• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

csf 3 core + taurus fan swap?

I got a single speed Taurus fan. Got it 2nd hand from $300XJ. Installed on a SPAL controller. Works great for me and I'm rocking stock rad. and the e-fan.

This is from an article in JP mag.
"I've heard things like the Taurus fan pulls 80 amps on a standing start into the "High" speed. I'm not sure if these guys are even measuring it. That amperage happens for milliseconds, and not only is it hard to measure, but most decent relays and connectors can handle a surge like that. Most regular fans that you can get from the aftermarket suggest a normal 30-amp Bosch relay. That includes 16-inch fans that pull upwards of 2500cfm.

Amperage Draw (amps) Ford Taurus Fan Low, Ford Taurus Fan High, SPAL VA18- AP71/LL-59A
Cold standing start -----------------6.15--------------------- 9.95---------------- 10.15
Warm standing start---------------- 3.14--------------------- 10.7----------------- 11.43
Moving start ----------------------- 2.72--------------------- 7.42------------------ 7.78
Continuous draw cold --------------- 1.8----------------------- 4.29----------------- 5.11
Continuous draw warm--------------- 4.54---------------------- 6.55----------------- 7.21

Since I had my Auto Meter DM-40 multimeter handy and access to both a Ford Taurus fan and a 3430cfm SPAL fan, I decided to take some measurements. In theory, starting the fan from stop should take more juice than if it is spinning-and a warm fan should take more to start than a cold fan. The SPAL constantly drew more than the Taurus fan on "High," but it is suggested to wire it up with a regular Bosch relay."

Last edited:
my xj comes stock with 117 amp alternator plus i'm sure using a controller and large relays/fuses will keep it from pulling huge amps. One thing i dont know is if DCC basic cheaper controller is a PWM il have to give them a call.

For those that installed the taurus fan, did you have to remove your mech fan pulley and bracket? The price for everything is adding up and if i dont have to get another belt id rather not since i replaced mine not to long ago. I thought of moving the rad foward a little to make some more room, but i've forgotten what the bottom mount on the rad is like, i think it was a few posts that slid into a rubber groment or something? IDK i forgetten since i installed my csf. Has anyone taken measurements for the space on the driver side? il have to pop the hood and take the ruler with me, I'm wondering if i could put the xj aux fan on the passenger side and the taurus on the driver side..... hmm looks like i got more planning to do

After reading the radiator debate for several years I am convinced that a good quality 2 row copper/brass unit may be the all around better selection. What brand radiator do you guys use?

I think the current one came from Radiator Barn. They don't usually show the copper/brass 2 row on their website so you need to call.

I'm running two stock fans on my rig and its done just fine. I'm glad, I was bit worried :D I don't have much room after I swapped a '05 TJ motor into my '95.

Back