• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D44 rubicon air locker

xjjeeper19

NAXJA Forum User
I have a factory rubicon air locker for a D44, 30 spline shafts but does require the use of a "thick" gear set. This is the front version which is an open/locked version. I have a set of new carrier bearings for it and I might be able to dig up some pinion bearings too. I do not have the air actuator for it, but I will try and get one for it. These operate on lower presure than an ARB, only 5 psi will lock it up.

$350 firm, I don't need to sell this, and if it doesn't sell I'm just going to keep it... not looking for any trades right now either.

I'll get some pics up tomorrow

Justin

I still have this, I'm waiting to here back from 99xjache.

Here is a pic, I did get a brand new actuator for it so I have: Air locker, air actuator, carrier bearings, and ring gear bolts

IMG00285.jpg

Still want it. Im trying to verify that this will fit in my 78 ford HP housing. Does anyone know?

Still want it. Im trying to verify that this will fit in my 78 ford HP housing. Does anyone know?

Most likely not, unless you can get a "thick" HP44 gear set, or a ring gear spacer. This does use the bigger 7/16's ring gear bolts

I put one in a xj 44. So if a xj carrier will fit a Ford 44 it should.

when you did your brothers did you run the shim inside the bearings like a normal 44 or the big shims on the outside like the newer 44 Stuff?

This is air driven and not electric right? Does that mean a compressor needs to be purchased? You also mentioned you now have the air actuator, is that the compressor? I have a D44 out of an 06 Rubicon in my front end right now with a Detroit true trac and I have not been real happy with the true trac. It's just a glorified limited slip and it kinda sucks. I might be interested in switching to a selectable locker if there isn't a lot more additional cost.

Last edited:
All you would need is an air source. Something that can be regulated down to 5 psi. you can get the compressor from the dealer but it's pricey. All you would need is a small air tank, compressor, regulator, and air solenoid/valve and it will work. I have everthing else to install it.

Justin

All you would need is an air source. Something that can be regulated down to 5 psi. you can get the compressor from the dealer but it's pricey. All you would need is a small air tank, compressor, regulator, and air solenoid/valve and it will work. I have everthing else to install it.

Justin

At $350 I was going to be REALLY tight. Adding an air tank, compressor, regulator, and air solenoid is going to put be way beyond what I can afford right now. I may be able to pull some money together over the next couple months. I will shoot you a PM when my funds are up to par with the cost of this mod. If you still have it at that point then maybe we can work something out.

At $350 I was going to be REALLY tight. Adding an air tank, compressor, regulator, and air solenoid is going to put be way beyond what I can afford right now. I may be able to pull some money together over the next couple months. I will shoot you a PM when my funds are up to par with the cost of this mod. If you still have it at that point then maybe we can work something out.

Get a small ARB compressor (like 129 new) and a 7$ air regulator

Get a small ARB compressor (like 129 new) and a 7$ air regulator

That's probably what I will do, but $500 total is still outside of what I can afford right now. I just need a little more time to pull some funds together.

I'm out. I decided to put the money I have been saving into a 9 hole disc golf course in the creek behind my place. I have been wanting to do it for a few years and just decided to go for it.

Back