• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 44 pictorial build

WHATEVER CHANGES YOU MAKE TO THE PINION DEPTH SHIMS, say add 0.010"...YOU NEED TO DO THE SAME WITH THE PINION PRELOAD SHIMS (NOT THE OPPOSITE). I.E. Also add 0.010".

I found this to also be incorrect. I added .005" to my depth, so I figured another .005" of the preload shims would put everything back in spec. Nope. I had to add an additional .015" to get the preload correct where it was before.

Moral of the story: don't assume your preload is correct after a depth change and equal shimming. Constantly check and re-check.

I agree with that statement. However, if you're trying to guesstimate to get yourself headed in the right direction, you should do something similar to my statement. Not what the write-up says.

Everything is somewhat of a guess and somewhat of a relationship when setting up gears. When you make a pinion depth change, you know your backlash is going to need to be adjusted. And you can make intelligent guesses as to your next adjustment. Usually with pretty good results if you know what you're supposed to be doing. The relationship between pinion depth and backlash is not a 1:1 adjustment. But your adjustment for pinion bearing preload SHOULD BE. After all, all the adjustments are being made as educated guesses.

Always check and recheck before slapping the GO sticker on it.

Anyone who is actually going to use this as a guide while doing a rebuild, I suggest noting this.

I found this to also be incorrect. I added .005" to my depth, so I figured another .005" of the preload shims would put everything back in spec. Nope. I had to add an additional .015" to get the preload correct where it was before.

Moral of the story: don't assume your preload is correct after a depth change and equal shimming. Constantly check and re-check.
I always get the pinion depth right before I worry about the pinion preload. I just snug the yoke on with no shims to work on setting the pinion depth.

Back