• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Crashed XJ

damn, that's a hell of a tractor.

I'd take it... especially if you get to keep the XJ at that price. You can probably pick another one up for 4-5k, or way less with engine/drivetrain issues, and swap parts over if needed.

Glad the wife isn't hurt, and sorry about your XJ. I'd total my Jeep out for 7100, happily.

The way it's beginning to sound, I'll bet he didn't bother looking before turning. How in the hell do you miss a vehicle that is painted that bright of a color if you're sober, not color blind, and still making the attempt to look behind you:shocked:

Since when do you have to yield to traffic behind you? What are you supposed to do, come to a stop in the highway and sit there blocking the lane until there are no cars for 2 miles any direction?

Since when do you have to yield to traffic behind you? What are you supposed to do, come to a stop in the highway and sit there blocking the lane until there are no cars for 2 miles any direction?

What a bunch of B.S. that is......

If you're operating a non-street legal vehicle that's allowed to travel on the roadways in order to get to/from the fields....... you're damn right I expect that the operator of that vehicle is going to operate it with a much higher level of attention and responsibility. So, yeah, I'd expect he'd be responsible enough to ensure no one is gonna try to pass him before making a left turn. How many times in the past do you think he's been overtaken by cars on the road while driving that tractor...... he's WELL aware that traffic approaches him from behind at a high rate of speed.

That tractor was moving at, what, 20-25 mph tops? With out any working warning lights, signals or any other equipment to use in order to signal any turn, much less the left turn......... into an unmarked "intersection" - no more than a dirt path into his field. I'm betting the State this occurred in requires vehicles that large to have some sort of illumination, flashing lights, etc when being operated on the roads.

How was she supposed to know what his driving intentions were at that time??????

I have no doubt, she saw the slow moving tractor ahead of her, moved over into the other lane in order to pass and that dipshit farmer couldn't be bothered to pull his head outta his keester to look over his shoulder to see a BRIGHT FRIGGIN' YELLOW vehicle approaching from behind......

The farmer is and should be held totally at fault.

Last edited:
maybe he did look, maybe he did hand signal. maybe he saw her and thought he had time and she was speeding. i am glad everybody was ok, but its not always the guy in the tractor. good luck with everything

If you're operating a non-street legal vehicle that's allowed to travel on the roadways in order to get to/from the fields....... you're damn right I expect that the operator of that vehicle is going to operate it with a much higher level of attention and responsibility. So, yeah, I'd expect he'd be responsible enough to ensure no one is gonna try to pass him before making a left turn. How many times in the past do you think he's been overtaken by cars on the road while driving that tractor...... he's WELL aware that traffic approaches him from behind at a high rate of speed.

That tractor was moving at, what, 20-25 mph tops? With out any working warning lights, signals or any other equipment to use in order to signal any turn, much less the left turn......... into an unmarked "intersection" - no more than a dirt path into his field. I'm betting the State this occurred in requires vehicles that large to have some sort of illumination, flashing lights, etc when being operated on the roads.

How was she supposed to know what his driving intentions were at that time??????

I have no doubt, she saw the slow moving tractor ahead of her, moved over into the other lane in order to pass and that dipshit farmer couldn't be bothered to pull his head outta his keester to look over his shoulder to see a BRIGHT FRIGGIN' YELLOW vehicle approaching from behind......

Beat me to it and went farther in your explanation than I would have too, Thanks Yella:thumbup:

maybe he did look, maybe he did hand signal. maybe he saw her and thought he had time and she was speeding. i am glad everybody was ok, but its not always the guy in the tractor. good luck with everything

Not sure about Shaggy's state, but when I've driven on those kinds of roads here in Illinois and when visiting family in Iowa, the speed limit has been 50-55mph and she was running 55-60. He may have hand signaled, but since he had no working lights he may not have even bothered with that too. In all honesty he's lucky she didn't run right into the back of him from not seeing his tractor since it appears that the sun was starting to go down at the time of the wreck. IIRC, here in Illinois, that's about when you need to start turning on you headlights before dark.

Was a 55mph county road and in Minnesota we can go up to 10mph over to pass. From what she told me he didn't slow for the turn and just hooked it left. All farm fields along here, so she had no way to know he was planning to turn at that point. I am definitely interested in seeing what the accident report says.

I am mostly satisfied with the offer as it's only about 1800 less then I paid for it if I get the deductable back. I have had the jeep for 5 years and was just starting to show some rust issues. They want 1200 for a buy back and I passed on that. Close to $14000 to repair according to insurance company...

I beg to differ, Troy.

Where I come from, farm equipment is absolutely not required to have lights during day light hours. Farm equipment is also not required to yield their right of way, they have the same rights to the road that you do. And with a lot of equipment (not in this case,) the operator is not able to see what's behind him. A gent back home tried to make a flying pass on me over a double yellow, at the crest of a blind hill & curve when I was making a left turn. I always crowded the yellow line and he still tried it. Messed up a nice 1967 Chevelle. He started bitching and got a ticket out of it.

Shaggy, I'm glad your wife is all right..... I'm not convinced that the tractor driver is at fault in the least. I'm not surprised that he just winged it to the left, with that implement on dry roads, he should be able to whip it right around.

I mentioned this to my Father, who grew up on his parents' farm and had both sets of grandparents that farmed and he pretty much said what Jeff did. He also pretty much stated that from his experiences years back, the Farmer has the right to do things like this without having to do any thing to notify motorists of their actions prior to doing so.

I totally agree w/ you.
Also don't take the settlement. You could take the vehicle part but what about your worry and hers and what if her neck hurts next week? $500 isn't anywhere near what this caused you...you need to find a car and worry about your wife, etc, etc! Make them sweat and get more.....you guys deserve more just for your trouble. Of course if you're broke and need the frogskins then you might need to settle quick. I'd try not to. run it by a lawyer...first visit is free.

Where I come from, farm equipment is absolutely not required to have lights during day light hours.

Why the hell not? Seems like basic safety sense to me (see also below)

Farm equipment is also not required to yield their right of way, they have the same rights to the road that you do. And with a lot of equipment (not in this case,) the operator is not able to see what's behind him.

I'm not convinced that the tractor driver is at fault in the least. I'm not surprised that he just winged it to the left, with that implement on dry roads, he should be able to whip it right around.

IMHO, if they have the same rights to the road, then they damn well have the same responsibilities. Any regular street-legal vehicle that pulled that sort of unsignalled maneuver would have gotten their butts reamed out. If he's going to drive that monster on the road, then he better have some way maintaining proper situational awareness and reliable means of announcing his intentions. Just being a farmer doesn't excuse you from being stupid or negligent.

And if he can't see what's behind him, why doesn't he have either a chase vehicle behind him or at least a big honking sign on the back that says "WARNING!! THIS FARM VEHICLE MAY STOP OR TURN WITHOUT WARNING - PASS WITH EXTREME CAUTION"????? (I'd have added "HONK HORN BEFORE PASSING", but figured hearing over the engine/tires/other noise isn't easy either)

So? MN, from what I can see. I grew up driving farm equipment. From everything that I know, he's legal, and had the right of way.

What a lot of you are fundamentally not understanding is that 1) farm equipment has a right to the road, and 2) is not required to have brake lights, turn signals, and everything else that you're claiming. He is required to drive as far to the right as possible, that goes out the window when he's making a left turn.

I've got a 60 minute commute each way to work, and a lot of that goes through rural farm country in southeastern MN. Most of that is on a 65mph boulevard, where farm equipment is 100% legal. That's one heckuva wakeup call, to be tooling up the road at 0630 in the morning with traffic to find someone with a 30' spray rig on the right shoulder at 18mph. And I'm sure he'd much rather be somewhere else.

Shaggy, your wife tried to pass him at (or above) the speed limit, late in the afternoon, correct?

Implements of Husbandry: Safety on Minnesota roads

The sole thing that might get the farmer in trouble would be non-functional hazards. I think that's a mid-70's model, if it was slightly older, even that wouldn't be in question.

Even flashers aren't (or at least weren't) required when I was hauling grain here in Indiana. Headlights and a taillight after sunset, and SMV signs was about it. Newer equipment mostly had lights and signals, not that those change the way most people drive. Granted, that's been 8 years or so ago, so the laws might have changed.

I didn't enjoy the highway driving, despite working lights, signals, and flashers. You wouldn't think you could have that many close calls at 15mph, but it can get really exciting.

"WARNING!! THIS FARM VEHICLE MAY STOP OR TURN WITHOUT WARNING - PASS WITH EXTREME CAUTION"?????

See that distinctive orange triangle with the red border on the back of the tractor? That's exactly what it means.

So the solution is to hang behind the tractor forever waiting for him to make whatever move he is going to make? I think any vehicle making a left hand turn is required to signal his intentions even if its a hand out the window. He at least had the responsibility to look over his shoulder.

In my semi, if I go to pass someone and don't look in my mirror and hit someone...even if I have my signal on, it's still my fault.

Ryan, the difference is that he's carrying an SMV symbol (see above posts.) In a lot of cases, the operator has no way to see what's behind, NOR IS HE REQUIRED TO. You operate under a different standard.

Your missing my point. He still has a responsibility to make sure of his surroundings. Everyone on the road does. It doesn't matter what kind of signs, lights or anything else you may have.

Sucks about the jeep but the guy on the tractor could have stopped and waved the jeep around.

Your missing my point. He still has a responsibility to make sure of his surroundings. Everyone on the road does. It doesn't matter what kind of signs, lights or anything else you may have.
Ryan, the TRACTOR had the right of way. Shaggy's wife did not.

So? MN, from what I can see. I grew up driving farm equipment. From everything that I know, he's legal, and had the right of way.

What a lot of you are fundamentally not understanding is that 1) farm equipment has a right to the road, and 2) is not required to have brake lights, turn signals, and everything else that you're claiming. He is required to drive as far to the right as possible, that goes out the window when he's making a left turn.

I've got a 60 minute commute each way to work, and a lot of that goes through rural farm country in southeastern MN. Most of that is on a 65mph boulevard, where farm equipment is 100% legal. That's one heckuva wakeup call, to be tooling up the road at 0630 in the morning with traffic to find someone with a 30' spray rig on the right shoulder at 18mph. And I'm sure he'd much rather be somewhere else.

Shaggy, your wife tried to pass him at (or above) the speed limit, late in the afternoon, correct?

Implements of Husbandry: Safety on Minnesota roads

The sole thing that might get the farmer in trouble would be non-functional hazards. I think that's a mid-70's model, if it was slightly older, even that wouldn't be in question.
Required or not, having some means of communicating your intentions would seem to be important if you ask me. If the law doesn't require tractors to have basic safety equipment like lights, signals, etc, it should. Otherwise why the big stink about dual sport dirt bikes? If it's a dirt bike that is being ridden on the street it needs mirrors, signals, and all that. Then when you consider how frickin massive that thing is, if he makes an unannounced left and someone hits him (like what happened) they could be in for a serious hurting.

Although, I do have to say,passing a big tractor like that without slowing down isn't the smartest thing either. Anytime I've come across one, I'll slow at least to 40 or below.

Back