• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fastest XJ

Back before I wrecked my 87 Renix I used to have the speedo needle on the M working its way back up towards the 0 mark. Got to love the California deserts in the middle of the night on the 10 Eastbound.

a few years ago my beautiful wife, I and my little bro went to Salt Lake City to pick up the Bro's '92 H.O. Ran pretty good, and i was reading.. Remember, the 85mph speedo?
Well, my wife was driving my old '92 maxima (I was reading a book and paying no attention in the shotgun seat). Over the 2-way comes my bro's voice asking "uh... guys? how fast are you going, 'cause i went off the edge of the speedo about 5 minutes ago". I go "What?" and look over.. Emily, the wife, grinning wildly as the speedo is passing back through 115mph. and Jeremy is right there behind us. No idea how that rig took it.
Now My 89 2 door is good for 100 without thinking.. rock solid on 235/15. the cop told me so. not much more with the 3.07 axle gears.. nice mileage though... or it would be if i didn't always stick to the "needle barely on the speedo" train of thought.

lol, 80 is about ok on th ehighway in my tank, even then it shifts up and down alot with hills and so on, but ive had it up to 110 when i first got it and it was stock, now with 33's and 4.5" of lift shell do about 90 and start wheezing

seanyb505 said:
Motorcycle speedos are rarely accurate, mine will say Im doing 75 if Im clocked doing 64. XJs have built in speed limits of 113 or 116, I cant remember

Not to start a pissing match, but in my 10 years of riding motorcycles, I have not seen an accurate speedo. This has mostly been on/off road bikes, but I've also ridden several cruisers with inaccurate speedos.

well, in my 87, i've pulled out the little stopper pin on the dash, and had the speedo wrap all the way back around to 35, so pretty stinkin fast. that's with a 4.0, 5'' lift, 3.73 gears, ax-15(swapped in), and me tryin out all the new goodies. too bad i got deathwobble when i slowed back down to 55. gay. (fixed that soon after)

btw, there isn't much stock anything on mine as far as electronics go, as i've had to replace many things, and fairly often just don't bother hooking anything up that it doesn't hafta have to run. this started with the clutch safety switch i decided i didn't need with the new transmission, and continued with just about everything else...

jeepinwi said:
Not to start a pissing match, but in my 10 years of riding motorcycles, I have not seen an accurate speedo. This has mostly been on/off road bikes, but I've also ridden several cruisers with inaccurate speedos.
Ditto. Every bike I have owned has been off considerably, nearly all of them sport/sporty bikes. Last one (ZRX1100) was clocked at 56 by a friendly cop when the speedo said 65.

click for fun:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=motorcycle+speedometer+inaccuracy&btnG=Google+Search

The speedo on my 2004 BMW 1150 is right on up to 100=101.

I think the bikes with the speedometer error are usually faster sportbike-style and the engineers are trying to keep you out of trouble by overestimating your speed.

Speed, as we know, is not really an issue on most BMW motorcyles...hence the accurate speedometer.

:idea: :D

Skits said:
I think the bikes with the speedometer error are usually faster sportbike-style and the engineers are trying to keep you out of trouble by overestimating your speed.

Speed, as we know, is not really an issue on most BMW motorcyles...hence the accurate speedometer.

:idea: :D

Got me there, max speed 120. :tears:

Fastest in the XJ, 75 mph. And I was trying. 2.5/ax5/ rusty's 3'' and 28/9.50 A/T's

If ya wanna go fast, get a sports car or a hot rod, not a refrigerator with wheels.

115mph at a little over 4000rpm with 3" lift, 32's, ARB front bumper, and 3.07 gears limited only by the lack of power to push my brick any faster

no offense but most of ur jeeps are week when it comes to top speed i toped mine out racing my friend's honda vtec honda prelude
at rev limiter in fifth gear(about 4,000) when my buddy cought up to me he sayed dead even for a little bit then pulled away but when he was next to me he said his speedo(which is in perfact working order) said 130

but i was beating him until i hit rev limiter thats when he cought up

and i have a friend who has his ecu reprogramed (i don't know how he did that but he did) who let off at 145 when raceign my friend in his acura integra

MTBracer367 said:
no offense but most of ur jeeps are week when it comes to top speed i toped mine out racing my friend's honda vtec honda prelude
at rev limiter in fifth gear(about 4,000) when my buddy cought up to me he sayed dead even for a little bit then pulled away but when he was next to me he said his speedo(which is in perfact working order) said 130

and i have a friend who has his ecu reprogramed (i don't know how he did that but he did) who let off at 145 when raceign my friend in his acura integra

i kan haz good gramer and spellinge

MTBracer367 said:

It's one thing to lie, but you are a bad lier. My stroked XJ pulls to the speed limiter(116 mph) easily, but I know it doesn't have another 30 mph in it. Your buddy's XJ did not hit 145 mph, and you should feel that much dumber for telling us that it did.

Also, you must have a problem with your XJ if your rev limiter kicks in at 4k rpm's. Our Jeeps don't have weak top speeds. We're just telling the truth unlike you.

I almost got my brother to ride with me tonight with the gps and camera, but I'll have to wait for another night.

Back