• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Diff fluid capacity on 8.25

Peregrine

NAXJA Forum User
I have searched and can't seem to find a solid answer on the 8.25. Seems like this would be a common question, but I guess not. I am putting on my Rockcrusher diff covers next weekend on the D30 and 8.25 and each of them have a raised fill plug. A buddy of mine filled his D44 to the level of the raised plug and he had massive foaming and fluid expelled out of the vent tube. I don't have rotated housings, so I just want to fill the required amount. D30 is 1 quart or 1.25 quart. I have heard 2 quarts and 3 quarts for 8.25. Which one is it? Thanks!

The 8.25 is about 2.5qts, and the D30 should be about 1.5qts. I would recommend 75W-140 synthetic. I usually get it from the BG rep that comes to where I work.

May I ask why you recommend 75W-140? I don't tow and I don't drive my XJ hard. It's driven harder than any street vehicle...comes with the territory on the trails. I have been running 75W-90 Mobil 1 synthetic in every one of my 4x4 vehicles since I have been able to drive. Never have had any issues. I have always wanted to know, by personal experience, why to recommend 75W-140. I know what the labels say and they wouldn't sell it if it didn't have it's advantages. Just curious. Thanks!

Find all your fluid capacites here - I'll be adding more as I get more manuals. http://www.kelleyswip.com/fluids.html

As far as specs, go with NLGI GL-5, 80W-90 or 75W-90 (depending on which you find.) 75W-140 is really only needed for severe service - read: towing and hauling frequently.

Check to make sure whether or not you have a clutch-based limited slip (you can usually see the clutch packs behind the side gears, inside the carrier.) If you do, add two ounces of LSD Friction Modifier additive (I'll usually dump the additive in after the first quart goes in.) If you're not sure, add the FM anyhow - it won't harm anything if you don't have it.

Your D30 front, if still original, is all but guaranteed to not have the LSD. Again, tho, adding it to the front axle won't harm anything, so you can go ahead and pre-add it to your entire stock of GL-5.

NB: If you have the AX-15 manual, you'll want to use NLGI GL-3 gear oil for it. GL-3 and GL-5 should still be commonly available - and, unlike engine oil (through API Service SL,) NLGI specifications are not backwards compatible!

Performance synthetics have two potentially useful properties:
1) Most of them have LSD FM pre-added. If they specifically say they do, you don't need to purchase it separately. READ THE LABEL!

2) An increasing number of NLGI GL-5 spec gear lubes are using EP additives that are safe for use with yellow metals. If you have an AX-15, check the MFR lit - if they've got "safe" additives, you can go ahead and use them in the AX-15 as well. READ THE LABEL!

If you have the BA-10/5 manual or the AW4 automatic, ignore the previous information about yellow metals. The BA-10/5 uses aluminum synchroniser rings, and the AW4 uses Dexron II/IIE/III/VI Automatic Transmission Fluid.

Nice page, 5-90!

I've got info for 1999 and 2000 if you want it.

From FSM? Please! I'm trying to do a reorg (probably get some site work done while my wife is having her new right knee put in next week...) so it would be a good time to add data...

Email it to me at my NAXJA addy, please!

Back