• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine Ticking?

dark92xj

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so today I was driving in Fort Collins and some idiot was doing 25 in a 40 so I decided to pass him...little did I know it might cause me a little trouble. I noticed on Thursday that the jeep was about 2 quarts low on oil so I figured I would stop and get some oil. Well couldnt get around to it so...back to the story at hand. I dropped a gear and took off around this guy in his pretty little prius. When I got home I noticed a tick :( . It sounds like its coming from the bottom end....could this be the end of my 4.0? Also I have a 89 4.0L (supposidly rebuilt) sitting in storage. First, will this engine fit in my 92 xj? Second, should I add oil and see if the tick goes away?

Add oil and see where that gets ya. Low oil will make the lifters tick, I'm guessing that's all it is.
When you get some time do a compression test just to make sure you're ok. If it's running now it'll run till you can do one.

I did a compression test a few weeks ago. All the cylinders but #5 were good...#5 was just a hair lower than the others...im sure its just rings considering the amount of blowby I have into the air filter

After you put the oil in, add a half-quart of automatic transmission fluid to the engine. That will free any sticky lifters.

About the compression test, if the highest and lowest numbers are within 10% of each other, don't worry about it.

After you put the oil in, add a half-quart of automatic transmission fluid to the engine. That will free any sticky lifters.

The ATF trick actually works. I had a lifter so stuck it was making the engine misfire and sounded like a rod was knocking. I ran some ATF in it for about 10 minutes, drove it around the block no faster than 25 mph and then changed the oil, the ticking and misfire never returned.

well the cylinders are closer to 20% difference but I guess that would also explain the massive amounts of blowby. I need to re-ring the beast. Put oil in and tick went away...must have just been a dry rocker.

So I figured the jeep is loosing oil at a rapid pace so im on the hunt to get them all fixed. Got a oil pan gasket, valve cover gasket, and a rear main. Can anyone think of anything else that could cause this rapid loss of oil?

For not much more effort than the oil pan gasket and rear main, you could have a whole different engine in there. One without low compression on a hole or two. Just a thought..

Back