• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dewalt Impact Wrench

Mighty.Mighty_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I need schooling.

I received a 1/2" Dewalt impact wrench from Santa because he was tired of seeing me change wheels manually. It's electric & a monster (to me), so big I'm afraid of it (how many of you have ever heard that? :D).
So how does it differ from an electric drill/driver? I've never used one ... anything special I need to know before using one? Can I just buy any 1/2" socket extender to use with it? I know it might seem like a stupid question but ... un-stupid me, please. The only paper it came with is safety instructions & warnings. I'm no stranger to basic power tools (I own drills, a Rotozip spiral saw, grinder, Dremel etc.) but this thing is so beefy & heavy, it gives me pause ...

Dewalt DW292K

Edit: brain f---.

Last edited:
You definately need impact sockets and accessories.

Put on the correct size impact socket. Hold it like you would hold a machine gun and start blazing away. Wear safety goggles.

I have that same model. It seems like a very nice tool, but I haven't had the chance to use it for anything serious yet. Go buy some 1/2" drive impact sockets!! And when you are putting the lugs back on, hand thread them a bit first haha

I have 90% of my lift parts sitting at my house so in the next month or so I should be able to report on how hard this thing hits. Supposed to have 345 ft-lb :rolleyes:

Put on the correct size impact socket. Hold it like you would hold a machine gun and start blazing away. Wear safety goggles.
exactly.

Impact sockets are softer metal, so they flex instead of shattering when hit by the impact. You need impact drive extensions as well if you're going to use extensions.

I wouldn't use em to put wheels on though, I prefer hand tightening for that. I don't use a torque wrench when tightening my lug nuts but cranking them on with an impact gun is something I'd never do.

Definitely buy impact extensions and sockets--Harbor Freight is good enough for impact tools.

A**uming that is a variable speed electric impact gun? Just set it on the lowest setting when doing wheels, or purchase a torque stick extension for about 10-20 percent less than what you want the ultimate torque to be set at--I always prefer to hand torque wheels for the final setting.

Definitely buy impact extensions and sockets--Harbor Freight is good enough for impact tools.

A**uming that is a variable speed electric impact gun? Just set it on the lowest setting when doing wheels, or purchase a torque stick extension for about 10-20 percent less than what you want the ultimate torque to be set at--I always prefer to hand torque wheels for the final setting.

I recently got an impact gun(air) and I use it to put lugs back on with a lower torque setting. My gun allows for separate settings in forward and reverse. It's nice having full power for reverse then 1/5 power forward with the flick of a switch. Then I do a pass with the torque wrench as usual.

I'm never in a nascar pit crew time challenge but it is nice to zip the lugs back on quickly.

Well I ran out to Harbor Freight before I got any replies here ... found out (as said above) that it will require special sockets. From looking at them I thought that they were tougher - thanks for that tip about the softer metal, Ken. Glad I posted this because yesterday I realized that the gun would not fit with the extended lug socket for my Durango. So I happily bought an extension at Sears ... only to find out now that I need impact accessories instead, and the extension will be unnecessary.

Live & learn. Thanks for the info guys!

Oh ... and I would mostly use it to take the lug nuts off. I too am a firm believer in the torque wrench & keep one in the D. Now all I need to get, along with impact sockets, are wrist supports. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna twist my wrists using this beast. Almost broke them the first time I tried drilling into metal. My wrists are tiny :(.

most electric impact wont torque past 110ft/lb or so, tho we never tested a dewault.
they work wonders and make trail fixes a breeze! (get an impact wobbly socket to make getting other things off easier as well :thumbup: )
if the nut/bolt you are hammering at doesnt come off first few tries, dont sit there and beat the crap out of the gun, they toss bearings or break hammers easily if you just beat on it for a minute trying to get something stuck in place off. dont be afraid to use a breaker bar first then zap it with the gun....

but its a great tool, especially on the trail!

I have this same model. I've been using it for ~3 years now.
Great tool, it's handled every job I've thrown at it.
From your original link...
"345 ft-lbs of deliverable torque in forward and reverse"
Power source is 110 AC

yep... just don't expect to be able to hold onto anything it's trying to turn.

I tried to remove some UCA bolts a while ago with mine. Grabbed the nut with my leatherman and zapped the bolt with the impact. All that happened was I was very abruptly holding a leatherman with no tips on the pliers - it broke about half an inch off each so quickly I didn't even see it happen.

I tried to remove some UCA bolts a while ago with mine. Grabbed the nut with my leatherman and zapped the bolt with the impact. All that happened was I was very abruptly holding a leatherman with no tips on the pliers - it broke about half an inch off each so quickly I didn't even see it happen.

Dewalt impact gun: $125.00

Leatherman tool: $49.99

The look on Kastein's face: PRICELESS! :scared:

Actually, I just sorta looked at it and said to myself "damnit, only had it back from warranty service for a month..."

Never did find the portions that broke off.

I have the IR 231C - same basic design they've been selling for ~25 years.

You sir are a lucky man. I pulled the same dumbass move 3 years ago rushing to get a part bolted back up for a customer and broke 2 fingers and nearly severed my pinky.

do NOT hold onto anything attached to an impact gun. Also worth mentioning is be very afraid of wobble type impact sockets, and impact universal joints. they like to get flung in the worst possible direction (ie your face) if they slip off the nut/bolt you are tightening.

Yeah, for sure. It was a bonehead move and I won't be doing it again :shocked:

I'm really glad I was holding the nut with my leatherman instead of something "proper" like a box wrench, which would have instantly spun around and pinned my fingers between the UCA mount and the wrench, with similar results to yours. As it is, I learned in a hurry to not mess around when impact wrenches are involved, and keep my hands out of the way.

My IR 231C puts out as much torque as the 4.0 (around 300lbft) so I'm not sure why I thought it was a wise plan to do so in the first place. I guess it was the "well, this impact wrench fits in my hand and doesn't look all that powerful, and it's a small bolt I just need to remove real quick... stupid thing..." mentality.

Oh crap ... now I'm even more scared of the damn thing. Lug nuts and nothing else for me. If I break something on the trail it'll be available for someone to use, but not me.

just be wary of it, it's no different than an air ratchet - just more powerful.

If you don't want it I'll trade you for a nice lug wrench :D

Bottom line is if you are afraid of it, you'll hurt yourself with it. Treat it like any other tool, try it out and see how it works - you'll know right away if it's right for you or not by the big smile on your face :D

Back