• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ditching the front sway bar.

Just did an axle swap and haven't gotten around to hooking up the swaybar yet. I thought it was fine, and handled great on the road. Not too much body roll, got used to it pretty quick.

Last weekend took a sharp curve a little faster than I should have. The heep felt like it was going to tip over. Once I got to a cartain angle, my steering started to get away from me.

balloo93 said:
Maybe, maybe not. If they could prove that the guy couldn't avoid hitting her because he had to avoid something in the road, they could say he did EVRYTHING he could to avoid her...

No, I don't think so. I'm not required to "do everything I can" to avoid a collision.

I'm required to maintain an assured clear distance to traffic in front of me. I'm required to yield to pedestrians in the crosswalk. I'm not required to swerve around a ball-chasing wife. In fact, the law specifically forbids me to cross left-of-center. It doesn't list exceptions for when others are stupid.

In further fact, I know of many who have been cited for swerving out of their lane (and either causing or nearly causing an accident) to avoid a dog, many times a deer, and in one case a child who then fled the scene scared.

In every case the accusation was the same: It's your job to stop as soon as possible without leaving your lane of travel.

Now I'm not a fool. I know any scumbag shyster lawyer will use anything he can to try to wring money out of anybody he can. (And surely you're not using him as your moral compass, passxj... )

But for my sense of "right and wrong," I still say keep your kid out of the street...

Robert

passxj said:
And lastly, How would you feel if it were your Jeep that hurt someone because of the silly swaybar?

This is my main point. I'm sorry we got off track on the rest.

If a dog runs into the street, I'd re-act differently than if it were a child. Wouldn't you?

Quick discos are relatively cheap and easy to install, so what's all the fuss about? Get discos and be done with it. :thumbup:

GOOD LORD LOL.
Yes its better to have sway bars. But NO you do not have to use them. My point is lifting your Jeep in the first point is not safe. BUT WE STILL DO IT!!!!!

Narfxj said:
LOL I've never had any problems running no front or rear sway bars on both my cherokees. One with 5.5 inch lift. I've been running the rusty's 8 inch long arm lift kit for about two years with out any sway bars and this is my daily driver. I still have the JKS quicker disconnects brand new that came with the lift kit never installed.

How much you want for them discos?

passxj said:
How would you feel if it were your Jeep that hurt someone because of the silly swaybar?

This is my main point. I'm sorry we got off track on the rest.

And my main point is that if my Jeep were to hurt someone, it simply wouldn't be because of "the silly swaybar."

It would be because someone (either me behind the wheel, or the kid under the wheel) did something they shouldn't have. Period.

Robert

after wheeling relatively hard today (yanking my freind TJ on 33"s out of a mud hole that i had no problem on 31"s) and nearly going airborne when i go to the other side of the mudhole (ground was higher near the ending and hit it full speed) i realized i lost the bolt holding on the front swaybar my drivers side. i did not even notice it until i got home, when my jeep was sitting more to one side than the other, it seemed to drive fine, but i also lost the rubber bushing, what can i use to temporarily fix this? i still have my bushings for the upper shock mounts in the front from my old shocks, will these work? also, how tight should i torque them down? apparently i did not do it enough last time.

I don't run sway bars on mine got sick of breaking the shank that the disco slids on at the axle.

Drive slow hang up your phone and pay attention.

I would be more worried about half the junk on the road running with bald tires junk brakes and whatnot then someone with a discoed sway bar.

Voluster said:
Drive slow hang up your phone and pay attention.

I would be more worried about half the junk on the road running with bald tires junk brakes and whatnot then someone with a discoed sway bar.

Aay-men.

Robert

Well, if the vehicle rolled over on your wife on a turn due to them driving too fast.....well...

But if they hit your wife from behind and you found out they didn't have swaybars, how is that a connection? It really isn't.

Blaine B. said:
Well, if the vehicle rolled over on your wife on a turn due to them driving too fast.....well...

But if they hit your wife from behind and you found out they didn't have swaybars, how is that a connection? It really isn't.
Wife driving my Jeep??? No way!

Back