• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

"Custom" Headliner

xjskaguy

NAXJA Forum User
no doors = no music (in the front)

Here is where the story starts I have an 89 so I decided to rewire the rats nest that has accumulated and add an aux fuse box and the Fitch switch panel. Doing some mockup i relized two things, the switch panel didn't look too great on a bare roof and too many cuts to have it flush against the roof structures. Been running bare top for about 4 years now after the old one basically fell apart after fixing it twice or so.

So...i decided to get a new liner, one with the speakers molded in it. while there i found the older sound bar and decided to snag it too and this is what i came up with. I am short so it fits great plus its behind the seat.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Now this is my first time with fiberglass and thanks to the "wonderful" weather SC has had i have not been able to do much past this part. However good news the liner and the sound bar was 11.75ish. So let me know what you think and I will post more pics when I get it covered and reinstalled.

Im glad you put this up. I saw it done once before, and I have a sound bar sitting waiting to go in this same spot. Did you have any issues fitting the sound bar there, or does it just clip in the molding?

the speakers over your head will drown out the rear ones.

unless hes going for a nice sterio surround sound then i dont think it would matter.

if all your wanting is to be able to listen to the radio or a cd or something the back speakers are for the rear passengers :D

it'll be "surround" by default running a head unit with 4 outputs.

speaker placement is the only thing i don't like about my TJ and XJ. the sound stage should be in front of you, not behind you. i used to compete in sound quality competitions, so it's just a pet peeve.. lol..

Im glad you put this up. I saw it done once before, and I have a sound bar sitting waiting to go in this same spot. Did you have any issues fitting the sound bar there, or does it just clip in the molding?

i cut mine and fiberglassed it in but it fit alright without cutting it, although it did push the headliner up a bit where u could see the liner edge.

"For sure. But better than no speakers I'd imagine. Is there anything inside the dash that would stop you from mounting some smaller ones underneath it, sorta like YJ's IIRC? I think they had 3x5's in there... "

some of the older xj's came from the factory with some small tweeters on the dash where the vents are. I had a 4's (i think) that would fit there with a slight mod...just a tad too big.

not looking for quality just want to listen to music when my doors are off haha...you know over the wind and mickeys. And i might put some down on the lower dash panel you know so its infront and surrounding me ha.

Thats cool. I would like to see what it looks like when its done. I am working on some hood vents right now, then I will be moving onto a custom center console. Right now my center cosole is a plastic piece around the E brake and a plastic box around the shifters, kinda lame.

how did the front sound bar come out. im thinking about doing this in mine. i have the second sound bar but im just wondering about the difficulty and the wiring. if its done how does it sound with no doors and the street noise. thats the exact reason im doing it. i want to be able to listen to the radio while riding without doors. if its done can i see some picks of the completed work. thanks

See this is what I want to do w/ mine. Right now I am running a 9 speaker set-up. I have 4 mids 4 highs and 1 low (10'' audiobahn) When I take the doors off I have nothing but highs up front. What I wanted to do was just replace the factory "tweeters" in the bottom half of the dash (whatever it is you want to call it, its very convenient to kick the hell out of) and put some mids in there for when my doors are off. I need a sound bar though because I have two 6.5'' subwoofers to install. Would it be best to put the bar behind my head, or behind the rear seat? Also, is it relatively easy to make that sound bar, or would it be easier to pull one out of a different XJ and just modify it?

sorry, kind of rambled on there...mine is a '92 XJ

how did the front sound bar come out. im thinking about doing this in mine. i have the second sound bar but im just wondering about the difficulty and the wiring. if its done how does it sound with no doors and the street noise. thats the exact reason im doing it. i want to be able to listen to the radio while riding without doors. if its done can i see some picks of the completed work. thanks

Its really easy to wire up. I have mine "mocked up" until I do the headliner. I have pictures I will post tomorrow, but basically there is a connector in your rear driver side plastic that I cut out, and re-wired it into a spot in the door sill next to the passenger seat. That connector clips into a a wire-harness from the sound-bar if you have such a thing.

If you have the wire harness or not, it's still easy to identify the speaker wires in the hatch and find them in the main bundle running down your driver's side trim.

The difference of having the speakers up that close is amazing. With doors on, it sounds like a regular truck cab. Doors off, you can actually still hear music, as opposed to having speakers in the hatch.

Back