• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Drum Brake upgrade

Sinioth

NAXJA Forum User
So I've been doing a lot of reading on brake upgrades, and I see all kinds of information on advanced pads and rotors, and converting from drum to disk. I don't, however, see anything about drum brakes themselves.

Are there higher quality drums or shoes to use? Or does it even matter? Do rear drums even need an upgrade to a better shoe or drum?

Consider using the primary brake shoes from a second set of brake shoes in place of the secondary shoes on your axle. Since the primarys have more contact surface you will have more contact area. I discussed this with my ASE mechanic and he said it should work. Haven't tried this myself though........

Consider using the primary brake shoes from a second set of brake shoes in place of the secondary shoes on your axle. Since the primarys have more contact surface you will have more contact area. I discussed this with my ASE mechanic and he said it should work. Haven't tried this myself though........

I would not recommend this. The shoes don't just push outwards they rotate slightly which helps make full contact with the drum. This also allows the automatic adjusters to function. I'm not saying it won't work, it might work great. I have seen this done on other vehicles by accident and the symptoms are usually popping when braking and low pedal/improper adjustment.

Thanks. I'm not experiencing any problems with my current stock drum setup, I was just wondering what options there might be.

Adjust them to where they actually need to be. Cherokee drum brakes do not hold an adjustment for to long. Some people have used larger bore wheel cylinder with good results/benifits as far as being able to apply the pressure to stop you. You can search for that as there should be a few threads on that along.

Keep the rear drum brakes in good shape and adjusted and save your money for front brake upgrades, that's where the real improvements are.

When the front is upgraded to WJ or Vanco brakes, during heavy braking, there is so much more weight transfer to the front that the rear brakes have less to do and become more prone to lockup.
I need to install an adjustable proportioning valve, on the rear brake line, so the rear discs can be dialed down when the roads are wet.

The Police Special drums are 10" instead of 9" and are finned to dump the heat. I looked into it hard and had issues finding the backing plate. All of the other parts are easily acquired. If I remember right, stock is 9"x2" and the Police is 10"x1.75". Still, all in all, a net gain. Or it would not be there.

Then it became academic as I replaced the back axle with a Currie...

Here's a dumb question. I probably even have the parts lying around, but I'm too lazy this morning to go out and look at details. Since renix-era brakes were 10 inch, with narrower drums, would the backing plates from an older axle work with the police package 10 inch setup?

I thought only police package and 44 rears got the 10 inch brakes on even RENIX era. I think you can tell by checking for cooling fins, the 10s have em, the 9s don't. Unless I'm badly mistaken.

It cost me 70 bucks to swap to discs on the rear (using junkyard rotors and pads... I got lucky, a ZJ with a recent brake job was in the yard) so I just did that instead of bothering with drums. I really hate installing drum brake springs/clips/cables/goofy hardware and getting mud/dirt out of drums anyways.

I thought only police package and 44 rears got the 10 inch brakes on even RENIX era. I think you can tell by checking for cooling fins, the 10s have em, the 9s don't. Unless I'm badly mistaken.

It cost me 70 bucks to swap to discs on the rear (using junkyard rotors and pads... I got lucky, a ZJ with a recent brake job was in the yard) so I just did that instead of bothering with drums. I really hate installing drum brake springs/clips/cables/goofy hardware and getting mud/dirt out of drums anyways.

you're badly mistaken...:doh: :)

the Renix era had 10"X 1.75 (IIRC) and the D44 came with 10"X2.something-- one too many drinks into the evening to go check......

.... and yes I know it's only 18:00

Last edited:
Keep the rear drum brakes in good shape and adjusted and save your money for front brake upgrades, that's where the real improvements are.

I'm going to disagree with this, in my experience. A rear disk upgrade is a nice step up from drums especially if you carry a load or pull a trailer that puts the weight square over the rear axle. My factory drums were in great shape but the ZJ rear disks and adjustable prop valve blows them away in performance on the hwy, and isn't touchy at all in wet conditions. Having an adjustable prop valve allows me to get all four corners to share the work, not just the front.

My 98 XJ with Black Magic pads/Centric rotors(front) ZJ factory disks(rear) will outperform my stock 2wd with EBC Green Stuff/factory drums every time. And it's on 35's and 600lbs heavier.

Vanco/WJ upgrades are excellent choices too. And so are the Black Magic/Centric Premium rotors if stock sized stuff is kept.

Last edited:
you're badly mistaken...:doh: :)

the Renix era had 10"X 1.75 (IIRC) and the D44 came with 10"X2.something-- one too many drinks into the evening to go check......

.... and yes I know it's only 18:00
my mistake :doh:

I'm only a couple drinks in myself... gotta weld later so I have to stay mostly sober :gee:

I'm going to disagree with this, in my experience. A rear disk upgrade is a nice step up from drums especially if you carry a load or pull a trailer that puts the weight square over the rear axle.
Vanco/WJ upgrades are excellent choices too. And so are the Black Magic/Centric Premium rotors if stock sized stuff is kept.

Not much disagreement here. I mostly like the ZJ discs. They are more powerful than the stock drums, which is good when loaded but more prone to lockup, when empty. ZJs have rear anti-lock brakes which controls the lockup problem, when stock. I need to install a adjustable proportioning valve to limit the rear when empty.
One thing I do dislike about the ZJ discs is the weakness of the parking brake. The drum is much smaller than the stock brakes and just doesn't have much power, even with all new parts, properly fitted.

My point was the front brakes are the ones in most need of improvement.
Changing to ZJ discs did not give much of a seat-of-the-pants sensation of more powerful brakes, not like when adding the Vancos.
The Vancos are a good addition, powerful enougth to lockup 33"s on pavement, at freeway speeds.
Later upgraded to the bigger Sport-Trac calipers and Black Magic pads, it now stops even better but the rear, when empty, lifts more, leading to earlier lock-up. The ZJ proportioning valve doesn't appear to be calibrated for the more powerful front brakes.
Like I said before, I need an adjustable proportioning valve.

One thing I do dislike about the ZJ discs is the weakness of the parking brake. The drum is much smaller than the stock brakes and just doesn't have much power, even with all new parts, properly fitted.

I can always get the ZJ parking brake to work perfectly when keeping the vehicle from rolling backwards, but not good at all, going forward.

My Suburban has a similar e-brake and it'll hold either direction, on a hill, with the RV hooked up too. :gee:

Back