• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

E-code H4 headlight conversion with comparison pics Cheaper than Silverstars

Nuthin; I've used both and prefer the light disbursal pattern of the Hellas better. But both are waaaay better than sealed beams.

I agree both are better than sealed beams. Never ran Hellas. I was just busting your balls anyways! :D

So I finally made the plunge. After much research on the internet I concluded that while the Autopals look OK I didn't want to be second guessing my self down the road. So I kept an eye out for a deal and picked up some Cibie's, on Ebay, for $110 delivered, new w/55/60 Osram bulbs, which I didn't think was that bad and hoped that it was worth double the Autopals. Well I took some pics from about 10'. Keep in mind I'm yet to upgrade the headlight harness but I have upraded my 5 mains w/5-90's upgrade and that brightened my lights some.

the sealed beams
011.jpg

Driver side Cibie passenger side Sealed beam
013.jpg

Both Cibies, mind you the camera F'd up, or I did, either way the exposure is different and doesn't do it justice, but you can tell by the previous pic that the 55/60 bulb is considerably brighter.
014.jpg

I am yet to aim the headlights but haven't had a chance yet but they're not too bad

Oh yeah, I was going to post here about the Hellas vs Autopals.

The light pattern is similar. I don't see a difference. I didn't run both at the same time to compare though, so I will have to actually do a comparison later.

The Hella does have a metal bucket that blocks front of the bulb, so other drivers don't get the glare.

Alabama....nuff said
probably got a confederate flag in your MJ...huh?

If you're in Tiajuana, than you're probably a Californian, as am I. All I can say is: it's no wonder people in the rest of the wheeling states dislike Californians. Alabama may not be as cosmopolitan as TJ :)D), but give the guy credit where it's due. I see at least a few people interested in his contribution to this thread.

I personally think city lights--and to a lesser extent, DRL's--are a great idea, and would love to see them implemented in more US vehicles. As a Californian, I tend to think everything the Europeans (or Canadians, for that matter) do is superior and more sophisticated than anything we do stateside (again, :D), so I have to love city lights. Can someone find me some latin to use in place of my "wry grin" smiley? Smileys just aren't as urbane (pompous (Californian)) as latin.

Anyhow, I'm only responding because I still get notifications when someone replies to this thread. My contribution to this thread is way back on page 7, years ago. I know most people don't read these things all the way through, so take a look for another cheap alternative that hasn't been mentioned in a while. The price has more than doubled since my post was made, so I hope at least some people got in on the deal I got. They <i>are</i> listed in the Cherokee edition of Quadratec now.

Holy confusion Batman, where do you even start with this mess? 34 pages about headlights????

On post #7 talking about the prisms on the E codes to illuminate off to the side, wouldnt one of each (left and right hand drive) work very well for trail rigs since it would show more off to the sides ??

Theoretically I suppose? But the big motivational here is how how 'cheap' everything is. If you're buying 2 sets just for one light out of each, well, that seems a little redundant. But definitely an interesting idea...

I bought a harness of ebay and the autopal housings and 100/55W bulbs. Got it switched and holy light batman!! No complaints here, excellent light, easy to swap and cheap :)

I'd thought about the mismatched pair, but after encountering increasing numbers of big SUVs with blue headlights and beams aimed everywhere, I think I'll stick with what I have. If I change anything about the setup, I would go HID, but bang for the buck, I believe this is the best value.

On post #7 talking about the prisms on the E codes to illuminate off to the side, wouldnt one of each (left and right hand drive) work very well for trail rigs since it would show more off to the sides ??

The light from the "kink" in the beam isn't major, just for reflective signs

The light from the "kink" in the beam isn't major, just for reflective signs

Agreed.... If you try and run a lefty and a righty on the street you will at least piss-off a bunch of people and risk getting a ticket.

If it's a trail only rig, just set up some rock lights. You'll be much happier.

Sorry to bump this old thread back.. no i'm not.

These Autopal's are about to turn four years old on my rig. Still running the original 55/60 bulbs.

I have added the upgraded harness from Susquehanna Motorsports. I'm thinking i'd like to get some new brighter bulbs. Suggestions on good replacements?

I couldn't be happier with the bulbs I bought from the guy on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/H4-9...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I've only had to replace them once in years. They are super bright, super white, and a nice even cut off. So even though the wattage is high, the light is low and on the ground. I have never been flashed once!

The highbeams on the other hand...holy friggin god...the lights so bright....it's thick!

Sorry to bump this old thread back.. no i'm not.

These Autopal's are about to turn four years old on my rig. Still running the original 55/60 bulbs.

I have added the upgraded harness from Susquehanna Motorsports. I'm thinking i'd like to get some new brighter bulbs. Suggestions on good replacements?

i had osram 85/130s in my subie, super awesome bright, but blew in a lil over a year. my XJ has hella housings with hella 85/80s and theyre awesome. been in the truck since my buddy bought em like 2.5 years ago when it was his jeep.

Back