• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Coolest $50 Fix: Hayden #2625 Deluxe Fan Clutch

X E Ryder

NAXJA Forum User
Hello XJ folk!

This one I had to share; I daily drive my '91 XJ to work up a 16% grade and it gets hot here in the summer. Lately I've been a little concerned about my cooling efficiency. With a new electric fan temp switch and 180oF thermostat I was still getting up over 210oF - I needed something more so I tried what worked on my towing vehicle: a quality Hayden fan clutch for the mechanical fan.

I can't believe the difference! I stay a good bit Below 210oF indicated now even when Hot Rodding up the hill! The Hayden unit has fewer cooling fins on the body so it gets a bit Warner, thereby engaging the fan at a bit lower temperature and locking up the fan more fully as well. When the fan is needed you can really hear it roaring away for several seconds as needed.

If your water temp needs a little bump lower I urge you to consider this simple, economical and effective fix! Comments / questions?

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=2420688

Best regards, XE (via iPhone sorry if typos)

Last edited:
I've recently considered making this switch myself..because of the hwy driving I do AND how hot it gets here. On my last road trip to my parents (about an hour away on the interstate) I was getting about 210-217 ish going up hills or just having to pass alot. My Jeep has a newer fan-clutch on it, newer radiator, good coolant flush, etc. This was reccomended to me by a friend to switch to the Hayden, I really think I am gonna give it a shot.

I would consider getting a trans temp gauge and see where that is as well. My guess it that since the lines run to the radiator when that heats up, your cooling system can be affected by that as well. A trans cooler is a good thing to do as well.

i'll have to check this out. i destroyed my 2 core brass rad and fan clutch. i could only get a single core hd aluminum and a Napa fan clutch. now when it hits 90 degress. it runs at 215 to 220. when i climb up the Questa grade it will hit 225-230. never did with the dual core and factory fan clutch

The # 2737 is the HD version.

Oh Right!

It was 105oF up here this weekend and I was towing my 3 seater Jetski/PWC back from the lake and it still remained just under 210oF on the gauge. Yes! You could REALLY hear the fan on the hills though, it was roaring! :)

I would consider getting a trans temp gauge and see where that is as well. My guess it that since the lines run to the radiator when that heats up, your cooling system can be affected by that as well. A trans cooler is a good thing to do as well.

Good call! I had not even thought of this! I mean while it's common knowledge, all too often we forget that little loop in the bottom tank plays it's part as well. :star:

I have one of those hayden fans. I bought it thinking my factory 130k mile clutch fan was out. It cooled worse then the old ass factory clutch. Maybe it helped you because the one you had on your Jeep was garbage but it isn't even as good as a factory fan. Save your money.

If you want an upgrade get NAPA 272310.

I have one of those hayden fans. I bought it thinking my factory 130k mile clutch fan was out. It cooled worse then the old ass factory clutch. Maybe it helped you because the one you had on your Jeep was garbage but it isn't even as good as a factory fan. Save your money.

If you want an upgrade get NAPA 272310.

Man, sorry you did not have such good luck. My OEM clutch tested good (pulled and used temp probe and hot water to test coil engagement) and seemed good to go, but I was not happy with the clutch "waiting" until 210+ to bother helping out.

The Hayden clutch locks the fan blades up tight and has made a world or difference for me, and its been over 100 here lately and I have to climb a horrid grade each day, as a matter of fact, the fan spins so much much it makes quite a racket until the water temp drops again.

I bet the folks at Hayden would give you a new one if you still have it. I'm not sure why your results were so poor when mine were obvious, either way I hope your XJ stays cool.

It is quite possible I got a crappy one out of the box, it wouldn't be the first part that I got that didn't work out of the box. It is in the garage with about 50 miles on it. I now have electric fans so it just stays around for a spare. It wasn't horrible, it just ran about 5 degrees warmer then the factory.

So what would be the preference here? I have a '99 4.0 AW4 w/ stock cooling system.

Go with the Hayden 2625 AKA NAPA 272318

or

Hayden 2737 AKA NAPA 272310

Looking for direct bolt in, no trimming, best cooling, longer lasting, don't fail me in 105 degree heat on my hour commute across the desert..

Back