• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

exo cage opinion

BILL C.

NAXJA Forum User
hi all,
i have a 98 Cherokee Classic i use as a dd. it has a RE 4.5 lift and im running the Tomb Raider Rubicon wheels and tires. its pretty mild still and i wanna put a exo on it to protect the paint!(nah, just want it to look tougher). im not sure on how th build it for the streets. i do wheel once and a while and will not beat it too bad until i get a different daily driver. just looking for some ideas and maybe some pics. i wont steel anyones looks so dont worry about the one-of-a-kinders. i just want to get a few visuals. thanks:cheers:

For a lot of pictures, go to xjdb.com. Just search for "cage" and enjoy. A lot of them are pretty extreme but it helps the thought process. :p You'll at least get an idea how people put their triangulation into their cages (very important) and other structural stuff. Good luck.

Sand

I wouldn't waste the time on building an exo cage on a nice street puppy? Chances are, unless you pay big bucks to have it done professionally and powercoated, you try this at home you'll end up making your Jeep look ugly.
If you do a bad job due to lack of experience, you're gonne be bumping the paint with the tubes, getting weld splatter on the body... how are you going to paint it? How are you going to mount it??
It's too much work just to make your jeep look "tough" for the chicks at the mall. Save your time and buy a front bumper and a winch and that will boost your rankings on the tough looking meter.
In the mean time, just start wheeling and don't be a poser.

BILL C. said:
hi all,
i have a 98 Cherokee Classic i use as a dd. it has a RE 4.5 lift and im running the Tomb Raider Rubicon wheels and tires. its pretty mild still and i wanna put a exo on it to protect the paint!(nah, just want it to look tougher).

I really hope you're joking...

If not, sell the Jeep and get a minivan, it sounds like a better fit.

what do you mean "build it for the streets? Are you concerned about it being street legal here in "lovely" michigan? I dont think thats an issue. Build away if you want.

Why don't you ask this question at pirate4x4.com? There is a lot more knowledge there, you'll get a much better response. It would fall under the "hardcore Jeep" section.

NAXJA
1996cc said:
Why don't you ask this question at pirate4x4.com? There is a lot more knowledge there, you'll get a much better response. It would fall under the "hardcore Jeep" section.

Jeesh, you really dont like this guy, do you?? Tomb Raider edition wheels, and protecting the paint, and you send him there??:yelclap:

barillms said:
I wouldn't waste the time on building an exo cage on a nice street puppy? Chances are, unless you pay big bucks to have it done professionally and powercoated, you try this at home you'll end up making your Jeep look ugly.
If you do a bad job due to lack of experience, you're gonne be bumping the paint with the tubes, getting weld splatter on the body... how are you going to paint it? How are you going to mount it??
It's too much work just to make your jeep look "tough" for the chicks at the mall. Save your time and buy a front bumper and a winch and that will boost your rankings on the tough looking meter.
In the mean time, just start wheeling and don't be a poser.
whoa, thanks for the info. i have a few ways of building them along with people who are awsome fabricators. building it aint the problem its just the uniqueness i was looking for opinions on. and as far as being a "poser", unless thats a double meaning word,you have poorly mistaken. this is my first xj yeah, but i come from a family of wheelers and we have links all over the area to ride. i have a summer job where i work tons of hours so that leaves me to wheel in winters. i had a samurai for a while but it wasnt winter friendly. atleast for the family fun. thats why i got rid of that and got this. my wife and kids love to go so i acomodate them to keep them in the spirits. dont be a "hater". again thanks for the "constructive" info.

i thought this was site for good opinion and a little more "costructive"critisism rather than a bunch of ignorance. if i wanted to here all the b.s. talk i would have posted it on misfitoffroad. sorry, i was told this was a decent site. oops.

for those who helped, thanks

Last edited:
BILL C. said:
i come from a family of wheelers and we have links all over the area to ride.
is that in web wheeling world:laugh3:
just kidding man, you ask a question about a extreme modification just for looks and you going to get really stupid answers. if you want it to just look "meaner" use pvc pipe, cheaper, lighter and it will impress those that dont know, the rest of us can just laugh at you.

If I were you, I wouldn't go for a cage just yet. For a dd, adding all that tubing adds weight, and exo cages should be reserved for more hardcore rigs. What I'm saying is an exo cage is a bit overkill for mostly daily a-to-b commuting, and the money and time put into it would be better served for something else. Stick with rock sliders, get some good bumpers, and a winch. It'll still look good and tough, but you'll have more functionality especially with a winch.

Exo cages are sweet, but I don't think you'll be as happy with it than you'll be with adding the previously stated parts.

But if I can't talk you out of it, good luck.

Sand

bill c i think you got some bum answers because of your wording. Just ask a specific question about the exo and the direction you want to go. That for looks comment even if it was a joke caught people off guard, and the influx of ricer mentality is tiresome:mad: , so understand some folks smart-assy responses.:laugh3:

You might consider just getting a interior cage to protect the ol' family, since thats more important than a dumb jeep. If your from a family of long time wheelers i dont imagine some rock rash and beat up quarters are gonna turn you off to wheeling. Soooooooo i suggest you go to http://www.xjdb.com/ and look sthrough the exo pics, search here and pirate.

as a more detailed question in a new thread with no joke in the first post, and it should turn out good. I hardly see any posts here that dont get answered with meaningful responses, i think you got this site all wrong dude

i just put beadlocks on my rig and about to build a cage. California law wont like me too much on the roads. especially with a 1" wheel spacer and 4" offset... (all i see is the red and blue)

yes maybe i do ask things in odd ways and people dont take what im saying the right way. i wont put a exo on it until i get a different dd. i just want some ideas in mind. but..........i will want to take it on the road since i live 10 min. from riding grounds. the looking tough part was a joke, maybe us flatlanders in michigan take jokes differently. exo cages are a big talk in our group but nobody has put one on yet. possible two sammis will be done soon. a friend of ours built a Spitfire on a sammi frame and is good at making cages. he was in magazines for the "spit-n-urai". some of you may have seen it. im all about being different and thought i would get some input is all. i may check out xjcreepers options from the above reply and like that iea better. thanks for clearing things up. i dont type what i mean alot of times soyall need to work with me. thanks again,

Team Kamikaze 4x4

The way you asked originally sounded like you didn't have a clue. "I want to build an exo cage for looks and the streets..." It really sounds like a complete poser. If that's what you want to do, it's your Jeep, and regardless what snyde comments anyone on the board makes, (myself included), do what you want. That's why I figured it was a joke, and threw heavy sarcasm back at you. It's tough to read sarcasm and humor sometimes.

That being said, I have learned, and maybe you will have learned now with your trial by fire, to choose words on the board carefully. :D

I have been researching exos for a while, as I plan to do one too. XJDB is a great source for pics (I have collected quite a few from there). I have also been seriously considering a c-rok cage.

I like doing things differently too, but sometimes things get done for a reason (i.e. they work), so it doesn't always make sense.

Good luck!

IF you do an exo....make sure you build an internal cage to brace it.

Sounds to me like you were thinking just an exo....no one here is gonna be real quick to endorse that path and possably endanger your life.

Sorry for caring.

Rev

Back