• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Doorless

After re-aligning my doors after the mod they closed better than before. I would say that the doors are off of my Jeep Sun or snow 75% of the year... I say its no different than running sleds anyway, just bundle up. Never had any regrets going doorless. Im still waiting for someone to start manufacturing a set of fiberglass kickpanell enclosures for the front speakers.

After re-aligning my doors after the mod they closed better than before. I would say that the doors are off of my Jeep Sun or snow 75% of the year... I say its no different than running sleds anyway, just bundle up. Never had any regrets going doorless. Im still waiting for someone to start manufacturing a set of fiberglass kickpanell enclosures for the front speakers.

Check on www.Crutchfield.com, I know they used to sell them. wouldn't be surprised if they don't anymore though. I remember wanting a set when I got my first cherokee, but as my current one is a manual, I don't think there is room with where your foot goes for the clutch pedal.

Make some half doors. I guess the newer hinges are hard to work with, but doable.
dscn2883153.jpg

I e-mailed the state police, and its illegal to go doorless where I live.
:bawl::bawl::bawl::bawl:. I really wanted to take the doors off too, but my parents would'nt let me, and now that I know, I definitly can't and won't.

I think I will still make them removable for offroad stuff though.

Make some half doors. I guess the newer hinges are hard to work with, but doable.
dscn2883153.jpg

That tire tread bumper is kinda neat!

I e-mailed the state police, and its illegal to go doorless where I live.
:bawl::bawl::bawl::bawl:. I really wanted to take the doors off too, but my parents would'nt let me, and now that I know, I definitly can't and won't.

I think I will still make them removable for offroad stuff though.

That tire tread bumper is kinda neat!

I got a warning in PA once...I still do it on occasion though. The guy actually said they allowed wranglers to do it "because, they kinda look cool". But wranglers are allowed because they are "manufactured with no roof" (according to PA state law, that exempts them from the doors requirement)

I usually run half doors similar to those pictured above.

half doors or tube doors could provide the answer for those who want to take their doors off but the law doesnt allow

Only requirement up here according to the traffic act is you must have at least 1 rear facing mirror, no problems other than that.

I know the hindge pin needs to be removed/modified, but has anyone been able to come up with a setup for a 97+ that does not involve cutting/grinding your door hindge in half? I've searched and found the write-ups for cutting the bottom half of the hindge off, but that looks like it weakens the hindge more then I'd like. Please post pic's if you got something different. It might help the rest of us make-up our minds.
Thank you

Go read the writeup on Jeep Forum. On a '97 plus, just use a dremel to cut the hinge pins in half to get them out. Then replace with a 5/16" bolt and a nut. Done. If you want the doors to be a little more secure, you can drill out the hinges to 3/8" and not use the little crappy stock 'spacers' that go around the bolt.

^Not sure when or how many times it changed, but my hinge pins('89 4dr Pioneer) are 1/4". Just thought I'd put it out there.

sunburned said:
Picture a line drawn down the very center of the body from the mechanical fan center to the center of the rear license plate. The unibody twists around that axis when flexing.
Um, not sure about yours, but the line from the center of my mech. fan to the rear license plate is NOT axis of the jeep.

Yes. He was just using it as a point of reference to get the point across. Relax guys

I know thats what I said a few posts ago. but then he said this

Oh yeah, have you measured? Please school me on where the exact torsional axis of the Jeep unibody is.

suggesting that the fan is the true center axis point. by saying measured he loses the general/just to get the idea thing.

Back