• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CSF 3-Row Radiators- NOT Discontinued!

I guess that another good aspect of copper/brass construction. It's pliable!

Most people don't even install the unit if it's bent that bad. Fortunately, that doesn't happen to that extent very often.

I've seen some things UPS delivered that you KNOW they must have played soccer with in the warehouse! Stuff just so badly mangled up that nothing but absolute outright abuse could explain it...:twak:

I guess that another good aspect of copper/brass construction. It's pliable!

Most people don't even install the unit if it's bent that bad. Fortunately, that doesn't happen to that extent very often.

I've seen some things UPS delivered that you KNOW they must have played soccer with in the warehouse! Stuff just so badly mangled up that nothing but absolute outright abuse could explain it...:twak:

I work for UPS and I bought one of these radiators, I love the radiator but man ease up on UPS ha.

I've seen some crazy stuff happen before inside trucks. Stuff falls and shifts and can crush something as fragile as a radiator pretty easy. Conveyor belts like to jam up also and crush packages. It's not just a case of some idiot walking on it, which can happen but it's not at all common in my experience. I can only speak for my facility but if we throw, step on or gorilla handle packages it's a quick ticket out the door.

Also from my time at UPS it's more a case of the supervisors wanting to push out damaged packages rather than deal with it. I go through that on a daily basis, they would rather send it knowing it's possibly damaged. Then if it is in fact damaged let the customer file a claim so someone else deals with it, classic passing the buck. The supervisors are in the mind set to just get everything out of the building to meet their numbers. If some come back as damaged they don't effect their numbers. The drivers also hate this, no one wants to hand a customer a package that looks a wreck or know they will be back to take it as damaged the next day.

Looking at how my radiator came the packing was not at all adequate. This was several years ago and you said that you are now adding extra padding though. The pieces of metal that the cap screws onto were bent up on mine but easy to fix. There should have been a nice large layer of padding around that filler next to prevent that. Just having a layer of cardboard around a protruding piece of soft metal is not going to save it when it's running through any shipping system.

That all said, I would not hesitate to order another radiator from DPG. Great guy, great service and prices but I'm taking the UPS talk personal :soapbox: .

I've been in logistics/shipping before as well, and they definitely try and treat your packages as best they can. If you drop something, you get yelled at. Throw something, and you're out. That being said, just like iwannadie stated above, no one wants to deal with a headache. So it gets shipped out regardless of the shape the packaging is in. Those trucks are get pretty wild, but things on the top shelf can only fall so far. Where it get's really crazy are the huge moose trailers. Some on the packages are damn near 10 feet in the air on a tippy pallet.

In regards to the CSF, I have one, it was indeed damaged on arrival, I fixed it, and I love it. No much more to be said lol. Glad to hear they're still around.

Ya I did. I bought 2 at the same time. I came damaged and the other was fine.

Dirk, I would have taken you up on the return offer but I'm in Canada :) Shipping it just wouldn't be worth it. I bought the rad this summer and installed it the day before I left for Moab. It leaked the whole trip but I just kept it topped up... it still worked much better then my factory rad would have.

I'll take it in and see what a rad shop can do for me. I'm VERY happy with this rad still and DPG is a great company to deal with.

I ordered mine from DPG and it showed up in great condition. The shipping label seemed to indicate it was drop shipped so I don't know how any additional packaging material could have been added. The only problem with mine was that the diameter of the brass tube that the quick disconnect for the transmission line clips onto was just a little too big for the connector to be able to slide on. A couple minutes with a strip of emery cloth took care of that in quick order. Rumor had it that this problem was supposed to be addressed in a future production run, but I'd still test fit the connector before mounting up the radiator as the tube is much easier to access with the radiator out of the vehicle.

One reason I'm down on UPS a bit is that the majority of the boxes are not beat up, but the radiators are damaged anyway. The only way for that to happen is for the boxes to either fall or be tossed around fairly aggressively.

I have -on more than 1 occasion- seen UPS drivers throw packages into their trucks. They do get a scared look on their faces when they know someone sees them do it!!! I can understand the possibility of damage due to conveyors or load shifts, but I do know that negligence and downright abuse does happen more than it should too.

Our warehouse does add extra packing, but the design of the XJ radiator itself and how that filler neck sticks out makes it a challenge to ship. Nonetheless, the majority make it either just fine or easily fixable. I know that because of the very small percentage of units that we bring back. The customer does not have to pay to return it either- we send a call tag- unless they're outside the USA.

The trans line thing is pretty much universal. That connection is painted and needs to be reduced with an emery cloth most of the time for a smooth fit.

Thanks!

When my CSF arrived, the fill spout was dented from shipping... it worked ok, but there's a small leak coming from it and I don't know if its repairable or not. I tried fixing it myself but can't get it good enough to get a solid seal. Can a radiator shop fix this?

same thing happened to me. I brought it to a shop that had an exhaust pipe flaring tool or something and never had a problem since!

Oh ya dpg off-road is great!

Last edited:
Never had a problem with how my Renix era CSF radiator was packaged. :D Just another reason that closed loop cooling systems kick ass!

Never had a problem with how my Renix era CSF radiator was packaged. :D Just another reason that closed loop cooling systems kick ass!

whats a second reason :shhh:

One reason I'm down on UPS a bit is that the majority of the boxes are not beat up, but the radiators are damaged anyway. The only way for that to happen is for the boxes to either fall or be tossed around fairly aggressively.

I'm not going to carry on an argument but I will disagree with that statement. If the outside box is totally unmarked and the contents are damaged that is not a clear sign of mishandling at all. The way they are packed and the way the filler neck sticks out is the problem.

If you lay that box flat and then put a 50 pound box on top of it, that filler can bend without damaging the box. It can also get wedged in the conveyor system with a lot of weight pressing against it and again not damage the box. If it were thrown or fell it would likely break the cardboard from the sudden impact. I've had plenty of boxes fall and the likely outcome is the box is damaged. Those radiators do not weight that much either, it falling or being tossed I can't see it having enough weight to bend that metal.

Maybe someone should take one and test it out ha, try tossing it a few feet and letting it fall from a few feet. Then, place a 50 pound weight on the filler and see what happens.

If I was going to ship something like this I would use blocks of laminated corrugated cardboard to stack the corners of the radiator up till the filler neck is no longer the tallest point. I prefer cardboard over styrofoam because it is biodegradable and I can soak laminated blocks of it in paraffin wax and use it as a fire starter.

I've been driving my MJ with a leak in the radiator, 2/3 of the fins rotted away since april and it never goes over 210 - with a 195 degree stat and open system :spin1:

New radiator is going in when I have the drivetrain out for the 4wd swap and new gaskets.

I cant get my cap to seal on my CSF radiator! The neck does not look damaged. The cap does not go on tight enough though. Water spews out the top of my rad.
What is the problem here? Do i need a special cap or is my neck damaged?

I cant get my cap to seal on my CSF radiator! The neck does not look damaged. The cap does not go on tight enough though. Water spews out the top of my rad.
What is the problem here? Do i need a special cap or is my neck damaged?
One other guy said his cap isn't sealing too. We're looking into that. A jeep will definitely run hotter if the cap isn't sealing properly.

Have you tried a different cap to know if yours is bad?

What psi rating is it?

My supplier said that Stant makes a cap with an extended reach that would extend deeper inside and might make a more positive seal on that inner sealing surface. Looking into that too...

One other guy said his cap isn't sealing too. We're looking into that. A jeep will definitely run hotter if the cap isn't sealing properly.

Have you tried a different cap to know if yours is bad?

What psi rating is it?

My supplier said that Stant makes a cap with an extended reach that would extend deeper inside and might make a more positive seal on that inner sealing surface. Looking into that too...
Yes, i tried a new cap.
I dont think that mine is sealing around the inner surface either because there is no resistance when putting it on. So i think an extended reach would help.
Also it spews out of the top a little so it is not sealing around the top lip either.
I am beginning to think that maybe my filler neck is messed up or bent. Everyone says their stock cap worked.

Also make sure you have the right style of cap.

Some caps don't have a sealing gasket in the upper part of the cap and won't seal properly...

Back