• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electric window switches: 3 not working

Same problem on my 99. I can push the window lock button till im blue in the face and they will not work (except from my side), but when they do act up, I can hit the whole assembly with my fist and they come back to life....lol. I can especially see it at night when I come home. I'll go to roll my windows up, and the little green light on the switches will be off on the passenger door and the back doors, untill I hit the main assembly on my door and they light back up again. I was thinking loose connections (due to the light flickering), but i'll certainly give this a try.

Same problem on my 93! :wierd:

I thought I originally fixed the problem on my '98... with ignition on, I duct-taped one of the passenger window switches to down position, then opened up the driver's door panel & jiggled some wires... It started working, but stopped a few days later. Started up again, but now they're out... is definitely a bad wire connection in the switch area. I'm going for the wire splice remedy ASAP.
regards,
jlex.

99XJSPORT06 said:
Same problem on my 99. I can push the window lock button till im blue in the face and they will not work (except from my side), but when they do act up, I can hit the whole assembly with my fist and they come back to life....lol. I can especially see it at night when I come home. I'll go to roll my windows up, and the little green light on the switches will be off on the passenger door and the back doors, untill I hit the main assembly on my door and they light back up again. I was thinking loose connections (due to the light flickering), but i'll certainly give this a try.
My little green lights are messed up on the power mirror controls. sometimes they light up sometimes not.

I also have this window problem. maybe the master switch is jacked up

jlex said:
I thought I originally fixed the problem on my '98... with ignition on, I duct-taped one of the passenger window switches to down position, then opened up the driver's door panel & jiggled some wires... It started working, but stopped a few days later. Started up again, but now they're out... is definitely a bad wire connection in the switch area. I'm going for the wire splice remedy ASAP.
regards,
jlex.
Wiggling the wires also wiggles the terminals on the master switch and can make it seem like a wire problem.

anyway here is one of last years threads on this topic (yeah I never got around to it)

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=21912

so there is good specific info for the 97 plus crowd but how about for us 91 to 96ers?? A friend suggested it was common, said replace the whole drivers control unit from a junk yard one for cheap, but i'd be worried about buying one from a yard with the same issue...

Last night, I decided to splice the wire & fix things once and for all using Calata's diagram. Problem solved. Just take a 6" piece of wire & solder it between the #9 tan and #8 yellow wires after removing a bit of insulation from each wire. Wrap each soldered connection with electrical tape & you're done.
Removing the door panel is easy... remove 5 phillips head screws & pop the door off its plastic retaining clips. The whole thing can be done in 1 hour & one beer. Thanks again to Calata for the diagram & to Daryl for the post.
regards,
jlex.

langer1 said:
Wiggling the wires also wiggles the terminals on the master switch and can make it seem like a wire problem.

Took me over a month and 5-6 door panel removals to finally come to that conclusion.

Also, I've figured out an even easier way. Just cut the wire on pin 8 of the smaller connector ( as close to the connector end as possible ) and bring it over to the larger connector and splice it into the wire on pin 9. 1 cut, 1 splice. Whole operation should take 15 minutes max if you're electrically handy.

Last edited:
dakotus said:
My little green lights are messed up on the power mirror controls. sometimes they light up sometimes not.

I also have this window problem. maybe the master switch is jacked up

Well all the lights are fine on mine on the master switches and the mirrors and all. I'm really thinking loose connections, but I havent gotten around to pulling the door pannel yet.

2000 Cherokee, same exact problem. My aunts 2000 Cherokee is the same way, along with my buddies 1997. Anyone ever talk to a dealer about this. Seems like there should be a recall with so many people affected. I won't hold my breath though...

Back