• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Difficulty of installing RE 4.5" Kit

Its a 1999 2D sport with 5spd manual, NP231 t-case, chrysler 8.25 rear, and stock everything

with a 5spd, you may get lucky and not get bad vibs. if you get vibs, hopefully a transfercase drop and/or shims will take care of them.

5spd's have longer rear driveshafts with slightly less of an angle because of the length of the 5spd trans is shorter then the aw4.

Is there a shimming guide anywhere on this site? I searched shim but i think it might be been too short for the search feature. Does anyone know of an axle shimming article or guide?

I ordered my kit today! Its not going to be shipped until July unfortunately because RE is having some trouble with their leaf springs but It just gives me more time to PB blast those bolts =). I ordered it from Bob Supplee who gave me an awesome deal with even better service. Lift, shocks, shims, and shock boots for 1120 shipped is just the best deal around! (if you find a better one don't tell me haha I don't want to deal with that)

Ill be updating every so often but will likely start a build thread.

Thanks for all the help everybody.

What exactly is going on with their leaf springs? I have just received my 4.5 kit this past week and plan on install this weekend. But I don't want to run shit leaves...

They received a set that failed quality control that THEY put all their springs through. If you were sent springs it means they passed quality control so you shouldn't have anything to worry about...

that said I would still call them and just double check to make sure you got send a quality product

"takes time and patience, more for some depending on the amount of rust and broken bolts" ... yeah if you got a rusty 2000 XJ from upstate NY good luck, im currently installing the 4.5" on mine. I spent 8 hours in the shop yesterday on a 2 post hydraulic lift and i only got the rear done, i replaced my shackles while i was in there, took me almost 4 hours in 100 degree shop with an industrial fan, i highly recommend getting a few friends together, it probably would have gone alot faster.

i hope yours it alot easier, good luck !

oh and i wont mention my seriously discounted price that i paid about 70% less than you, lol

Im in the same boat with you im gonna go a RE 3.5" lift and im just really scared of the lower leaf spring bolts im been soaking all the bolts since march i hope all goes well for you.

OK OK OK this thread is now more or less ancient. But It takes awhile for some things to happen and its finally time.

So the lift has been installed. I did it! Thanks for all the help guys. It was pretty bad i am not going to lie. There was only one bolt on the entire rear that did not break or need to be cut out. I had to retap all the rear upper shock mounts and cut out all of my leafs and shackles.

Other than broken bolts it was more or less easy! Sure a 10 year old rig from New Hampshire has a ton of rust and corrosion which made every piece a battle to get off but once the old was off putting the new in was easy! I feel pretty good to have done my first lift kit at the tender age of 17 but now that its done I couldn't be happier. I need to thank Bob Supplee at 4WD enterprises for getting me a great price and all the members here who helped me through the wet feet i got before the install.

Well thanks again and Ill be sure to get pics up here one of these days

Hey, I just dove into my first lift install. It was the RE 5.5 long arm kit. It wasn't too bad, just took time and patience. Also I'm from NH, I don't know where you located, but if you need a hand let me know. I'm always down to help a fellow jeeper

Back