• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

contouring 14 gauge steel

boise49ers

NAXJA Forum User
I bought a slice of 14 gauge to fit from my back door to the tailights for protection.
I thought it would be a bit more plyable. My first work with rolled steel. Is there a way to contour it to the body panel so it fits snug. It would have to be a back yard method. If not would a sheet metal shop be able to do it ? I figure I'll cut out for the flares and gas cap with a plasma cutter. I have a jigsaw , but from looks of the thickness it isn't going to cut it.
Any help would be Greatly appreciated. Yes I'm a rook so be gentle.
Thanks

Done with Fab work. Used the 2x4 & tire method. Jacked up the wheel set it in the middle and slowly drove back and forth. Worked great. Jigsaw and 4" grinder for cutting and grinding. Rivets should draw it in tighter and I'll have silicone behind it to prevent rattling.
Dscf0920resize.jpg

Is this going to protect the rear quater panel? Some thing like this maybe:
14036c21.jpg

If so you will need a press brake. Most sheet metal brakes are only rated to 16 gauge, so you mich want to check with local steel yards. The steel yard here will bend anything you want and they do thicker stuff that 1/4" with no problems.

You shouldn't have many problems cutting 14 gauge with a jog saw. Its not going to be the fastest method out there, but it will do the job.

Edit: Being I took so long typing I see that the guy above made a set that isn't as tall as the set in the picture I posted so the body line is not an issue. If you build a set like this you can ue his method and a press brake won't be required to form the body line!

Last edited:
Back