• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Colorado B/S Thread

Re: The Colorado BS thread

There is a reason before Ultra4 took off most Comp rigs were running 4cyl turbocharged engines and Toyota or 9” based axles. Also no trusses and tiny chassis. Even my little JHF chassis will be massive compared to those. The Rock Lizard is basically a 2 seat WERock rig. If I wasn’t going so family trail oriented I’d be doing something like that Rock Lizard myself.

Yeah I think outside of west slope. Indy and carnage set the tone. But between gypsum, rangely, and montrose it’s not even a competition.
Yes there are trails and lines on those trails that can be done in a simple rig, 37’s, etc. but you’re going to winch at least once. Even then some optional lines and cutoffs aren’t even doable.
Other trails, no rear steer and 40’s are the bare minimum on non full bodied rigs. The one full body rig (if you can call a boat side crushed can of a LJ full body) I saw on boulder was on its side about as much as he was on the line. Rangley is a whole different animal. And I haven’t got to see much of gypsum yet.

Montrose is high on our list of where to move after my son graduates high school in 7 years because of all those areas.

Yes, but mine has also wheeled a bit more :D

Carnage and Indy are now what I would consider mild. Boulder Canyon and stuff like it is now what I would consider "hard".

If you don't much get further than Indy and Carnage, then yeah, your rig is just fine.

But get into the more gnarly stuff, and there's even trails I wouldn't nose up to in my buggy, since rear steer and a bit more light/nimble are needed.

Indy and carnage are going to be the majority of weekend runs . I will run Boulder Canyon as well I just don't expect to make the exit without a cable , but many buggies don't either. I haven't wheeled enough to need to move up to buggy ability my driving is still exceeded by my rigs capability.

Indy and carnage are going to be the majority of weekend runs . I will run Boulder Canyon as well I just don't expect to make the exit without a cable , but many buggies don't either. I haven't wheeled enough to need to move up to buggy ability my driving is still exceeded by my rigs capability.

Little secret. A lot of folks drive the exit.
The exit used to be the issue. But it is far from the hardest part of that trail. The z turn with 6’ holes and 15’ drops on other side can mess up about anyone. Aside from kalif of course. That rat bastard drives up everything at 103” wb like it’s easy. But I could probably carry his rig...

Little secret. A lot of folks drive the exit.
The exit used to be the issue. But it is far from the hardest part of that trail. The z turn with 6’ holes and 15’ drops on other side can mess up about anyone. Aside from kalif of course. That rat bastard drives up everything at 103” wb like it’s easy. But I could probably carry his rig...

My idea of a nice buggy is in line with the Flop shops jimmys based chassis. Wide wide rigs are a bandaid for high center of gravity and long wheelbase is as well . A rig like the Flop shop buggy can be 106 and 80ish wide and fit on lines 96 wide and 122 long will not .

The Colorado BS thread

229375456fbc8646abbce0d93da40453.jpg

Crick is a hell of a driver and he got bound up.

1501a026686ca3b4fc05e960a3eacd6d.jpg

Scottie’s rig is comparable length to you and was getting beat up on that trail.

e9738b6e89df0ee7671ccc4cc244f5de.jpg

Kalif did the best and drove everything no issues (minus lost bead on exit) but he is also a werock guy.

BC is no joke. I saw the Rodriguez boys with rear steer and 42’s? Struggling in that spot. And there’s a few spots after that, that are no jokes themselves.

I mean the built to hell LJ made it a whopping 15 feet before ending on his side.
2120a5fba56e65e3b3e0684164eccc69.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

229375456fbc8646abbce0d93da40453.jpg

Crick is a hell of a driver and he got bound up.

1501a026686ca3b4fc05e960a3eacd6d.jpg

Scottie’s rig is comparable length to you and was getting beat up on that trail.

e9738b6e89df0ee7671ccc4cc244f5de.jpg

Kalif did the best and drove everything no issues (minus lost bead on exit) but he is also a werock guy.

BC is no joke. I saw the Rodriguez boys with rear steer and 42’s? Struggling in that spot. And there’s a few spots after that, that are no jokes themselves.

I mean the built to hell LJ made it a whopping 15 feet before ending on his side.
2120a5fba56e65e3b3e0684164eccc69.jpg

I've seen rock rash run the trail with that old leaf sprung 4 seater Toyota with the jungle gym of tube built around it ...no rear steer 42 Iroks and it's wide and long . I've also seen a still fairly heavy xj based buggy run it as well... it's extreme for a big rig with no rear steer , but not impossible . Some guys also take lines that they have no chance in he'll of pulling off and spend all day failing rather than driving .

Yeah when was that? Because it’s not the same it was last year. Rocks and trees have moved and more sand in areas there used to not be.
Also in some spots, there isn’t a line option. It’s more like, this is the way up, take it or leave it.

The Colorado BS thread

8bd3f4a68db3edab943051359545d0b1.jpg

Example. There’s about one way up this. And that’s straight. Especially in a long rig. And to the right is a large wall, so making it fit is a challenge. As of right now, there are no lines, just a line.

67595e32aa3bb2c781f10108a07c447d.jpg

Scottie for reference.
IIRC he’s 116”, 40 reds. Lexus v8. Don’t remember who made the chassis. He Austin powered it into spot. Still took cable.

It’s like carnage.
Big rain? Trail changed.
Big group runs it? Trail changed.
Guys come through and toss all the stacked rocks out of the way? Trail definitely changed.
Someone winches hung up and drags a rock? Trail changed.

Most of the Montrose trails are big rocks laying on very soft silty dirt. They move constantly.

Yeah when was that? Because it’s not the same it was last year. Rocks and trees have moved and more sand in areas there used to not be.
Also in some spots, there isn’t a line option. It’s more like, this is the way up, take it or leave it.

Lol... probably a few years ago now. I would say that until one has done all of penrose and carnage winchless and Cleveland rock they really don't need a buggy to expand on their challenges .Also my closest wheeling partners are not as willing to take body damage as I am so extreme trails that don't offer a way out if that are far and few between . The lady trail run out a dent in my buddies fender and I think he is still in mourning.

The Colorado BS thread

3c0b9b9daefb7ff80fafb214ea6beb41.jpg

You mean this turd????
:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
That was 6 years ago now, I can see the spots that are drastically different. And that thing lived on the winch line in every obstacle you see of it.
As good ol Led says, I can winch up a ****in tree, doesn’t mean I wheeled it.

I think you’ll make it through. I just think you’ll be on your side more than once and take a strap. Which, I’m not hating on at all. Do it to it. There’s plenty of other trail options out there that are a total hoot too.
Keep in mind, most of the folks on this side of the hill that I’ve met regularly running here and gypsum discuss Indy as a race in reference to minutes, and carnage as similar minus the wall to v notch.
LED has been out here. Ask him. If you toss Indy and carnage together, that’s the other ‘easy’ trails in the area. Then it’s BC.
Drag that bitch out here and run em. Ain’t gonna know til ya show.

3c0b9b9daefb7ff80fafb214ea6beb41.jpg

You mean this turd????
:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
That was 6 years ago now, I can see the spots that are drastically different. And that thing lived on the winch line in every obstacle you see of it.
As good ol Led says, I can winch up a ****in tree, doesn’t mean I wheeled it.

I think you’ll make it through. I just think you’ll be on your side more than once and take a strap. Which, I’m not hating on at all. Do it to it. There’s plenty of other trail options out there that are a total hoot too.
Keep in mind, most of the folks on this side of the hill that I’ve met regularly running here and gypsum discuss Indy as a race in reference to minutes, and carnage as similar minus the wall to v notch.
LED has been out here. Ask him. If you toss Indy and carnage together, that’s the other ‘easy’ trails in the area. Then it’s BC.
Drag that bitch out here and run em. Ain’t gonna know til ya show.

Yep that's the rig .

Like 6 minute laps up and down Indy/patriot. Can’t wait to see my white whale dropping in.

Back