• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Custom yoke style SYE for the 242 or 231 done.

In USA only corvett has this yoke....?:doh:

Did you know other car with the same yoke, i went to ecology and only found slip yokes on GM.

Gojeep is a perfect web page for XJ mod's.:worship:

I read somewhere (and have not seen this) that '80s Ford, Mercury and Lincoln sedans had a similar setup and that yokes could be sourced from those cars. I guess you would need to go to the wrecking yard and crawl under a few Marquis' or Thunderbirds.

It's not a Corvette yoke. Tom Woods has them, they are $120.

So, you must cut the rear output shaft, AND the new yoke?
I cant cut straight by hand? I would imagine it would need to be perfect?

And drill and tap the center of the cut shaft for the bolt that holds the yoke on?
Is that it?

barillms said:

And drill and tap the center of the cut shaft for the bolt that holds the yoke on?
Is that it?

Basically, that's it.

I used an angle grinder and cutoff wheel. Slow and steady and it worked out fine.

barillms said:
Ideally yes, but in reality, doesn't need to be perfect.

Here is mine, just like PAPXJ's, with a cut down and welded stock tailcone:

DSC04167.jpg

barillms said:

Is that it?
Yes that is it. It is all in the write up on my site. ;)
www.go.jeep-xj.info

jacked said:
dumb question, but why cant you do the same thing using the stock yoke? whats so different about the gm one?
The stock yoke holds the a single u-joint. The CV style yoke holds a CV style driveshaft that has a double Cardan joint assembly.

If you saw them side by side it might make more sense.

For instance, compare your front t-case output yoke with your rear output slip yoke and that might help you see the differences.

Could you just use a stock uncut tail cone, the vette yoke and just tap the shaft for it. I know it won't shorten up the transfer case length but will this work. It would be for an MJ so driveshaft length isn't an issue.

TNT said:
Could you just use a stock uncut tail cone, the vette yoke and just tap the shaft for it. I know it won't shorten up the transfer case length but will this work. It would be for an MJ so driveshaft length isn't an issue.

I know of three or four that have done it. The problem is the length that the heavy double cardon joint is from the output bearing. Heard it is safe 4" or less lift but you do have the extra mass and leverage on the output shaft and bearing. The other thing it will be quite hard to drill the end of the shaft and you will have to use a cobalt drill to get through the hardening which is normally cut away when shortening it.

So has anyone found the part# for the seal and the splicer # for the yoke.

Thanks

John90XJ said:
It's cheap because it appears to be the wrong one. It looks to be a 27 spline pinion yoke for using a single u-joint and attaching with a pair of yoke straps.
Yes, it is intended as a pinion yoke, but the spline diameter and count are exactly the same as the Corvette yoke Gojeep used. Also, I figured I could carefully remove the threads inside where the straps go and bolt it directly to the CV centering yoke. Maybe it really won't work, but it sure looks like it will.

Last edited:
Timber said:
Yes, it is intended as a pinion yoke, but the spline diameter and count are exactly the same as the Corvette yoke Gojeep used. Also, I figured I could carefully remove the threads inside where the straps go and bolt it directly to the CV centering yoke. Maybe it really won't work, but it sure looks like it will.

I see....

You didn't go into the detail of what modifications you would make so it wasn't making sense to me.

The only issue I think you would have beyond what you just described is going to be finding a seal that would work and whether the whole thing will fit into your RE seal retainer. The shaft outer diameter for a standard slip yoke is 1.500", the pinion yoke you point to is 1.688". That's considerable and I don't know if the appropriate seal is available. In addition, the inside diameter of the splined portion looks to be slightly different.

Timber said:

Sorry, but you just can't bolt a CV joint to a non-CV yoke. I don't believe it is as simple as drilling out the holes for the straps.
Good try though.
Billy

JeepFreak21 said:
Sorry, but you just can't bolt a CV joint to a non-CV yoke. I don't believe it is as simple as drilling out the holes for the straps.
Good try though.
Billy
Why? I'm not being a smart alec about it; I really don't know why not. Both have bolt patterns which are 1.5" center to center, and all the other important dimensions/factors seem to be accounted for.

JOHN90XJ said:
The only issue I think you would have beyond what you just described is going to be finding a seal that would work and whether the whole thing will fit into your RE seal retainer. The shaft outer diameter for a standard slip yoke is 1.500", the pinion yoke you point to is 1.688". That's considerable and I don't know if the appropriate seal is available. In addition, the inside diameter of the splined portion looks to be slightly different.
I have a '99--I don't need to worry about the seal, and I'm not doing anything with RE. Just a simple cut-down shaft, short yoke, and front XJ 'shaft.

Last edited:
Timber said:
I have a '99--I don't need to worry about the seal, and I'm not doing anything with RE. Just a simple cut-down shaft, short yoke, and front XJ 'shaft.

Knock yourself out....you might be on to the next cool idea.

Back