• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Colorado B/S Thread

Re: The Colorado BS thread

My daughter's RMS still has a slow leak. About 280,000 miles on the 89.

Only using about 1 quart between oil changes, been using 10W30. Thinking of having here switch to 15W40 now (at least till December?).

She is the Colorado Springs/Detroit area area.

Any thoughts? I use 20W50 on my 87, with 290,000 miles but I am way down south, never gets below about 25 F here.

My guess is she probably use 20W50, but????

Already using Bars Leaks RMS additive with each oil change. Still do not have 100% confirmation of the oil leak location, to my satisfaction.

Only using about 1 quart between oil changes, been using 10W30. Thinking of having here switch to 15W40 now (at least till December?).

Any thoughts? I use 20W50 on my 87, with 290,000 miles but I am way down south, never gets below about 25 F here.

Already using Bars Leaks RMS additive with each oil change. Still do not have 100% confirmation of the oil leak location, to my satisfaction.

At about 250,000 miles my XJ I had Amsoil 20/50W while in Iowa. It sucked gas big time first thing in the morning from mid October onwards. I have since dropped back to 15/40W.

The high ethanol content in the gas did not help either,...200 miles or less on 15 gallons of gas.

I bet she uses 10w-30. Don't ask me how I know. :spin1: I would have her switch to 15w-40 and then go back seasonally. Or just let it leak and top off.

I bet she uses 10w-30. Don't ask me how I know. :spin1: I would have her switch to 15w-40 and then go back seasonally. Or just let it leak and top off.

How DO you know? Hmmm, LOL

:roflmao:

The only problem is when she does a mountain run, the angle of the dangle changes and it drips right on the exhaust pipe thingy, LOL, and smokes like the devil not to mention the odor.

My rigs all eat 4 times more 20W50 than hers drips of 10W30, but where it drips is a PITA doing those mountains climbs.

Anyway, thanks, she is close to an oil change (2-3 weeks) so we will try the 15W40.

She added some Blue Devil RMS this week. Never tried that brand before. Be interesting to see if the drip vanishes in 2 weeks first.

Thanks for taking a brake this week, LOL.

I've got 8hrs into the rear strut set up and am almost done with them . I just need to open up the driver side a bit more and burn the tower in and the struts are basically done. I still need to tie the towers into the cage and make new covers for the fuel tank ...lol...then I get to add cross bracing to the c pillar hoop and run it through the roof into the halo and then tie the cage to various points of the inner body sheet metal . I still need to get seats and harness in and go back under hood to mount all the stuff I removed, which I'm waiting to do until my new motor mounts arrive as they are easier to reach with the bay stripped.

So this followed me home today. 1970ish CJ6 tub sand blasted and in very good condition. Has the fenders and the hood too. No grill, dash, tailgate, or windshield frame though.

IQyhcmV.jpg

Xsz5d22.jpg

Man youre all in for this project! I won't lie I'm a bit jealous of your plans. You should start a thread im interested in what you do with that little diesel. And that tub looks to be in pretty good shape. Had a buddy just pick up a cj7. It's uhhh....rusty. good find.

We ran eagle Rock again today. Saw no one on the trail. Kinda surprised me. Pretty clean too but the bottom where all the wing nuts camp is trashed as usual and once you hit captain Jack's back to reservoir is trashed again. Seems like it's rained a lot up there as the trail has changed quite a bit again but a good run!

Last edited:

I’ve got a thread on Pirate and EarlyCJ5 for the ‘57. I’ll probably start another on the CJ6 as well. I’ve got a line on an actual CJ6 title for this one so I’m hoping I can keep the 5 complete and running as it is and do the 6 up seperate.

It's pretty sad when a panhandler capable of working has a gofundme page set up for him by some people he recently met and then bitches about not getting every penny from the gofundme donations ...lol...the real victims are the suckers who sent box car willy donations as he should be working and self sustaining...lol...I look a a gofundme page for this person to be the big gun version of a cardboard sign and he doesn't even need to stand on the corner practicing that pathetic hand me cash look .

Was going to buy a complete pallet set up from mars , but it looks like since I'm not doing a motor swap for another year that it's going to be much cheaper to go to place like lkq and pull my own donor motor and trans ...the only choice is 5.3 or 6.0 ... it's worse than tire decisions.

Was going to buy a complete pallet set up from mars , but it looks like since I'm not doing a motor swap for another year that it's going to be much cheaper to go to place like lkq and pull my own donor motor and trans ...the only choice is 5.3 or 6.0 ... it's worse than tire decisions.

Good luck finding a 6.0 at a yard.

It's probably to easier to find a kingpin D60 than one of those.

5.3, a bit easier...but no guarantee if it'll be a giant paperweight.

Good luck finding a 6.0 at a yard.

It's probably to easier to find a kingpin D60 than one of those.

5.3, a bit easier...but no guarantee if it'll be a giant paperweight.

My buddy Rick is at the pick n pulls all the time he says these are always there they just don't sit long...that being said I'm not swapping engines until winter of 2019 and I said I would never do stickys or bother with anything above coils and shocks , but so far since January I've dumped $ 15,000 into my XJ...so I said I did not need and 6.2 ls3 either ...get the idea .

he says these are always there they just don't sit long...

Sorry, gotta call BS on that. MAYBE 5.3's, but IF the yard doesn't pull the 6.0L themselves (LQK and PnP both do this), it would likely be gone within a few hours of being there. Both those places know what they buy, and I've seen the "good" stuff taken before it lands in the yard. LKQ Denver used to have a "premium" section where these would end up. Now most just end up listed on car-parts.com, an employee takes it, the business resells it locally, etc.

6.0's that are completely trashed, or not worth it might be...but it's not like the LQ4 or LQ9 platforms are "new".

Sorry, gotta call BS on that. MAYBE 5.3's, but IF the yard doesn't pull the 6.0L themselves (LQK and PnP both do this), it would likely be gone within a few hours of being there. Both those places know what they buy, and I've seen the "good" stuff taken before it lands in the yard. LKQ Denver used to have a "premium" section where these would end up. Now most just end up listed on car-parts.com, an employee takes it, the business resells it locally, etc.

6.0's that are completely trashed, or not worth it might be...but it's not like the LQ4 or LQ9 platforms are "new".

Most likely it would be a mute point as I'm probably not going to have the extra time to hunt the yards much less take time off from work to pull a motor an moments notice , so I'm sure I'll be buying something pulled already . The slightly older gen3 6.2 I'm seeing for around $6-7K 50-100k miles the 6l80 run $1000-2000 , so I think that swap could be done for around $10k . If I found a really low miles lm7 and 4l60 I could go that route , but a super high miles lm7 at 285/325 is less attractive than handing Golan $5,000 for fresh ready to bolt in 265/300 4.6 stroker and pimping it out with Hesco aluminum heads for extra hp , but I'd hate to go the 4.6 stroker route and not be happy after dripping around $7-8 k ...lol...no way in he'll would a 400hp v8 leave me unhappy .

IMG_20180914_56949.jpg
10 hrs into the rear struts...they are in enough to take nitrogen , but my tank was down to 100lbs , so got to get up early tomorrow to go to rocky mountain air solutions to grab a fresh tank. I've become lazy I used most of the tank raising the front to open up things to easily reach and weld up rather than take tires off and lower the axle or remove it completely...after this it's time tie the cage into the subframe better and open up all my lower control arm mounts to 3/4 so I can put on the big bling ballistic lowers ...lol... these things are so tight it's unreal.

There's a 6.2/6L80 combo on CL for $4500. The ad is over a month old so it may be long gone, but Escalades seem to pop up every so often.

I'd do a 6.0 or 6.2 over a stroker all day long. I had a stroker in the Cherokee and a 6.2 in my current (non Jeep) DD, and there's really no comparison. Dropping a 4.6 in is way easier, but the 400 hp will be way more fun!

There's a 6.2/6L80 combo on CL for $4500. The ad is over a month old so it may be long gone, but Escalades seem to pop up every so often.

I'd do a 6.0 or 6.2 over a stroker all day long. I had a stroker in the Cherokee and a 6.2 in my current (non Jeep) DD, and there's really no comparison. Dropping a 4.6 in is way easier, but the 400 hp will be way more fun!

That's my thought the 4.6 is just a 4.0 going back in , but for the cost it's lacking a bit on the power to dollars...my xj weighs in at 5,800 lbs and the sound of a v8 would complete the package . I'm either going to sell the 5.0 atlas or swap out diff gears to a 4.10 the 6l80e has a 4.0 first gear and taller o.d. than the aw4 so I'd lose nothing on the crawl but would get a stronger pinion gear and in effect be the same as doing a 3.8 atlas. I may grab a camaro or corvette motor they come complete at around $7,000 with almost no miles . The more expensive car stuff fits under hood easier .

Back