, MT/r and the TSL's...

Again, that is here in New england with terrain I run....

Best advice is to Join a local club and watch what the folks there are running...ask how long they've run them...ask why...try to weed out the "SWAMPER OR GO HOME" guy and the other blind faith folks...see what the real wheelers run and go from there.

RJ

I like my bias ply TLS's. I am much more impressed then I ever thought I would be. I honestly do not know if i'll run anything else. Except maybe an Irok ;)

The road mannors are not REALLY much worse then my buddys BFG MT's (except for when my jeep has been sitting for a while and the tires are out of round) I can't wait until I really get to give my tires a good work out on the trail.

-Scott

sintax said:
I like my bias ply TLS's. I am much more impressed then I ever thought I would be. I honestly do not know if i'll run anything else. Except maybe an Irok ;)

The road mannors are not REALLY much worse then my buddys BFG MT's (except for when my jeep has been sitting for a while and the tires are out of round) I can't wait until I really get to give my tires a good work out on the trail.

-Scott

I loved my Bias TSL's off road. On the street the ride was nice in that they soaked up the bumps...but bad in that they would squirm and the truck would pitch and yaw all over. They were cushier than my BFGs but as far as a handling goes, the BFG's made the rig feel sportier (as sporty as a rig with 5.5" of lift can I guess) whereas the TSL Bias plys made it feel like my buds old Buick Electra 225....rolly and squishy:)

yea, my jeep has more then a bit of that "roll". I think it also has to do with the fact i'm not running any sway bars right now either. I need to do some fab work on my trackbar or swaybar mounts so I can turn to the right, unless I only want to run nascar races.

Mr. Hinkley, Can your shop assist with this?? Can I get you to msg me if the above

-Scott

I thought about going with SSR's but decided not to after all the horror stories on Pirate of having tread seperation and that the sidewalls arn't much better then the MTR or BFG. Hope your work out well.

The MTR's, I'm not really impressed. THe seem to grip rock slightly better then the BFG and have a bit better sidewall but nothing that would make me want to run out and buy a set.

The BFG MT are pretty much like the MTR's. They don't like to grip wet rocks real well.

Truxs seem better then the MTR or BFG. Better grip on wet rocks, better sidewall.

I still like my PJ's and as long as I can afford them I keep running em. Here's and update on mine since I havn't done on in awhile. Sidewalls seem pretty tough. Had a rock shove the tire three inches in from the rim at 8 psi and the sidewall was just scuffed and it still retained the bead. Not suprising though because the guys at the tire shop have a hard time break the bead with the valve steam out. They run when they see me pull in. :D

In snow they are awesome. Last good snow run we went on there where SSR's, TSL, MTR, BFG MT, and some other no name stuff and the PJs impressed everyone. Several guys are wanting to switch from their MTR's and Boggers to PJ's.

Rock, well they sqeaul just by turning the wheel on dry pavement. Very stickey and tough sidewalls. Grip like swampers.

Sand they float better then then my old BFG AT's but I don't do sand all that often.

Mud, just like the BFG M/T. I try to stay away from mud though as well.

Street manners are great. They do hum a bit but less then the BFG M/T do. After the center sipes wore down the noise did increase and they start to get a little loose in slick weather, but Resiping the center lugs quited them down quite a bit and they handle like new now.

I put over 60,000 miles on a set of 31x10.50 MT/Rs (5 tire rotation.) Happy as heck with them. Good on-road performance, and have held up nicely in the snow in the Upper MidWest.

I put a set of 33x12.50 MT/Rs on the end of September, and this time I did get them siped. Performance so far is pretty good, and I'm looking forward to playing in the snow with them.

BTW, this is on my daily driver. Commute in Chicago suburban traffic, and it's made 3 trips to Moab.

Caveat: MT/Rs don't clean out well in mud.

I'm running the 33" Trxus, and just got back from a snow run. These are really impressive. They got through everything, and are excellent on ice. I have run both BFG and MTR's, and neither one compares to the snow and ice traction of the Trxus. The Trxus are also very impressive in mud and slickrock. And you can't beat the quiet nature of the Trxus on the highway.

thanx for all the replies guys.....most of the people around here i wheel with are running BFG'S, Kuhmo's, or Truxus. just was trying to get some other opinions. thanx again.

Love My TrXus!!!! They Kick the Sh@#T Outta BFG's.

if you're looking for cheap, check out the Dunlop Mud Rover Radials, $105 for 35s at Tirerack.com

I've heard good things about their treadlife.

personally, I am hoping for some 35" TrXus, but they are kinda expensive, so I may get MTRs...

Yea, the Dunlops are good tires, and kick ass price too!:D

KUMHO VENTURE MT....40 K MILES 12/32 LEFT

I love this tires....had BFG, GY, Wild country .....all that is crap!
If you try KUMHO? you will love them.
I do 50-60 mile trip every day, plus one or twice a month go up in the mountains and explore, hunt or just team up with others and do a trail run...Many times tried to rip sidewall on roots, rocks ...NOT A CHANCE!!! at 12 psi they stick like a crazy glue!
Now got somewhat noisy, compound is getting a bit hard...but still better (noisewise) that most MT tires...
Dry/wet traction...superb! Hydroplaning.....good (do not pull steer wheel) ....
If I wear them out, I will buy another set (102-105 bucks a piece)!
Very good tire!!!!

Early experiences (on a GI K5/1009) 1st Gen BFG AT(31x10.5): forget about them in the mud...keep the tow strap hooked up. Purely junk for anything other than dry conditions.

BFG MT (not KM-33x12.5) cut one through the tread @ 700 miles :mad: replaced it with a Wide Climber-similar tread. this plus the three other BFGs did well in the SE clay mud/rocks. I finally cut the sidewall of the WC this spring.

Swamper TSL Radial (31x9.5) great performance in muddy rocks, bad treadwear (duh) on street - I DD them for 3.5 months, cut a sidewall in a mudhole.

Swamper TSL Bias (32x9.5@10psi +-) not much on-road use, but for 1 trip off road they did great. Muddy rocks, wet rocks, dry rocks etc...I liked these tires. A lot. Enough that I see a set of them in the future. The only ?? is 33" or 36", and mine isn't a DD, but not a trailer rig either.

Only observational, but the Swamper LTBs I've seen used look like they do really well off-road. Both folks I know with these don't DD their rigs...

The few local folks with GY MT/Rs I spoke with ALL have cut sidewalls. From that info, I'll wait for the next bandwagon to jump on. ;)

Dayton Timberline M/T,alittle noisey on the road but off road very good the sidewall have held up good slings mud grabs rocks and only $98 for 9.50X30 mounted.

Back