• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Corral Canyon 10/19/2013

PahlMc

NAXJA Forum User
I'm sad I'm missing MOAB next month so I need a 4x4 trip. I've convinced my LA friends to drive my way and expierience Corral Canyon with me. I've never been there so I'm quite excited.

The plan is to head there early Saturday morning and wheel all day. Depending on how long that takes and some other factors, we may camp that night.

Anyone want to tag along? Anyone have any suggestions for out group? I've never been there like I said so the plan was to just wing it! Print a map and go have fun.

Our group just ran John Bull earlier this year...it will be an FJ, TJ, Samurai and my XJ. Eveyone is locked so we plan to find the harder trails.

i'd stay off bronco connector unless you all like carnage. It was pretty tore up last time i went. i'd say an xj on 35's with chromoly shafts and 2 lockers at a minimum. All rigs will probably want a winch and spare parts.

Well you just described my XJ...but the rest of the group is not that built. I'll save that trail for when I'm with some more capable people :) Glad to know they have a trail that hard core though. I have a friend with two toyota's built better than my XJ that will love it.

Gunslinger and Sidewinder are by far the most fun...if it's not busy, just run them in both directions. They are kinda short and will only take you a few hours. Agree with Vanimal, stay off the connector. Especially if you don't have someone with you who's already familiar with it. I've seen plenty of rolled rigs there. Espinoza is kinda boring, but going up to the radio tower has some nice views. Camp at Four corners, it's the closest to the trails and pretty much the trail head for everything. You have plenty of time, so if you haven't already done so, buy this: http://www.amazon.com/Southern-California-Backroads-4-Wheel-Trails/dp/0966497643 Here's another good page for you: http://4x4trailmaps.com/OHVA.php?OHVA_ID=1 Have fun...!

Gunslinger/911 is pretty fun, like he said. Sidewinder isnt bad, although i havent ran it since i was basically stock, and it wasnt very hard. Not sure how it would be on 35's and lockers. Great for a mild build though. like 31's-33's and 1 locker, or open/open with a minor tug in one or two spots. Bronco Peak is also fun as long as you go up to the peak and turn around without heading back down the other side towards the connector. rock sliders suggested for all those trails.

I'll be the most built in the group which means a little less challenging but the rest are perfect for these trails. Im just excited to run new trails. Ill hit the hard stuff with my crazy friends...or some NAXJA members!

Going down the back of bronco peak isn't bad as long as you have sliders and probably 33's. Its a lot of fun. I just ran up the back last weekend. But I'm locked front and back. There was also a tj in our group with a 3" lift and 33's and only a front locker. He had no issues either.

Put me down as a tentative yes.

I was out last weekend with 1990jeepxj and I would love to go out again.

I'm locked front and rear on 35"s also, not afraid of body damage or pushing it, but I'm open to whatever.

Just have a few things to sort out before I can commit to anything.

New member here,

I'm Ben, in the east county area of SD. I've been curious about Corral Canyon.

I'm about a year into my build.

I have a 97 xj, with a 4.5in lift and 31's although I got sick of the "little tires" pretty quick and will be moving up to 33's or 35's in the next month or two along with lockers.

I haven't gone out as much as I've want to. Mostly playing around in jamul and local areas. Nothing big.

I was just wondering if the trails at corral canyon are too much for my rig. If not I might be inclined to join you guys if it's an open invitation.

Thanks

Nope...I wheel there every now and then with a 3.5" lift and 31's with a rear locker. I get around just fine. The smaller tires mean picking smarter lines and having good spotters. I like to the think of my rock rash as custom pinstripes. I will be moving up to the 33's soon too.

let me guess shutdown? Or fire? Connector is fun, but yeah, F/R lockers and minimum 33's, 35's or taller preferred.

let me guess shutdown? Or fire? Connector is fun, but yeah, F/R lockers and minimum 33's, 35's or taller preferred.

33's would be a death wish in the state it was in last time i was there. I sure hope there isnt a fire, i was hoping to get out there soon.

Almost all of the trails have gates. They will be locked I imagine.

Back