• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Deer Valley Closure from Jan 1 - July 31?

the_weirdo

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
It looks like that, on the part that is currently already closed. The 4 side will still be unaffected.

I think we should fight that -July 31st part down to maybe May 31st. Thats pretty ridiculous.

They Are Closing It For The Frog. Must Be Active Around That Time. This Really sucks

Total BS. I want to see evidence that a ton of those fronts live in the 50 foot wide area where we will be crossing compared to the rest of the entire damn forest. Are you kidding me?

We proposed scientific monitor of the trail, the Forest Service is sold on the July 31st date. Just Google Yellow Legged Toad Breeding Habits and you’ll find the toads don’t stop doing it till July 31st. Now you wouldn’t want to be watching the little bug eaters doing their thing would you?
Seriously the Forest Service has no scientific reason for this date. This is the beginning of the NEPA process that is required in order to open the trail. We only have a few days to comment on this but I have no idea on how to comment at this time. Is there anyone out there that studies Toads with an XJ?

Well a blanket approach is easier and less costly than a yearly study that, bases on temperature and weather, would float this date.

Frogs are cold blooded so saying these dates would be the mating season on a mild winter covers their butt with nothing more done than a Google search.

I want to know after the rocks are put into the rivers at the crossings will this change the sediment impact on the frogs?

Will this date change after the improvements?

Can the Sierra Chapter help in hauling rock and making crossings?

I thought we heard back from the El Dorado Forrest that they would welcome our help when the time came. Do we need to nudge them?

As I mentioned before the Forest Service has given no scientific reason for this date. From what I have been reading on the Yosemite Toad it’s more about the wetness of the meadow than sediment or temperature. I could not find any articles on Motorized Recreation versa Yosemite Toad; I did fine this paper on Yosemite Toad versa Cattle Grazing. http://www.caes.ucdavis.edu/news/ar...-toad-undeterred-by-cows-grazing-in-meadows-1

I and other CORVA Board members will be meeting with Cal4Wheel board members next week to work together on a response to the Forest Service.

As I understand the hardening of the river crossing is not an issue, I we check if the Forest Service needs help as far as moving rock. The Eldorado is a shorthanded at this time, all resources are being deverted to the King Fire Rehabilitation project.

We really need to find a Wildlife Biologist that we can work with, does anyone one?

Back