• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

EV Jeep Cherokee?

Very nice, I would have put the charger on the gas tank filler side and used the old gas door to cover the connector and keep it out of the weather. 20 batteries for good power, more batteries more performance, thats a no brainer and there goes the rest of the cargo area, 8 or 10 more batteries AND a set of OME 3" spring packs... I'd also solar panel the roof, yea wont do a full charge but might give you another 10-20 miles after sitting in the parking lot all day at work in a sunny place like tx...
Would like to know how it crawls, going to go read some more...

Not a bad idea. Seen a few of them. Too bad the owner has no clue about emissions.

No battery powered electric vehicle has 'no emissions'. They are 'emissions deferred'. Instead of the emissions being created by the indvidual vehicles, the emissions are created at whatever power plant the electricity came from. I'm not disputing that it has less total emmisions than a fuel operated vehicle.

isnt there some way you could put a high amp alternator on somehow to recharge the battery while running, at 5000 constant rpms it would probably charge allright. might make the 30-35 mile range go up higher dont you think?

rocklandxjer said:
isnt there some way you could put a high amp alternator on somehow to recharge the battery while running, at 5000 constant rpms it would probably charge allright. might make the 30-35 mile range go up higher dont you think?

If you figure out how let me know but don't tell anyone else....:scottm:

rocklandxjer said:

Okay, I'm just going to go and ask it.

Please explain how you intend of spinning your 'magical high amp alternator'?

lol i have absolutely no idea about electric motors. my knowlege is strictly limited to that of internal combustion engines. i just figured there could be a pulley extending from the flywheel shaft or something, that spun an alternator.

it was more of a question than a comment

edit: i realized that if it was possible people would have done it, just kinda wanted to know why not..

You mean like using a perpetual motion machine?

I keep plans for just such a machine under the planks in my sock drawer.

When the wackos stop banning stuff I intend to go into production and become world overlord of free energy.

yea, i mean there has to be some way to use at least some of the electric power to generate more, giving it the possibility of running inevitably. (some one will come up with it, and be a zillionare, someday... im surprised its not done already...)

rocklandxjer said:
yea, i mean there has to be some way to use at least some of the electric power to generate more, giving it the possibility of running inevitably. (some one will come up with it, and be a zillionare, someday... im surprised its not done already...)

Not without a way to break the laws of motion...no.

Friction my son, simple friction prevents this. You can't convert energy from one form to another without some sort of efficency loss. I'm sure one of the engineer types will chime in here, and explain it. I'm only a hillbilly with a curious mind, and a big toolbox.

In a set-up like this, you want to remove any type of parasitic drag on the motor that turns the transmission. So all the pulleys go. Read his replacement for the PS pump, and you will get the idea.

This is why you want to strip every last piece of weight out of a vehicle that is being converted to EV status, and I mean every last pieces of weight.

His low range per charge, can be attributed to his choice of batteries. Flooded lead acid(standard batteries), are not the most efficient storage devices, but they are cheaper to manufacture and a really, really, really reliable. Not to mention they are heavier than other types of batteries for the same capacity. A simple switch of battery types would allow him to add more voltage(in the form of extra batteries) and add range. But other types of batteries cost more money.

There is an excellent book on the subject of EV's and conversions of regular vehicles into an EV. Its called 'Build your Own Electric Vehicle' by Bob Brant.

It covers all the topics relating to this subject. From motors and charge controllers to head lights and selecting a heater for the vehicle.
The author converts a Ford Ranger in the book. Its still available from Lindsey Books. The author may have even released an updated verison by now, my copy is probably 10 years old.

Conservation of energy principle. Look it up, kid.

rocklandxjer said:
hmf, o well... looks like you just gotta go solar huh? heh heh

Wonder how easily you could fit solar panels into a 'glas low profile bed shell on a small truck like the Ranger mentioned above or S-10, and how well it would work for a slight boost in juice while driving during the day as well as while parked at work in an outdoor lot for a first or second shifter?

Uh oh, this is not a good sign, I just gave myself an idea...........................
Electric MJ anybody?

an electric motor would be the bomb for a trail toy though. Never stalls, has tremendous torque, no fluids to leak, works in all positions and attitudes. Drive it back to camp and plug it in.

rocklandxjer said:

Root Moose said:
You mean like using a perpetual motion machine?
I keep plans for just such a machine under the planks in my sock drawer.
When the wackos stop banning stuff I intend to go into production and become world overlord of free energy.

rocklandxjer said:

4d2kk2g.jpg

Back