• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D30 axle removal

4xfishfinder

NAXJA Forum User
The HEEP. 94 XJse D30/8.25 AW4, NP231. Doing the front axle joint's. Can't get the hub nut off. Yup PB'd it. What about heat, good, bad? Getting flusterated.:firedevil:firedevil Thanks for the input..

PB, wait, PB, wait, then impact. That did it for me. Took a couple hours for the PB to do its job. Even a breaker bar and steel pipe couldn't break it loose. It will come, you just have to be patient. Might as well spray those 3 bolts that hold the hub on too, those are the real doozy. After those bolts come off, the hub itself usually does not wnat to come off at all. REAL PITA if everything is stuck. Good luck!

The three hub bolts were easy. guess I gotta have at least one PITA per project lol. thanks for the input. And, yup just broke my breaker bar.
icon9.gif

3 unit bearings off? If they are out you can put your wheel back on and use a wood block between the frame and rim to press the unitbearing out. Its a nice trick i use alot when doing jeep unitbearings.

Yeah ive seen guys beat the hell out of the hubs with slide hammers for hrs then i strole up and pop the hub out with the steering in under a minute. Awesome trick for changing out shafts on the trail.

I just leave the 3 bolts threaded in about 4 turns, put a crappy socket on them, and give them a few solid whacks each with a 4lb hand sledge... pops right out. I'd use the steering trick but never really feel like risking tipping my jackstand or jack over by turning the wheels.

Back