• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Done with K&N

People clean stock paper filters?

I just throw it away after 10-15k and get another one for <$10

Not really clean it, but I do blow them off with air whenever I do an oil change.

Not really clean it, but I do blow them off with air whenever I do an oil change.

Same. I get all the dust out of it with compressed air. I chuck it if it gets wet, or oily.

I just purchased a Fram tough guard air filter for my new ZJ, very impressed for $12. But for off road dirt, nothing beats a paper filter.

Question: anybody ever make there own prefilter? wonder if I could put one on my snorkel.

Question: anybody ever make there own prefilter? wonder if I could put one on my snorkel.

Yeah, go to an online cycle supply like Chapparal or Dennis Kirk and look for Uni-Filter bulk foam. It's a flat square piece like 12x12 or so. Green is for primary air filter, Black is a very coarse open cell foam for prefilters. I run the black dry which I'm sure limits it's ability to stop fine dust. But I can simply rinse it and replace, so the convenience is worth it.

Got rid of my K&N 'couple years ago. Poor fit in the stock air box(very slightly too narrow)made it hard to re-install after service. Annoyed to find dust buildup in the intake tract. 'Decided it wasn't worth it and went back to dry paper.

Funny story about the Amsoil cone filter: Zoomy97ACR put one on the race truck for the VtoR-500 'couple years ago. Drivability problems starting at about mile-100 were traced to a clogged air filter. We had to stop and clean it twice before timing out at mile 254. Lasts 5 years my a**. Now we use a Napa tractor filter and carry a spare.

Funny story about the Amsoil cone filter: Zoomy97ACR put one on the race truck for the VtoR-500 'couple years ago. Drivability problems starting at about mile-100 were traced to a clogged air filter. We had to stop and clean it twice before timing out at mile 254. Lasts 5 years my a**. Now we use a Napa tractor filter and carry a spare.

Can you give me details on the tractor filter? I have to figure out what I'm going to use for an XJ racer. I was thinking of a dry cone filter with a heat shield and ducted air or a hood scoop. Maybe I want a tractor filter, if I can fit it.

A couple years ago I ditched the k&n cone on the fipk and switched to an amsoil eaau3090, which I like and will recommend to whoever uses cones. I got tired of the fine dust build up in the tube that the k&n was letting through. Nano-pore tech is the best of both worlds: filters better and flows better.

Anytime I go in deep mud or water, I get a new filter. Worth the $4 from advanced. Cheapest ones they got :)
This spring when I noticed the oil filling my air filter I actually was running junkyard filters for a while :gee: free, and I knew they got soaked with oil in a few weeks anyways... so who cares as long as they're mostly clean to start out.

Motor's coming out for a tranny swap and all new gaskets in the near future, so maybe I will stop having to do this soon.

I had the K and N fipk, sold it after less than a year. I found a lot of fine dust in the valve cover tube. Now I have the cowl snorkel, and it works well. I used one of those fram oiled tough guard filters, and it worked so well that it was clogged after one wheeling trip. (Sierra fest, where we were in a 7 miles dust cloud from the dry conditions.) I just use whatever random paper one on the street.

I saw an interesting argument on one of the JK forums. Someone had dunked their motor in a water crossing, and the paper filter absorbed the water, choked the motor, and stalled, without allowing any water in, saving the motor. I could see that being true.

I had the K and N fipk, sold it after less than a year. I found a lot of fine dust in the valve cover tube. Now I have the cowl snorkel, and it works well. I used one of those fram oiled tough guard filters, and it worked so well that it was clogged after one wheeling trip. (Sierra fest, where we were in a 7 miles dust cloud from the dry conditions.) I just use whatever random paper one on the street.

I saw an interesting argument on one of the JK forums. Someone had dunked their motor in a water crossing, and the paper filter absorbed the water, choked the motor, and stalled, without allowing any water in, saving the motor. I could see that being true.

That will happen with most filters. I was running a Spectre cone filter on my Mustang and when it rained really hard, the filter got wet and was choking the engine pretty badly. I guess that could potentially save the motor, but I would think an oiled filter would just repel the water as long as you didn't submerse it.

Back