• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Control arms and drop brackets

This is cheaper than any of the aftermarket steering solutions, and is still the factory style (no mods) so you can borrow trail spares. Once you go aftermarket, your own your own for spares really. You can setup "one ton" steering for ~$300, but then your married to that setup and it usually requires some front end modifcation. To be honest thats the route -I- would go if I hadnt already done something aftermarket, but its not what I would suggest to someone I've never met who's technical skill and environment I am unfamiliar with.

Those part numbers I think are moog or spicer, I forget. Any auto parts store can come up with the parts if you give them those numbers.

-C

I had the SAME problem, got a RE track bar with bracket, made it worse. Got the drop brackets, everything's been great since. My vote is for drop brackets. I had 6.5" lift without brackets,(back before I knew anything) had terrible DW, right at 35-40 range, like he was explaining, couldn't drive it on the highway. After the brackets, all is well. Looseness is a probable cause, sometimes, but if I was him, put the drop brackets on and see what happens.

Put them on yes, but fix the problem, don't just count on them masquing the problem.

Yeah I just for now put on the junkyard tie rod system just to be drivable again but I plan on fixing all of this stuff hopefully this week. So how do you do the one ton upgrade? Any one have pics and such?

All of the kits seem to be basically the same. Check out JCR Offroads steering setup when their site isn't down anymore.

www.jcroffroad.com

Click steering upgrades. There are some tools required you might have to buy, but if you go that route will want them anyways. Expect to spend somewhere in the 3 to 4 hundred mark to go that way.

-C

Yeah, I noticed half the links were working. Figured that by the time he was ready to buy you'd have it fixed. :)

-C

Looks like I fixed the DW! (Even if it is only temporary) Well I changed over my tie rods and ends to some stockers in good condition and noticed my track bar axle mounting point was loose. Apperently, the track bar has a smaller eye hole than the mounting hole causing a loose fit. So, I made the axle mount hole the same size by some carefull welding. Now the bolt is a tight fit with no movement! I took it on the highway to the spot that NEVER fails to give me DW and, NO DW! So now I will add my drop brackets and get the thing professionaly aligned! (I did my own alignment already and it's almost perfect but I figure this'll be better than ALMOST...) Thanks for the trouble shooting and I think next time I kill my rods I'll switch to the 1-ton setup...

Back