• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Diesel Truck: FORD OR DODGE

fdsa487

NAXJA Forum User
I cant choose between the two. I know that the Cummins is a better engine, but the ford has a better transmission. I always keep up on the maintenance on my vehicles so maybe its not a concern?

What about a 7.3 ford... cant go wrong? All the 7.3 ford diesel trucks that I am seeing now have high miles because I think they stopped making them in '03

Or I could get a newer Dodge 04/05... I read a lot of negative things about the Dodge's transmissions...

*I just think my biggest concern is the transmission. I know pretty much all diesel engines will last a while. I has to be an automatic 100% sure of that because my wife will need to drive it every now and then.

I tow a 21' toy hauler fully loaded (rhino, 2 motorcycles, water, coolers, everything else needed for a camping trip) Its around 8,000 lbs fully loaded.
Right now I use a 5.3 4x4 Silverado to pull it and that is going to be traded for a diesel. Im killing that truck in towing this thing.

Superduty... 7.3...

Of course I'm just going by opinion and seeing my buddy's trucks lay waste to dodges in the wal-mart parking lot.

fdsa487 said:
I know that the Cummins is a better engine, but the ford has a better transmission

I agree with that. How much do you have to spend? Also, 3/4ton or 1ton? Dually?
I'd either go for the 7.3 Powerjoke or the DMax/Allison (I know you where asking Ford/Dodge, but GM is just plain... better :thumbup:)

fdsa487 said:

Right now I use a 5.3 4x4 Silverado to pull it and that is going to be traded for a diesel. Im killing that truck in towing this thing.
How well does that tow? That's what I'm driving now and will be using that to tow my Jeep/trailer with. Do you have 4.10s or 3.73s? I know it's no Diesel, but how well does it do?

Last edited:
Why don't you buy a Dodge with a Six speed manual?

The Autos suck just as bad in the Fords. If you are concerned with maintenance I would stay the hell away from Ford all together. Even if they have a somewhat, maybe, questionable, little bit better auto, the rest of the truck is a pile of junk.
fdsa487 said:
I cant choose between the two. I know that the Cummins is a better engine, but the ford has a better transmission. I always keep up on the maintenance on my vehicles so maybe its not a concern?

What about a 7.3 ford... cant go wrong? All the 7.3 ford diesel trucks that I am seeing now have high miles because I think they stopped making them in '03

Or I could get a newer Dodge 04/05... I read a lot of negative things about the Dodge's transmissions...

*I just think my biggest concern is the transmission. I know pretty much all diesel engines will last a while. I has to be an automatic 100% sure of that because my wife will need to drive it every now and then.

I tow a 21' toy hauler fully loaded (rhino, 2 motorcycles, water, coolers, everything else needed for a camping trip) Its around 8,000 lbs fully loaded.

RCman said:

I'd either go for the 7.3 Powerjoke or the DMax/Allison (I know you where asking Ford/Dodge, but GM is just plain... better :thumbup:)

How well does that tow? That's what I'm driving now and will be using that to tow my Jeep/trailer with. Do you have 4.10s or 3.73s? I know it's no Diesel, but how well does it do?

3/4 ton non-dually is what im looking for f250 maybe 2500 dodge.

It tows okay. I dont know what gears it has its a 4x4 z71. There are times that its at 4K RPM in 2nd gear just trying to go up grades and keep it at 50mph. On the flats it totally fine no problems. I live in Souther California and heading out to the desert there are a lot of long steep grades. I would imagine that a jeep on a trailer would weigh about the same.

DrMoab said:
Why don't you buy a Dodge with a Six speed manual?

The Autos suck just as bad in the Fords. If you are concerned with maintenance I would stay the hell away from Ford all together. Even if they have a somewhat, maybe, questionable, little bit better auto, the rest of the truck is a pile of junk.

has to be an automatic because my wife will need to drive it every now and then.

No personal experience, but one of my buddies has an '05 Dodge 2500 4x4 with the Cummins and the auto tranny, it's a great truck and he really likes it. He hauls his CJ-7 around on a fairly regular basis and he has nothing but good things to say about the truck.

The last few years have seen upgrades in the auto tranny's. My first Diesel was a '96 Dodge 2500 4x4 and I blew the tranny 3 times towing. Third time I had it done by a guy who builds race tranny's and had no problems. The initial problem was that the Manufacturers were putting tranny's designed for gas motors behind the diesel using torque converters from the gas motors as well. The low speed torque of the deisel would overheat the converters and the tranny's. When I bought my '05 Dodge 3500, I decided to go with the 6 speed. Gets tiring sometimes rowing through the gears but, I like it. I would say take a hard look at the Dodge. For the money, I think it is a better deal. And they have the 100k warranty...

RCman said:

X2 on the GM DMax/Allison

ZacSquatch said:
Superduty... 7.3...

Of course I'm just going by opinion and seeing my buddy's trucks lay waste to dodges in the wal-mart parking lot.

The 'stroke may beat it unloaded but hook them up to a trailer and my money is on the Dodge. very few will dispute that the Cummins is a better towing motor because of the I-6 configuration.

If I had to DD the truck, personally I'd prefer the Ford for the interior. If its a dedicated tow rig/ spare vehicle, I'd get the Dodge.

Both Ford and Dodge autos will go out at about the same intervals; if you're buying a higher mileage truck be mentally prepared to spend some coin on a transmission at some point.

Is this a real question. I have trouble getting my fleet truck worked on because so many powerjokes are in the bay's

STOP STROKIN AND START CUMMIN (or Duramaxing) :)

In my life I have never seen anyone switch from a Dodge to a Ford, everyone I know has switched from a Ford to a Dodge. Fords only good diesel was the 7.3, all the others see more shop time than towing time. The Cummins is still the best as far as reliabilty ane thougness is concerned, the Duramax is also a good engine though.
I would say if you want a Diesel with an Automatic your only choice is a Duramax with the Allison. It is by far the best Auto tranny they put behind a Diesel engine. If you buy a Ford or Dodge with a automatic and use it for towing expect to replace it numerous times or just go get it rebuilt correctly right away. There are some magical Dodges and Fords still running automatics that have never been rebuilt but they most likely were not used for towing much at all. I work at a warehouse and sometimes I get product delivered by people who use Diesel 1 ton trucks with flat beds, guess what every single one of these guys are using to tow with!!! They all have Dodge 1 tons with a Cumins engine and a 6 speed stick tranny. I always ask how many miles they have on their trucks and I have yet to hear any of them say under 300,000 miles. I then ask if they have any non-maint problems and they all say no, that is why they buy cummins!
If it were up to me though I would get a Dodge with a 6 speed stick, Automatics are not for towing no matter what they say. Teach your wife to drive a stick, she needs to know how to drive a stick anyways!

Last edited:
I own an 01' Dodge 2500 Cummins, I haven't had any trouble with it and I towed pretty much everything I owned behind it for about 3000miles down from Alaska. I love it, I wouldn't get a Ford just because I'm a GM guy. I bought the dodge because I love the Cummins motor, I got about 12.5 mpg towing 20,000#'s plus so that is something to be said for the engine, as for the transmission it held up fine and the only thing that has gone wrong with it was a sensor that was maybe a $100. If you don't mess with the power and give it 100+ hp your tranny will be fine. My truck only has 86,000 on it though. But in my opinion if you are buying a truck based on a diesel you can't go wrong with a Cummins.

GM have good motor's; now. Don't get one older than 05' or newer than 07'. We drive an 08' with the LLY I think is the engine designation,and it has been in the shop 3 times already for maintenance. Granted we are tough on our trucks at work but we recieved the truck with 603 miles on it, so past the breakin period. It now only has 1500ish and the turbo isn't spooling anymore and we keep getting check engine lights on it. So I definately would not buy one of those. Just my 2cents.

Tyler
*If you have any questions about my experience with the 5.9L Cmmins feel free to PM me*

Ohh and have you noticed you never see anybody putting a 7.3, 6.5, 6.2 into a Dodge but there are plenty of Cummins swaps into Fords and Chevy's?

*Edit* Damn jeepboy381 beat me to it...

Cummins. Do it right the first time :)

And you guys with the 5.3L Silverado's, PM me please....i'd like to run a couple of things by you.

fdsa487, There is a reason why 99% of work trucks out there are Ford Super Duty Trucks. Why they are all White I don't know, but 99% of all work trucks in any fleet, from Construction to Iron Working to Surveying, all use the Ford super duty line of trucks. Tell me have You ever seen a Dodge Parks and Rec truck where you are from. Or what about a Chevy Water Dept. Truck? But I must say that the Chevy Duramax/ Allison Combo is very strong. They just cost about $15,000 more than a comparatively optioned Ford

1985xjlaredo said:
fdsa487, There is a reason why 99% of work trucks out there are Ford Super Duty Trucks. Why they are all White I don't know, but 99% of all work trucks in any fleet, from Construction to Iron Working to Surveying, all use the Ford super duty line of trucks. Tell me have You ever seen a Dodge Parks and Rec truck where you are from. Or what about a Chevy Water Dept. Truck? But I must say that the Chevy Duramax/ Allison Combo is very strong. They just cost about $15,000 more than a comparatively optioned Ford

So you are saying because 99% of the work trucks out there are Ford Super Duty Trucks becase they are the best?

I have seen police/rangers at Gordons Well Sand Dunes in 4x4 diesel dodge trucks in the sand. They are the ones that give tickets.

Because Ford's are cheaper and the gov't and companies spends as little money on things that matter as possible. Then they buy the most expensive sh!t we don't use. And I'm pretty sure it isn't 99%, I live in a heavy farming area and a large percentage not going to say 99% and be completely wrong like previously but a large percentage none the less that are Cummins powered Dodge's. So I would go more for the people that use their trucks for what they need rather than a company buying a ton and getting at the lowest price. Again just my 2cents but that seems like common sense...

Back