• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

DIY Oil catch can problems

the_bandit87

NAXJA Forum User
so like most my jeep has a blow-by problem, and I went and made up a catch can tofix it, the problem is, my catchcan collapsed, the epoxy on the top didn't close, and I have had some problems geting it soldered (caught in maybe 3 places) so the can keeps collapsing and causing a vaccum leak.

so the large line that goes from the airbox to the valve cover is pulling a vaccum (as it should) and still puts oil into your airbox? oil usually "back flushes" when the smaller line from the vavle cover to the throttlebody gets clogged up. check that line. might be time to pull th evalve cover and clean it out.
your large line is SUPPOSED to draw a vaccum but not from a closed container.... let it breathe.
how much oil is coming out of it and under what conditions?

the_bandit87 said:
so like most my jeep has a blow-by problem, and I went and made up a catch can to fix it, the problem is, my catchcan collapsed, the epoxy on the top didn't close, and I have had some problems geting it soldered (caught in maybe 3 places) so the can keeps collapsing and causing a vaccum leak.

sidriptide said:
so the large line that goes from the airbox to the valve cover is pulling a vaccum (as it should) and still puts oil into your airbox?

He didn't say that line's pulling too much vacuum. As I understand it, the catch can lid caved in (probably under a small amount of vacuum) causing a leak, allowing some vacuum to escape causing a high idle. The solution is to fix the lid on the catch can properly (perhaps by welding it) so that it stays in place and doesn't cave in. An alternative solution might be to use a glass jar with a screw on lid as a catch can.

Back