• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 44 rear is in with 4.88s (pics possibly later)

offroadman83

NAXJA Forum User
Well I finally got around to replacing the 98 year model 29 spline 8.25 with a dana 44 from an 87. I am so happy with the 35s and 4.88s but it probably could be amazingly awesome with even a little more gear. But anyways I though I would tell all of you contemplating getting rid of the 8.25 to do so. As I pulled the old 8.25 out I noticed where the axletube goes into the pumpkin that it was leaking. The pinion was so darn loose it was not even funny. The thing would knock and make all kinds of noises upon braking. Chrysler 8.25s suck big uns. Get rid of it before it haunts you too. I think they suck just as bad as a dana 35. After all the axle had been through three very minor mall wheeling trips. My brothers dana 35 which is locked and geared on 33s has survived some pretty tough usage compared to mine------Kyle

P.S. I am now an advocate of I hate Chrysler 8.25s!!!!

thats funny, my 94 27 spline 8.25 held up nicely for 10 years with many a wheelin trip...

Back