• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

easiest axles to swap in an xj?

markw said:
The XJ 44 is full width, goes from tire to tire last time I checked.. :) XJ 44 in the rear is the easiest, the 30 up front isn't bad, just do full c-clips. Unless of course you want to go bigger than 35's, then break out the wallet.

was that serious or jovial, its hard to tell online (heh)
he wants full widths meaning axles from a full size vehicle like early bronco or pickup.

build15.jpg

build10.jpg

build3.jpg

build5.jpg

I put a HP44 and a 9" in mine. Switched to leaves as well. Took half the time it took me to put that in than it did welding control arm mounts to my last 44. Works awesome too. I have zero fear driving on the highway or blasting down dirt roads at speed. It handles better, way better. Sure it doesn't flex as good as a long arm, but who cares when you have lockers and a 116" wheel base. The difference in flex is not noticible, side hilling is much more stable as well. I have run tomken 6" and a rubicon express 4.5 (both short arm) before doing this.

Why run full width axles on an xj if you only plan to run 35" tires? I have ran 44 and 8.8 in rear, personally I like the 8.8. Hi-pinion 30 in front with heavy outer joints and have never had a problem. I never have ran anything larger than a 35 on my xj's. I have built a cj-7 with full width 60's and 39"x 20" IROKS, but thats a different forum

Oh yeah, axles are out of a 79 f 150. I cut off the radius arm mounts and welded on leaf spring mounts. I think I am around 8-9 inches of lift..... It has settled now that the bumpers and winch are on.

95steel thats a neat little rig you got there. I was wandering if you could have kept the front coil springs the ford had by moving the coil spring perches. Reason I an asking is I have 2 ford 79 4x4 and never even thought about the possibility of swapping out the front axle to an xj.

I have seen a few guys do that. They swapped the coil buckets on the axle from side to side to bring the coils closer to the center line. Then used james duff long arms for a ford and made a cross member to attach them to. Made it a bolt on. I didn't like it because the springs are still at a bit of an angle.

rocklandxjer said:
none will just "fit" youll have to do significant modification to your axles and some other modifications as well... steering to mention only one..

the only axles that will fit into an xj are xj axles. those that you mentioned were never intended to go into a cherokee or any vehicle its size

BS..a full size wagon rear will "just fit".They bolt rite in the spring pads are only off by mabey 1/4".

Do you have to figure out the driveshaft/brakes/ebrake? yes,but it will bolt in.

OlyWa

razorbackxj said:
Why run full width axles on an xj if you only plan to run 35" tires? I have ran 44 and 8.8 in rear, personally I like the 8.8. Hi-pinion 30 in front with heavy outer joints and have never had a problem. I never have ran anything larger than a 35 on my xj's. I have built a cj-7 with full width 60's and 39"x 20" IROKS, but thats a different forum

why does it seem like people don't want me to get full width axles or think i should stay with the d30? i want it for a little more security in my own head, when i'm at uwharrie, or harlan, or the trails in my own back yard. this vehicle is my daily driver but not for too long, and then it'll become a trail rig. when i wheel i vehicle i don't like to say "eh, i could probably make it but i might break something if i try that" hence, A D30

the problem with full widths is that they stick out way far from the body.
I'd find waggy axles, that way you still get front and rear dana 44's, but you won't have a really wide rig./

OlyWaXJ said:
BS..a full size wagon rear will "just fit".They bolt rite in the spring pads are only off by mabey 1/4".

Do you have to figure out the driveshaft/brakes/ebrake? yes,but it will bolt in.

OlyWa
A FULL SIZED vehicle, not jeep. find me a wagoneer with a dana 60 or FORD 9"

and i already said that i missed the 8.8 and when i read 44 i thought he was talking about a full sized hp 44 for the front

Ok, with a HP 30 and 35 (stock axles) 15*10 rims and 33/14.5 boggers I was 78" wide. Now I am 77" with full widths......

Look, moving to bigger axles nets you more strength, less work in the long run. When I wheel (have to put that disclamer in as I don't have as much time anymore) I wheel hard. Yes putting bigger axles in required a few mods. Bigger axles have bigger brakes, new master cylender fixes that.

If you want to upgrade, then upgrade! The non disco HP 30 is a great little axle and will handle aggressive 33" tires or even mild 35" tires. Problem is the freaken "unik" bearings in the front. They are easy to replace, but having to replace them sucks. Not being able to un lock the front end also sucks, the hub kits are weak.

Look, all I am trying to say is to think it through. If you are going to run 33 inch mud terrains and wheel occasionaly, grab a non disco hp30 and a factory xj/mj 44 bolt them in and have fun.

Now if you are going to go wheeling.... spend your money once and do it right. Don't polish a turd, it will still be a turd. Look at how much money it will cost to find a set of waggy 44's and a bracket kit from rubicon express. Good axles, cheap parts etc, good width match.... Just don't go in thinking that "modifying" a vehicle is going to be easy or cheap. I have less than a grand in my axles and I am very happy with them. My last MJ I put alloys and lockers etc. etc... I had a lot more in them and still broke.

rocklandxjer said:
A FULL SIZED vehicle, not jeep. find me a wagoneer with a dana 60 or FORD 9"

and i already said that i missed the 8.8 and when i read 44 i thought he was talking about a full sized hp 44 for the front

Woooh there junior...dont get your pantys in a wad.Just so as you know a wagoneer is considered fullsize.Also they came with "widetrac" in the cherokee cheif and J series(4" wider than standard) and although not a "waggy" the J series did come with "60's" in the rear of the 3/4 and 1 ton.

OlyWa

Keep your Dana 30 front, and get some strong shafts.
Get a Dana 44 out of an XJ and bolt it up.

To answer the question you are asking, the above is the easiest.
Your Dana 30 is fine for 34s.

If you're looking for "ease" and you've stated that you are,
then custom fabbing full-width axles under your XJ isn't very easy
considering you don't own a welder.

OlyWaXJ said:
Woooh there junior...dont get your pantys in a wad.Just so as you know a wagoneer is considered fullsize.Also they came with "widetrac" in the cherokee cheif and J series(4" wider than standard) and although not a "waggy" the J series did come with "60's" in the rear of the 3/4 and 1 ton.

OlyWa

no twisted panties here, heh, i was just emphasizing full sized vehicles, now taht i think about it, i should have specified (other than jeeps)

found some angle iron that was part of a table for some machine shop stuff. It was a circle (no way I could have radiused that) I got lucky that the radius was big enough for my tires. I attached them with fender washers and a couple of support brackets to the inner fender.

It is a 91 eliminator short bed.

Ok just my 2 cents if you are looking for ease v/s cost to improve your axle strength and parts availibility try this option d44 from older xj for the rear cheap if you find one at a local pick your part. other option make a friend at a local wrecker and get a front and rear d44 from a rubicon the front should just bolt up and the rear needs the to just have spring perches installed. or go wild and have the xj fabbed up for the rubicon coils and links and bolt it in flex heaven sweet ride.

I personally would go with a Ford 9 inch from the rear of a 80-96 ford 2wd because of the newer parts in it and a dana 44 front from a 78-79 bronce because you will not have to deal with the hassle of switching your t-case around and the fact that it is already coil sprung would make it a good candidate for the front because the steering/width/steering knuckles would already be fit to run coils.

CanJeep said:
I personally would go with a Ford 9 inch from the rear of a 80-96 ford 2wd because of the newer parts in it

When I am done with my 9" from a '78 it will have all new parts. You should do this anyway.

CanJeep said:
and a dana 44 front from a 78-79 bronce because you will not have to deal with the hassle of switching your t-case around and the fact that it is already coil sprung would make it a good candidate for the front because the steering/width/steering knuckles would already be fit to run coils.

Still significant fab work and he doesn't have a welder. Tracbar steering angles. Etc.

Back