• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D44 Swap question

there will be no more abs. if the 44 came out of a 87 or that generation. i did the same thing. but my abs didn't work to begin with either....
remove the bulb. problem solved. the pumps will still work fine.
oh, and just cut the wss wires going to the rear axle (as long as you don't plan on having abs in the 90 again....)

I'll be doing this soon myself on my 95. How can I disable the ABS system for the front as well? Can I just pull the ABS fuse and cut the wires?

once the computer senses that there is no speed signal coming from even one wheel, it disables the whole system. you won't have a problem. it usually does a self test somewhere around 10-15 MPH I think (my dodge is that way too)

I plan on making a XJ 44 mated with ZJ 44 shafts, disks and sensors to come up with an ABS 44, when time allows.

I did a D44 swap like you are planning. You are going to run into problems with the ABS. ABS in 91 and earlier XJs is Bendix-9, there is no redundant conventional system, and diagnostics on it suck. The ABS computer is known for being incapable of self diagnostics. . . Will it recognize the missing tone rings, AND the larger wheel cylinders in the D44 AND proportion braking correctly - I doubt it. Search "Bendix ABS"

if its a 90 with abs, do a 1999-2004 grand cherokee brake booster and master cylinder swap if you decide to completely get rid of the abs.

I really dont mind losing the ABS. Is it as easy as pulling a fuse? All I really want to accomplish is getting the axle under the jeep. If I disable the abs with everything else function properly??

Osmin C said:
I really dont mind losing the ABS. Is it as easy as pulling a fuse? All I really want to accomplish is getting the axle under the jeep. If I disable the abs with everything else function properly??

as mentioned, try a search for bendix abs, its a different animal than the chrysler abs.

Back