• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Day trip

Just pulled in at Rausch. Anyone else here here yet?

Was great seeing you again after so long, Mitch.

FigureI went to put that new tailpipe hanger on yesterday, and found a couple other things I need to deal with (not counting the driver's door hinges and check strap bracket):

First off, I figured out what I was smelling at lunchtime (the "hot tire" smell) - turns out the tailpipe somehow got rotated relative to the muffler, so when all the hanging points are in place the over-axle bend is cooking/melting my right rear shock boot and the muffler's in contact with the floorpan. Going to slice through the pipe just behind the muffler and use an inline "coupler" to allow me to get things realigned (looks like the muffler itself is fine, but was rotating because of tension from the tailpipe), since the pipe itself doesn't actually look tweaked.

Speaking of the shocks, both rear lower stud mounts were loose and rattling (I'd had the factory studs replaced with bolt-ins years ago). Got the right side snugged back up, but I think I need a 20mm for the left side one. Will grab one of those when I pick up the exhaust coupler and clamps, so I can make sure that mount's properly snugged up as well.

Fuel filter was hanging by its hoses, the zipties I'd replaced the factory hanger bracket with had failed. Re ziptied it, but I want to take another look at it because I think I want to do something a little more secure.

It was great seeing everyone today, it’s been too long !

It was great actually getting to meet you Mitch! It's always nice to see some of the people that came before me still in the game!. We're looking forward to seeing you again on the trail soon.
Rich
P.s. same goes for your friend Jerry, really nice guy, one heck of a rig! Rocktoberfest calls!......

Back