• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electric fan switch

So you put 85 to ground? I just spliced it into 30-is that bad? :p
On a side note, I tried your kill switch mod a few days ago, and my 2000 XJ is wired differently than yours is (it has 4 wires going to the fuel tank, and no green wire with red stripe).

I'm not sure if that is bad or not. I would have to see the schematic on the relay to know. However, I do know that my way works. ;)

You're right, there isn't a green wire with a red stripe on the 97+ XJs. I thought that was in my writeup, but I guess not. I included it in the magazine article I wrote, but not on my own site....nice. Anyway, I just updated it with a note. Sorry to send you down the wrong path.

Ask and ye shall receive :)
no sweat on the writeup.

EDIT: oops, wrong pic

DSC00652.jpg

Finished the install! I tried running 85 to ground but this simply grounded out the whole system, so it stayed spliced to 30. The original plan was to put the switch directly below the headlight knob, but the metal plate behind that plastic panel convinced me not to :( Instead, I put it just to the right of the gauge cluster. It fits here perfectly, and best of all there is place to put another switch directly below it. The check engine light is no longer coming on, so that's a plus as well. The LED does not light up, I'll figure that out later.

Wiring for the switch (Yes, I wrapped it in electric tape the whole length :) )

DSC00657.jpg

The switch in place (lousy pic, but the switch is actually the same color as the dash panel)

DSC00661.jpg

I know magimerlin drew it that way, but I don't really understand why. 85 and 86 are basically your low voltage switch. If 85 is grounded and you put power to 86, then it will close the relay and run the high voltage power from 30 over to 87.

I wired my fan this way and I just wired my headlights the same way, but with 2 separate relays.

Did you wire yours similar to magimerlin's schematic? Is it working?

As a side note, any idea what the disconnected female connector by the fusebox goes to? It's visible in the first picture I posted.

fatwreck said:
I know magimerlin drew it that way, but I don't really understand why. 85 and 86 are basically your low voltage switch. If 85 is grounded and you put power to 86, then it will close the relay and run the high voltage power from 30 over to 87.

I wired my fan this way and I just wired my headlights the same way, but with 2 separate relays.

Did you wire yours similar to magimerlin's schematic? Is it working?
right, 85 and 86 is your coil(low voltage switch). When evergized it will flip the switch in the relay to let power go from 30 to 87. I just switch the ground side of the coil instead of the power side. I use a grounded switch becouse its safer then a powered switch, it will not cause a switch to heat up and possibly melt and or start a fire if left on to long.
As you say if you ground 85 and power to 86(with a switch) you are just flopping the way I drew it which is fine(just remember if you do this to only have 30 have constant 12+ and not splice anything else to it) it will do the same thing. Relays are not picky on which side of the switch the neg and pos go as long as one side switched to control it.

Last edited:
Back