• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

EBC brakes

nochance9

NAXJA Forum User
Hey, i just got me some 35" km2s and my brakes are in serious need of an upgrade... So i've seen these EBC brakes done on tv but i was wondering if anyone here is running them and if it's worth the money for em. Also, if you have any other ideas for my brakes that'd be great!

i have EBC Slotted rotors and Green Stuff pads. I personally didn't notice much difference over stock. Now that I have done a rear disc conversion, it stops great now. Adj. prop. valve is next on the list.

If I was to do it again, I would use some high quality Brembo or Wagner rotors and EBC pads along with the rear disc conversion.

What year is your rig? Depending on year, you may benefit from a booster upgrade from a later model XJ or WJ (i think).

Its a 1989. If you haven't already done it upgrade you booster/mc. WJ seems to be the preferred swap parts these days. Also, I seem to remember the EBC yellows being much better than the greens.

Vanco front brake upgrade, period, dot.

Out of a total 10 points I would rate the following;

Vanco upgrade = 6pts
Booster upgrade = 3 pts (if already dual diaphram, give 2 pts to Vanco and one more to rear discs)
rear discs = 1 pts (on technical principles only)

pad choice, slotted rotors probably split less than 1 pt each. Sorta like a loud muffler or KN air filter, you may think it helps, but the data cant support it.

EBC makes good rotors, there Pads are junk. Look at Hawk for pads... you might spend more on the pads then the rotors that what though... but you get what you pay for.

Ok, col. thanks guys yuou've helped a ton. I've thought about rear disk conversion but seems too labour intensive. I've got a brand new master cyl. just a spare from when my dad owned the jeep. So when i put that in i'll get a grand booster from the junk yard and consider my rotor and pad options vs my money options.

Ok, col. thanks guys yuou've helped a ton. I've thought about rear disk conversion but seems too labour intensive. I've got a brand new master cyl. just a spare from when my dad owned the jeep. So when i put that in i'll get a grand booster from the junk yard and consider my rotor and pad options vs my money options.

ok, a ZJ rear disk upgrade is a piece of cake for a D35 or 8.25. a 44 is a little more work but still quite easy. after i did rear disks on my 8.25 i was kicking myself in the butt for not doing it sooner.

i would start with a 95+ booster/master cylender. from there rear disks with a ZJ prop valve. then upgrade the front if you really wanted to. my 95 xj stops a lot faster than my dodge ram, even when my jeep is towing my tent trailer.

EBC makes good rotors, there Pads are junk. Look at Hawk for pads... you might spend more on the pads then the rotors that what though... but you get what you pay for.

I don't use any slotted or dimpled rotors (Data I have, many many tests shows they're a sidegrade or no upgrade), so I have not tried EBC rotors. Centric premium 120 series for a perfect flat rotor makes me smile. EBC yellow pads rocks the socks off of Hawk. EBC greens not so much, they fade out.

That's why I use them in my kit, Hawk would be cheaper. I'd like to use them to save the money.

Vanco front brake upgrade, period, dot.

Out of a total 10 points I would rate the following;

Vanco upgrade = 6pts
Booster upgrade = 3 pts (if already dual diaphram, give 2 pts to Vanco and one more to rear discs)
rear discs = 1 pts (on technical principles only)

pad choice, slotted rotors probably split less than 1 pt each. Sorta like a loud muffler or KN air filter, you may think it helps, but the data cant support it.

WJ > Vanco.

With WJ knuckles/brakes you get increased stopping power (I could lock up 35s) AND crossover steering with beefier TREs (24mm diameter, XJ taper).

did the wj booster/master swap on my 89 for under $100.

double flare and bend a few lines

easy and effective swap, but i only run 31's, not sure if its enough for 35's.;

WJ > Vanco.

With WJ knuckles/brakes you get increased stopping power (I could lock up 35s) AND crossover steering with beefier TREs (24mm diameter, XJ taper).

Mine takes 2 hours to install....But to be honest, the WJ was the inspiration to make the kit. We wanted brakes like a WJ without the massive amount of labor and fab work.

I love my Vanco kit. I can stop on a dime with my 35's, and offroad with a 4.1 t case it can hold me on steep rock face in 1st gear low no problem. Well worth the money and super easy to install. Funny thing is I own a stock WJ and my XJ stops better with the Vanco kit and 35's.

I vote Vanco with a ZJ disc conv. for the rear.

I'm not familiar with the vanco upgrade or the wj swap. Just the zj swap. What's the difference?

I'm not familiar with the vanco upgrade or the wj swap. Just the zj swap. What's the difference?
The wj swap is putting wj calipers and knuckles on your axle... it requires welding which is why it isn't even more popular. The reason for doing this would be for its dual piston (i think thats the right terminoligy) capilers. Obviously this is the front axle. The vanco upgrade is a hyydroboost system that incraeases the breaking power by more preasure via the steering fluid pump. Theoretically you could run both (i think).

[FONT=&quot]I installed ZJ rear discs and then had problems with the rears wanting to lock up on steep down hill trails. The front brakes were not powerful enough.

After installing the Vanco upgrade, the front brakes are now much more powerful and provide the downhill braking I needed without the rear wheel lockup. They restored the front to back brake bias that was changed when the ZJ rears were installed.
High-speed stops are now much more controlled.
The EBC Yellows are a good addition.
[/FONT]

That vanco stuff looks nice but out of my price range. :( so what i think i'll do is price check wj calipers and rotors for the front, and zj calipers and rotors for the back (see what i can or can't afford) and run the cheapest rotors but with yellow stuff pads. And i know for a fact theres a zj at the pick a part with it's booster still on it i'll snatch it and throw on the new mc i found while cleaning the shed lol. should give me a pretty good set up for the price. :sad1:

which rotors and hubs did you use? did you need spacers for the calipers// gathering stuff for this gor wj stuff and knuckles with the spacers already.

I've done the WJ setup and its amazing the difference. I have Summit drilled and slotted rotors along with Green Stuff pads front and rear. I have disks on the 8.8 in the rear also.

Back