• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fastest XJ

broqenjeep said:
about 85 up I-70 vail pass raining like hell started to hydroplane on mt's

I was able to pull over 100 mph on one of those I-70 passes west of Denver with my stroked XJ. I felt bad that my sister was following me in her Lumina, and I watched her fade in the rear view mirror.:laugh3:

semi-regularly do 90-95 with plenty of power to spare. just don't feel like getting pulled over. no crazy vibes though

i have a minimally modified xj with no lift or tire just performance mods. have buried the spedo 110+ 3/4 of the way back to 0 had no vibs or rattles motor has 132,000 on it there is no rev limiter or speed limiter on my 1997 xj

fireball2889 said:
i have a minimally modified xj with no lift or tire just performance mods. have buried the spedo 110+ 3/4 of the way back to 0 had no vibs or rattles motor has 132,000 on it there is no rev limiter or speed limiter on my 1997 xj

Or you havent hit it...mine cuts in around 4800 in 4th and 3800 in 5th, also a 97.

I know we've all done it a few times. But its pretty dangerous to have these cherokees over 100mph. If you crash you'll prolly die. :wave:

Ive had my XJ on 35s up to 103 mph by my GPS, my little stroked XJ has no problem hitting the "H" on MPH so someone tell me how fast that is? lol Someday I wanna go 0 mph.
Both were tested on my families private roads where only I was in any danger.

Ok so I finally got my brother(165#) and his friend(235#) to ride with me and see what my baby could do. We had two good runs and a 0-100, but his friend's camera w/ hard drive didn't record one of the runs, nor the <20 sec 0-100(wtf?). The video quality is bad(not very clear or stable), but you can see the speedo, tach, and gps @ the 2:00 mark. Basically hit 126mph twice @ 4200 in 5th--there was no more left to overcome the drag.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0BhhtnaVaw

jeepinwi said:
I was able to pull over 100 mph on one of those I-70 passes west of Denver with my stroked XJ. I felt bad that my sister was following me in her Lumina, and I watched her fade in the rear view mirror.:laugh3:
Depending on year and engine: LIES!!! :D
My mom's 92 Lumina Euro with the 3.1 HO easily was faster than my XJ and with its better aero, probably would've carried that to high speeds as well.

Mind you I have no back to back comparo but having driven both, the Lumina definitely felt better at speed than my XJ does.

BlackSport96 said:
Depending on year and engine: LIES!!! :D
My mom's 92 Lumina Euro with the 3.1 HO easily was faster than my XJ and with its better aero, probably would've carried that to high speeds as well.

Mind you I have no back to back comparo but having driven both, the Lumina definitely felt better at speed than my XJ does.
He did say "stroked XJ". Lumina's (my friend has one) barely have a chance with stock xj's.

my 1988 gps'd @ 105. my wife was loosing her mind because of it.

its completely stock, with almost 200xxx on the ticker.

old blue (as i call that jeep) will run with the best of em, and still get almost 20 mpg.

the big jeep on 5.5 inches 4.10s and 35 has got to 90+. then i pussed out and re set the cruise at 55.

Timmy

i've always been adamant that 117 was about tops. that's what i hit in mine going downhill.

yesterday i could only manage 104 at elevation and in hot weather. my tires are smaller now than my old best, but the mile high elevation really kills performance. both speeds are gps verified.

i need a v8 damnit. i know a cherokee isn't a speed demon, but damn, it used to feel so fast. it's either the 200k miles or i'm speed blind, but it's just not as fun anymore. 100+ in a cherokee is still sketchy tho.

The Xjs can hit the 116mph governor safely as long as they have a good alignment, good wheel/tire balance, and aren't lifted too much. I hit 120 w/o too much effort, but above that, the aerodynamics come in to play/there is a drag wall. I was able to go up a hill @ 124mph, but on the downside could only do 126 mph due to the drag, so I definitely can call a big B.S. on any 4.0 XJ being able to do 130+ even downhill. I'll do another test with the stroked 4.6 after the 1k break-in.

Bounced mine off the speed limiter once (116 or 120?). Stock except shocks and K&N. Engine could have gone a bit more too. Thought I broke something in the engine until I realized what was happening.

I hit the limiter once going down I20, that was stock.
I also followed this group fo 3-5 bikers (can't remember now) on my way to laserquest once. The flew by and i "floored it and managed to catch up, i don'think i went above 100 that time though.

Haven't broken 85-90 with my 33"s yet (not sure exactly because the speedo is off).

Prior to the lift I hit 90 almost daily driving to and from work. Speedo only goes to 100 on my 98 Classic. I would hit that pretty quick and it continued to accelerate. I was amazed. Once I get the 4.56's installed I'll let you know. ;)

After having my driveline u-joints replaced I noticed a vibration at 95+ when I had it in 4x4 full time.

I called my mechanic/friend and told him. I get a big vibration in 4x4 since you changed those u-joints. "How fast are you going?" 95 I told him. In shock he said "I can't even get my truck up to 95 in 4x4!!"

It was funny and after the words came out of my mouth I felt funny complaining about it.

Oh and before the flaming starts, I don't drive 100 for very long and I try to stay clear of other people when doing it. I don't want someone's child to be killed by me. One of the reasons I'm in a SUV is so I won't be tempted to drive fast. Example: I test drove a new Viper some years back, and the salesman wanted to go fast. We did 135 on the feeder in 2nd gear. lol.

Back