• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D44 Identification on a '04 WJ?

spinaldex

NAXJA Forum User
I just picked up an 04 Limited and I think I have a D44, but need to double check. You can barely see the housing due to the huge gas tank, but I can see the bottom half perfect. It has 3 bolts and at the end of each it takes a sharp turn up, almost a straight edge up, not a soft oval like I see on my old '89 cherokee's D35. It looks identical to this Bronco D44 shown here:

http://classicbroncos.com/img/dana44/dana_44_rebuild005.jpg

That pretty much confirmed it to me, but I just wanted to do a last check before I start ordering parts.

Thanks!

This looks to be about right, as...

1996–2004 ZJ/WJ Grand Cherokee (Aluminum center section, referred to as the 'D44A'); correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't "D44A" be stamped somewhere on the axle or the housing? It may be covered in junk and you need to search for it, but I'm almost positive it should be stamped in it

yea, I think it's a D44. According to the research I've done, its basically the same D44 from the Commander that they stuffed in to WJ's starting in the early 2000s. Nice! I got lucky.

yea, I think it's a D44. According to the research I've done, its basically the same D44 from the Commander that they stuffed in to WJ's starting in the early 2000s. Nice! I got lucky.

None of the Commanders have the D-44. The Commander shares rear ends with the 05+ Grand Cherokee. The Commanders entered the market in 2006 and sadly exited in 2010, its a great Jeep, I own one. All Commanders are "full time" 4wd with a center diff in the T-case.

Commanders equipped with;
Quadra-Trac and Quadra-Trac 2= 29 spline 8.25 semi floater, no electronic limited slip
Quadra-Drive=AAM830 with electronic limited slip.

The WJ has the anemic D-44A. Fine for stock street use but junk for the trail and bigger tires

A friend of mine has been beating the hell out of his D44A for years now (5.2 auto ZJ on 33" MTs) and it holds up pretty ok, not saying it's anywhere near as good as a real D44 but they aren't as horrible as a D35. Just remember you can't weld to the center section, the tubes may spin on it, and it's going to flex more than a D44 too.

Back