• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cookie monster (lets hear some opinions on this)

GSequoia said:
If you're concerned about your calorie intake then beer is not the answer. Straight vodka maybe...

here's my favorite...

1552-1.jpg

Black Death, a vodka distilled from beets in Luxembourg was banned by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms in 1992, which asserted that the liquor's name and label-featuring a sinister image of a grinning skull in black top hat-created "the misleading impression of bubonic plague and poison." Cabo, the importing company, won its appeal against the ban in a federal district court the same year. Very sweet vodka and cloying on the palate with strong taste of burned sugars, but very smooth with hardly a trace of needle.

Back on topic... the Cookie Monster going healthy... What's next? Marlboro Man ads of him doing step-aerobics? (Hopefully in the back row, wearing Levi's cut-offs, sporting wood, and yelling "Smoke Break!")

Tickle me silly, call me Willy, and would Scotty hurry up and beam already! The creatures on this planet have finally begun to creep me out!

OTOH I was a fat kid too. With two fatter little bro's... I'm claiming "genetics" because we were always pretty active, but we didn't skip past the Hostess aisle too often either. About the time of my first, um, "awareness" of female companionship, some growing took place... I morphed from a short, ugly, fat kid, to an average, ugly, skinny kid, but one who could work his azz off after school to bring in the bux (bux + wheels = lovin! At least that has remained constant through the eons.) and row or sail a boat, all day when called upon. (bux + boats = lovin in wet places!)

I think if a person doesn't learn communication in their native language (by like 4th grade) and a more-common non-native language, they are screwed at several turns of life... At some point, the 'blame,' if one relishes laying it, shifts from the caregivers/teachers to the individual. This isn't saying these folks have no meaningful opportunies, but there IS a ceiling, and it's sometimes painful to watch heads popping through (especially when it's my own.)

I also think (MS Word) Speel Checker isn't a bad device, but the Grammer Checker is the spawn of a committee of iliterate beasts. Use at one's own peril.

woody said:
I also think (MS Word) Speel Checker isn't a bad device...
So did you intend for this little slip up? :laugh3:

I guess I got lucky, my parents always stressed healthy lifestyles and a good education. I agree that far to much is blamed on TV and the like. So what if he eats a lot of cookies? It only becomes a problem if the parents supply the kids, and even then, if they get a healthy diet and exercise along with the cookies they shouldn't have a problem. That's my .02

xjnation said:
X2..............our attitude will change when you have your own rugrats ecksay

I already have a 3-year-old and I stand behind my attitude. ;)

Public school is a bridge we'll burn when we get there. I'm doing my best now since Montessori isn't an option. :)

Last edited:
ECKSJAY said:
I already have a 3-year-old and I stand behind my attitude. ;)

Public school is a bridge we'll burn when we get there. I'm doing my best now since Montessori isn't an option. :)

Good the Montessori program is structured but uses outdated programs and attitudes., They do not use age apprpritate practice.

At 3 social interaction is the most important, learning his social skills now will stay with him forever.

xjnation said:
Good the Montessori program is structured but uses outdated programs and attitudes., They do not use age apprpritate practice.
I have friends with kids who have attended and I think it's pretty interesting. Just can't afford it right now is all. ;)
At 3 social interaction is the most important, learning his social skills now will stay with him forever.
She's a freakin' butterfly. Reserved when she needs to be, but most of the time we can't get her to shut up. :D

ECKSJAY said:
She's a freakin' butterfly. Reserved when she needs to be, but most of the time we can't get her to shut up. :D

Mine's been read the Necronomicon as a bedtime book since she was born...

Prolly explains why she speaks in tongues...

:firedevil

Gil BullyKatz said:
Mine's been read the Necronomicon as a bedtime book since she was born...

Prolly explains why she speaks in tongues...

:firedevil

I just finished reading The Hobbit to her. ;) She seemed kind of bored, so I think we're going to start on Tom Clancy this weekend.

My lady travels all over the state and into NM helping preschool and Headstart teachers get their teaching certificates and lectures around the country on child development. Its kinda cool to see the stages and kids that area pushed too early to read etc hve a tendancy to drop out later in life. LET em be kids! I feel there are many better programs out there and at half the cost.

You guys sound like you are doing a great job!

xjnation said:
My lady travels all over the state and into NM helping preschool and Headstart teachers get their teaching certificates and lectures around the country on child development. Its kinda cool to see the stages and kids that area pushed too early to read etc hve a tendancy to drop out later in life. LET em be kids!
Exactly. I don't push her to anything she doesn't want. I always encourage her to NOT give up at the very least. She asks for help if she doesn't understand or physically can't do something. :)

I feel there are many better programs out there and at half the cost.
I'm sure there are. I'm pretty much speaking in general terms. Another major aspect of this is her underachieving mother has primary custody and any time school comes up she plainly states that our daughter will be in public school. Hmm, I even offered to pay. Must be the fact she doesn't want her with us all the time. :rolleyes: Ah well, kid is doing fine and she's my best friend. :)
You guys sound like you are doing a great job!
Thanks.

I'm a little late on this (in more ways than one, since my kids are all grown up), but back to the original question on Cookie Monster. While generally agreeing that political correctness is a bad idea, I think we should keep in mind that Sesame Street is, and always has been, a didactic show in an entertaining wrapper. Looked at honestly, it's propaganda, whether or not you agree with the goals and values it represents. It's meant to teach pre-schoolers not just letters and numbers but ideas, values and practices. I don't mean this just as a criticism. I think it's well done. But it is what it is.

If you think Cookie Monster and his characteristic mania for cookies have intrinsic artistic or esthetic merit, then there might be a point for preserving him untouched, but as a character in Sesame Street he's a cog in an educational mechanism. If he can't be made to serve current educational goals, it would be better to retire him. If one of those goals is to induce kids to eat healthy food, then he'd better get with the program and start eating oatmeal cookies.

Speaking of fictional characters and healthy eating...

Remember the good ole' days when you could actually use the word "sugar"?

sugar_smacks.jpg

git216.jpg

Back