• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Crashed XJ

Ryan, the TRACTOR had the right of way. Shaggy's wife did not.

That isn't the point again... He may have had the right of way but he had a RESPONSIBILITY to make sure no one was coming. In most states the cops would have looked at it and at the very least wrote it us as a no fault accident.

That isn't the point again... He may have had the right of way but he had a RESPONSIBILITY to make sure no one was coming. In most states the cops would have looked at it and at the very least wrote it us as a no fault accident.
Really? I don't think so. And I've got a personal case (see above) where that absolutely was not the case.

So? MN, from what I can see. I grew up driving farm equipment. From everything that I know, he's legal, and had the right of way.

I was talking about that Rob guy, being from NJ and all, probably only seen tractors in picture books and fairy tales, like Californians and snow. I'm on your side with this.

I was talking about that Rob guy, being from NJ and all, probably only seen tractors in picture books and fairy tales, like Californians and snow. I'm on your side with this.
you'd be surprised. A good friend of mine used to live in NJ (the guy I bought my MJ off of) and he got stuck behind tractors quite frequently. Southern NJ is fairly rural and has lots of farms. It's northern NJ, mostly annexed by the armpit that is the NYC metro area, that is a complete waste of what could be a perfectly nice black hole or nuclear waste dump.

I'm glad nobody was hurt.
That being said, what the hell was your wife doing that she completely missed him turning off the road? I mean if he was turning and hit her, that's one thing, but from that pic it looks like Jeep hit the tractor, not the other way around. The tractor is almost completely off the road... they're big and loud and pretty hard to miss. They they're not exactly very agile, it would have taken a good bit of time (in terms of highway driving speeds) for him to turn and get that far off the road for her to hit him.

Mctard read the op ,ya dork

Your missing my point. He still has a responsibility to make sure of his surroundings. Everyone on the road does. It doesn't matter what kind of signs, lights or anything else you may have.

Chances are he had no legal responsibility to do so, common sense should dictate otherwise, but he doesn't.

Just out of curiosity, who all here actually learned this in driver's ed, I know damn well that I didn't know about that until a few days ago.

Just out of curiosity, who all here actually learned this in driver's ed, I know damn well that I didn't know about that until a few days ago.

I am not too sure that whatever I learned in drivers ed was 100% true. The place I went to got shut down for whatever reason a little while after I completed the course. I forget what it was, but the reason wasn't too reassuring....

I am not too sure that whatever I learned in drivers ed was 100% true. The place I went to got shut down for whatever reason a little while after I completed the course. I forget what it was, but the reason wasn't too reassuring....

I'll be honest, I took mine at my HS and they still probably did better at teaching you how to drive than I was taught through school:dunno: My sister and I have learned and still are learning more from Dad that the school's "instructors" (and I use that term loosely) ever taught us, and considering it's been more than a decade for either one of us should tell you something:eek:

Driver's Ed was more than 30 years ago for me, and taught by the high school. One thing that was stressed was that anything with an SMV symbol could and probably would do something that you wouldn't expect like making a turn with no notice.

Ok, I'll concede that I didn't know the finer details of what that triangle thingy is. And I have seen farm equipment before, folks - not all of northern NJ is what you see from the Turnpike...

All right, so in many places the farmer's not required to have lights, signals, or even be anything short of oblivious to anything outside his cockpit. I have a fundamental problem with that, and think it needs to change. The "rules of the road" say you need to be aware of your surroundings, have working lights, and signal your intentions. You wanna use the road? Play by the Rules. Darky's point about dual-sport bikes is an excellent one, IMHO - you can't force them to have/use safety equipment if you're not going to do it to everyone.

Is it really such a major inconvenience to have to put lights on your tractor and actually USE them to signal when you're going to turn broadside across the street? Would it really be hurting anyone? It's not going to kill anyone (rather, I'd wager it'd more likely prevent someone from getting killed).

Frankly, I'm surprised more people aren't killed by accidents like the one that started the thread.

I too went through driver's ed at my High School...ironically right around the corner from several farms, and nothing was mentioned about handling farm equipment on the road. I come up on farm equipment regularly on the 2 lane roads that I travel and i've always wondered what happens, legally, when an accident like this occurs.

Glad nobody was seriously hurt.

In a lot of cases, the operator has no way to see what's behind, NOR IS HE REQUIRED TO. You operate under a different standard.

like when the back window on my jeep is covered in mud and my turn signals arent working and the damned thing only goes 30 mph on the highway... must be acceptable to drive and do whatever i please.. i guess i do not need to follow the laws or the arm signals we all had to learn to get our license.. Just because you are driving a damn tractor doesnt give you a right to not be safe.

like when the back window on my jeep is covered in mud and my turn signals arent working and the damned thing only goes 30 mph on the highway... must be acceptable to drive and do whatever i please.. i guess i do not need to follow the laws or the arm signals we all had to learn to get our license.. Just because you are driving a damn tractor doesnt give you a right to not be safe.
Not equivalent situations in the least.

Ok, I'll concede that I didn't know the finer details of what that triangle thingy is. And I have seen farm equipment before, folks - not all of northern NJ is what you see from the Turnpike...

All right, so in many places the farmer's not required to have lights, signals, or even be anything short of oblivious to anything outside his cockpit. I have a fundamental problem with that, and think it needs to change. The "rules of the road" say you need to be aware of your surroundings, have working lights, and signal your intentions. You wanna use the road? Play by the Rules. Darky's point about dual-sport bikes is an excellent one, IMHO - you can't force them to have/use safety equipment if you're not going to do it to everyone.

Is it really such a major inconvenience to have to put lights on your tractor and actually USE them to signal when you're going to turn broadside across the street? Would it really be hurting anyone? It's not going to kill anyone (rather, I'd wager it'd more likely prevent someone from getting killed).

Frankly, I'm surprised more people aren't killed by accidents like the one that started the thread.

I have to agree with you there, it seems like it would be a good idea that the rest of us have some clue as to what the tractor driver's intentions are before he or she acts on them, but even if that is changed, we should still have to give them some room because of what they are driving. One thing that has been mentioned a few times is that depending on the load, the farmer may not be able to see behind them. Now when Dad was still on the farm a few decades back and was in that situation he would stop the tractor, get off, and go back to see if it looked like anything was coming up behind him before proceeding across the road.

I have to agree with you there, it seems like it would be a good idea that the rest of us have some clue as to what the tractor driver's intentions are before he or she acts on them, but even if that is changed, we should still have to give them some room because of what they are driving. One thing that has been mentioned a few times is that depending on the load, the farmer may not be able to see behind them. Now when Dad was still on the farm a few decades back and was in that situation he would stop the tractor, get off, and go back to see if it looked like anything was coming up behind him before proceeding across the road.
Having signals would be helpful even when the farmer can't see behind him. Put them on early, to give plenty of warning, then go for it. Now it would be the car driver's fault, no question.

Problem would be is that unless they hang lights on the trailers, tanks, and wagons these tractors pull, you still may not see what the driver's intentions are. That's some of the reason Dad would stop and get out to look if he had a load of hay or a comparable load behind him. The load was bigger than the tractors of the day and if you had an incompetent boob in a large car or semi come up behind you at a high rate of speed you honestly wouldn't see that coming until it was half over the top of you.

Not equivalent situations in the least.
BS.. we are talking about something traveling down the highway without blinkers or stop lights with an obstructed view of the traffic behind the driver and on the sides of the driver.. Sounds like a hazard if you ask me. At the very least put those magnet lights on the back like how some tow vehicles do..

BS.. we are talking about something traveling down the highway without blinkers or stop lights with an obstructed view of the traffic behind the driver and on the sides of the driver.. Sounds like a hazard if you ask me. At the very least put those magnet lights on the back like how some tow vehicles do..
The difference is that YOU are required to have a license plate, stop lights, turn signals, etc. The tractor & towed equipment is *NOT*.

The difference is that YOU are required to have a license plate, stop lights, turn signals, etc. The tractor & towed equipment is *NOT*.

I wonder how many more times you have to post this before it's understood:D

I spent a while driving that combo in MA, you can't hear/see crap when you're on the road and everyone just buzzes by you way too fast, it's unfeasable to get out and look any time you have to make a turn, you basically inch your way towards the center line and then make a dash for it and hope some douche isn't texting coming up on you
:farmer:

people need to realize that tractors really don't have brakes, especially when towing something when I see one on the road if they have mirrors I flash them until they wave me by or I make sure no to pass near any intersections/ag roads

Back