• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cone Filter Heat Shield

While it is not a cone filter at this point, there is a heat shield which would not change if the filter did. Tube and shield are made out of the same aluminum sheet. The tube will, probably at the same time that the filter is swapped, be covered with some sort of insulation.

intake219.jpg

intake2291.jpg

How did you mount it?

How did you mount it?

Mount what? The shield is attached to the seam thingie above the wheel well with rivets. In front of that, it's bent and riveted to the flat part where the box used to sit. The front of the shield is held up to the radiator with some wire going through it and around the radiator hose and a trans line. The filter I believe sits on the "floor" and the whole thing is kept from moving by the shield. The filter is mounted to the tube with the adaptor that came with it and some kind of pipe connector(which is a rubber thing, a metal thing, and 2 hose clamps).

Mounting the tube to the body will likely become more important/involved if I decide to use a cone filter on the tube. The other option I am considering is cutting a hole in the hood, adding some sort of scoop, and using that filter on top of the intake like it was intended to be.

Mine is not extravagant, but it helps. Was walking around Pick N Pull and found this piece of metal lying on the ground. Thought it would work pretty well, so I bought it for $0.50, took a hammer to it, and used some scrap parts I had laying around. trimmed a bit of it off, and viola. Had to cut/hammer part of the fender brace, as seen in the second picture. I was more aiming for mud/water deflection, and since I don't ever go into mud unless I have to, I didn't want to use the stock sealed airbox. It seems to work well. Intake tube is PVC with an air hose fitting threaded in for the breather hose.

IMG_0993.jpg

IMG_0996.jpg

IMG_0995.jpg

IMG_0999.jpg

IMG_1001.jpg

Also threw some door edge molding on there, since I was doing my fenders anyway.

IMG_1007.jpg

Last edited:
Any way while I figure out how to post here is what I did used wire meshto make the template and then some thin aluminum sheet from lowes to make the actual shield one solid pc have to paint it and finish the mounting in the morning should look damn nice and work great when it is done.
If i ever figure how to post pics it would be great.

I think the best options it to throw a K&N element in the stock air box... seals out all engine heat.... true it probably doesn't perform quite as well as a cone filter, but it has a pretty large surface area.. its a compromise..

I had a k&n in the stock swithed back to the that set up a couple of days ago and could feel the differance lost some power and pick up went hell.
That is why I went back to the cone and thought the Shield would help block some heat and dirt.

Here are some more pics The paint is on waiting to dry will post more pics when it is all done and installed

http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab6/cb1225/intakeshield2.jpg
http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab6/cb1225/intakeshieldmount.jpg
http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab6/cb1225/intakeshield1.jpg

Back