• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Deciding what to do with my time and $$$$...

Muddy Beast

NAXJA Forum User
I have a few ideas kicking around in my head, and I can't decide which route I should further explore so I figured I'd post here and see what you guys think.

Option 1. Buy a motorcycle. I drive to school (approx 13 miles there, 13 back) everyday and it's slowly killing my wallet getting 13mpgs in the Jeep in city/stop and go traffic. I also commute to work about 10 miles away ~3-4 times a week. May not seem like much, but dropping $60 a week in gas is pretty crappy when you're barely recovering that from work.

I'm thinking something like a used Kawasaki Ninja 500, they can be found for around $2000 in good shape and the 500CC motor would be plenty of power for a beginner/commuter and would be lower to insure (assuming I insure the bike to begin with). I would essentially turn this into commute duty (invest in good clothing/gear too) and use the Jeep when it's really crummy out.

2009_Kawasaki_Ninja_500R_sports_bikes.jpg

Option 2. I've always wanted to chop my Jeep, and take some time to do some serious fabrication (well, for me anyways). I've always liked the look, and the functionality for carrying my bike and other goodies is nice. It would be a great project, and if all goes well it'd be something others look at in jealousy. I'm thinking something like this... (only incorporating my thors into it, a halo-ish cage, rocker replacements, etc.).

163_0811_2008_sema_01z+1989_Jeep_Cherokee_Sport+rear.jpg

Option 3. Build up a hardtail bike (no rear suspension). Another park bike like I used to have (see pic bellow). I've been getting a good amount of ride time on my Specialized SX Trail and can only see benefits to another hardtail and throwing down on that. It's a blast riding these things on the street randomly at night, and a great way to get a quick "fix" on the bike.

1928038215_8cdc34b11c.jpg

What would you do and why?

~Scott

I would look on craigs for a used Honda (something with great gas mileage) for cheap. Commute in the cheap car and wheel the XJ..............

You're forgetting something...I'm 18 and insurance is $2000 a year for me. This is why I've been looking into a motorcycle (wanted to get one this winter before I flopped) because you don't HAVE to get insurance, and if you do it's still affordable.

~Scott

I would buy my used kawasaki 500 b/c I dont have money for it and have been trying to sell it for a while haha. Its an 06 and I believe it has a tick over 4k miles. Definitely an awesome bike for beginner but its not too slow. Fastest I got it was 130. (Although that was going downhill with the wind behind me and I ripped ass...) Gets about 50mpg too, and thats not driving it easy.

sellbike1.jpg

sellbike2.jpg

sellbike3.jpg

If not I would say hard tail. That bike looks sick.

The mileage on a bike is great for sure. But remember... this is washington. Unless you drop cash on a Cruizer youll either be cold or wet most of the time. So you can get the bike, dress warm and only use it on days its not going to rain. Then use it to get tail in the summer ;) Or you can just pickup a $500 87ish honda that gets 40mpg, and a heater :)

The amount you'll spend on a bike ($2-3K) could be spent on a older used commuter car in the 30-ish MPG range and leave you money for gas for awhile. I would recommend against the motorcycle for a few reasons:

Weather: It sucks around here. You have about a 5-6 month realistic riding season. The rest of the year on a bike is miserable. Throw in additional monies for foul-weather gear and you're way over the budget it'd take to buy a used commuter car.

Safety: People don't see bikes on the street, they just don't. Couple that with poor visibility from rain/darkness, and you're constantly in danger of some dimbulb cutting you off, running you off the road, plowing into you. A bike is fine as a toy, sucks as a commuter. I did it myself for a couple of years in my late teens/early twenties, it's no fun.

Age/experience: Some people might psshaw this one, but it's a factor IMO. I somehow survived motorcycling as a young man, with no less than a half-dozen razor-thin close calls that could have easily led to death or permanent disability. As a young man, you're not as cautious or experienced, have a tendancy to drive faster, don't pay as much attention on the road. All of this is a very bad combination on a motorcycle.

One more thing, do your parents know that you plan on buying a motorcycle? I'm guessing your Mom would not be thrilled. :D

The amount you'll spend on a bike ($2-3K) could be spent on a older used commuter car in the 30-ish MPG range and leave you money for gas for awhile. I would recommend against the motorcycle for a few reasons:

Weather: It sucks around here. You have about a 5-6 month realistic riding season. The rest of the year on a bike is miserable. Throw in additional monies for foul-weather gear and you're way over the budget it'd take to buy a used commuter car.

Safety: People don't see bikes on the street, they just don't. Couple that with poor visibility from rain/darkness, and you're constantly in danger of some dimbulb cutting you off, running you off the road, plowing into you. A bike is fine as a toy, sucks as a commuter. I did it myself for a couple of years in my late teens/early twenties, it's no fun.

Age/experience: Some people might psshaw this one, but it's a factor IMO. I somehow survived motorcycling as a young man, with no less than a half-dozen razor-thin close calls that could have easily led to death or permanent disability. As a young man, you're not as cautious or experienced, have a tendancy to drive faster, don't pay as much attention on the road. All of this is a very bad combination on a motorcycle.

:D

X2 When I was your age, a motorcycle was my only means of transportation for a short period of time. I can say the only reason I'm not dead or worse is because of luck. I believe a bike can make sense as primary transportation, but not in Washington. There are two kinds of riders....

If not I would say hard tail. That bike looks sick.

Yeah that was my old hardtail, definitely was sick. Tell me more about what you want for your motorcycle.

One more thing, do your parents know that you plan on buying a motorcycle? I'm guessing your Mom would not be thrilled. :D

Parents know I was planning to buy one this winter, but it never happened obviously. My dad has had a bike for a long time (lost part of his finger on it), and they know I know how to handle a pedal bike pretty well. I don't think either of them LIKE the idea, but so long as I pay for it it's my deal.

Tell me more about the weather issue though. I know many park the bike when it rains, I ask why? I realize traction is shit, but what about the bike, can the bike handle rain? (as in will I get water in the motor or something dumb?) I see no problem commuting in rain, unless it's a down pour I still plan to ride in it. I know the importance of getting good gear so I'd of course do that, and wear it every time I ride. And back to the 'buy a honda, it's safer and gets good mile-age' thing, I can't afford insuring two cars at my age. I'd be paying $2000 a year extra on a Honda, versus spending that on a motorcycle and being done.

Honestly, Look into a brand new Ninja 250r.. They get 60-70mpg, They are full size, and look like a fullsize, Dirt cheap on insurance, they have a great amount of power for only being a 250cc bike, but the best part, a brand new bike.. for about $3 grand.

http://www.amadirectlink.com/riding/reviews/2008/Ninja250R/

It's an option for sure, but if I can get a bigger motor for less, why not? :)

~Scott

Last edited:
Yeah whatever you do definitely don't get a 250. I think you would really regret it. Once you actually feel comfortable with the bike you'll be wanting a new one. The 500 has much more power, although not too much, and it drives a lot better on the freeway. Just my opinion.

Sent you a pm.

Screw all that...

Hookers and Blow.. get it done while your young.

haha.

but seriously, think about how many motorcycles you see on the streets year round.
not many, i betcha. theres a reason for that - it just isn't fun nor safe.

its not that you couldn't handle the bike in the wet - although it does present a challenge.
its that there are HUNDREDS of idiots on the roads who can end your party in a heartbeat.
id hate to hear about an accident.

plus, since your other option is a 'for fun' mountain bike..
..you arent REALLY trying to solve the commute issue..
..you just want some more toys!
can't blame ya, toys are rad.

nothing wrong with saving money, like dustin said.

or, start playing guitar - then you'll never have enough money to get the stuff you want.

; )

kndrewa, you're half right. I'm not trying to SOLVE the commute problem, BUT a fix on the commute AND a toy would be fantastic. I basically need a new shift in project direction (that's how I like to think of it anyways). :)

Surprisingly I see a decent number of motorcycles on my way to school though. If my commute was longer and more on the freeway I'd probably stay away from a bike, but since my commute is all city and relatively short it doesn't seem like AS bad of an idea as an hour commute on a bike would be.

~Scott

I would look on craigs for a used Honda (something with great gas mileage) for cheap. Commute in the cheap car and wheel the XJ..............

I'm not a big fan of bikes, to meany of my friend have gone down!
Get a older Honda. My 87 Honda accord LXI (sweet 2 door 5speed 4cly) I got 35mpg.

Tell me more about the weather issue though. I know many park the bike when it rains, I ask why? I realize traction is shit, but what about the bike, can the bike handle rain? (as in will I get water in the motor or something dumb?) I see no problem commuting in rain, unless it's a down pour I still plan to ride in it. I know the importance of getting good gear so I'd of course do that, and wear it every time I ride.

~Scott

Use your head, Scott. The "issue" is that it flat-out sucks to ride in the rain and cold. Traction is an issue, especially on changing road surfaces. (pavement to blacktop, gravel or oil on the road) Grated bridge decking is another sweet surface, like riding though a huge trough of shallow marshmallow. The road noise is deafening in the rain, the drops on your helmet visor are annoying, you're either wet or covered in an extra five pounds of plastic/nylon that is a PITA to get into and out of every time.

Really, you won't be able to "appreciate" it until you spend some time doing it. I didn't care for it. Cars are enclosed and have heaters and wipers for a reason, because you're supposed to drive a car in shitty weather. Maybe you're some sort of masochist and you'll enjoy it, I dunno.

Yeah whatever you do definitely don't get a 250. I think you would really regret it. Once you actually feel comfortable with the bike you'll be wanting a new one. The 500 has much more power, although not too much, and it drives a lot better on the freeway. Just my opinion.

Sent you a pm.
But his main thing was fuel mileage.. Imagine $10 getting you Well over 300 miles.

And if the 250r was as slow as you'r stating, It probably wouldnt be the #1 selling Ninja. Infact, I feel confident that a 09' 250r would probably Keep up with an older 500..

dont knock it till you ride it, you would be suprised!

Last edited:
Really, you won't be able to "appreciate" it until you spend some time doing it. I didn't care for it. Cars are enclosed and have heaters and wipers for a reason, because you're supposed to drive a car in shitty weather. Maybe you're some sort of masochist and you'll enjoy it, I dunno.

This.

With the proper gear I've never had a problem with riding in the rain/snow on my bike, and the loss of traction just made for another element to improve your riding ability. I imagine it's a very different story riding at speed and on pavement, but my theory stands, with the proper gear it shouldn't be THAT bad. But again, remember I said I don't plan on riding a motorcycle if it's pretty crappy out...I'll just take the Jeep. The motorcycle would be for dry/mild days on a short commute, which I predict this to be about half the year if not more.

Sounds like most think a motorcycle is a bad idea, so then what about a dual sport? I was avoiding this topic mainly because I don't want to have to choose between my Jeep and a motorcycle when going wheeling, but everyone's opinions on a sport bike make me curious.

~Scott

I think a motorcycle is a great idea, but not for primary transportation. Have you ridden a dual-sport on the street? I rode a 2009 KLS250S for a week and I wasn't impressed.

No offense intended, I think your kidding yourself with the intent to use the bike more than the jeep, especially a low CC bike.

But his main thing was fuel mileage.. Imagine $10 getting you Well over 300 miles.

And if the 250r was as slow as you'r stating, It probably wouldnt be the #1 selling Ninja. Infact, I feel confident that a 09' 250r would probably Keep up with an older 500..

dont knock it till you ride it, you would be suprised!

Uh Im going to contiue knocking it.

500r 0-60: 3.76 sec
'09 250r 0-60: 7.72 sec

Quarter mile
500r: 12.73 @ 102mph
250r: 15.58 @ 82mph

Also cruising on the freeway the 250 is going to be revving pretty high compared to the 500.

The 250 isn't the #1 selling ninja due to its performance. Its due to the fact that its cheap and a great beginner. I'm just saying the 500 is a better beginner bike because its not too powerful that it will get you in trouble but at the same time you won't get bored of it within a week of riding.

Back