• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ENF Route Designation Proposals are out!

Simple Man

NAXJA Member #979
Here is the link to the proposals.

Check the maps for each alternative. They get more retrictive as the go.

Be prepared to comment on this document when you go to the meetings.

The final selection can be a combination from all of the alternatives. Let those in charge know why you think a certian trail should remain open or why you think a seasonal closure would be too restrictive.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/eldorado/projects/route/deis/index.shtml

Doug

I read they are going with Alt.D"Preffered". So, it sounds like we need to start fighting for individual trails and why they're important.

I don't get it why are we trying to protect just certain trails and roads? this is exactly what the envromentalists want they want us to divide and pick our individual favorite spots? These places are all overcrowded we should be fighting for where we want the new roads and new camping spots to be. Accepting any closure of any road is a win for those trying to destroy our use of public lands.

You are about to lose 2500 miles of trails by trying to put your efforts in to opening a single new trail.

I personally think it is extremely important to fight to save those 2500 miles of trails before we try and convince the FS to allow us to create a single mile of new trail.

Don't get me wrong, I think we need more trails. But let's save what we have. The FS can close them a lot faster than they will approve new ones.

I'm not asking you to pick a favorite spot. Fight the entire plan. The forest plan in 1990 called for 400 miles of new OHV trails. We got zero. Even after the lawsuit to go back and follow the 1990 plan we still got zero.

Send in you comments now!

Sorry Doug I am not trying to open a single trail I was just using it as an example. You have done more and know more about saving our trails than I do for sure, and I thank you for that. But I am just afraid to lose 500 miles this year trying to compromise and then 500 more in two more years, so on and so forth.

I'm trying to compile Alt."A" to Alt."D" to be able to compare the closures I'm 4 pages in of 62 and already looking pretty dismal! I may need more highlighters as I think I'm going to run out of ink.
I'll try to post list for all to see I'm just not sure how.

Gary, unfortunately general comments and opinions don't mean much in this situtation. Comments regarding the plan need to be specific to be meaningful. I haven't looked, but I'm sure Friends of the Rubicon has a section on their website about how to make meaningful comments. If so, everyone needs to read it.

We're also going through this in our area with Sequoia National Forest.

The Forest Service acknowledges that there has been a tremendous rise in OHV use. Unbelievably, they conclude that because of it more areas of the Forest need to be protected from use.

Back