• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Colorado B/S Thread

Re: The Colorado BS thread

Heh heh, oops, silly me. I forgot Ben's way up in Sterling...... I imagine they call those events a "cattle drive"......

Regardless, I'm betting it involves a whole lot of ropin', whippin' and yee-haw'in...... and spurs......

:D

Darn it Troy, there you go again gettin me all excited and stuff.

You know you really miss out living in that fancy city.

Darn it Troy, there you go again gettin me all excited and stuff.

You know you really miss out living in that fancy city.

Yeah, I can dig why some of you guys live out in the sticks.......... no witnesses........ How's that saying go? "The land where men wear boots....... and the sheep are nervous".......... :D

Ok fellas, I need a little advice...

OK fellas, I need a little advice. Don't worry I won't hold you to it, I just need to get a general idea of WTF to do.

My biological father passed away last weekend. His wife is right behind him, last estimate was another week. Apparently that leaves me as the heir and now I've got greedy uncles calling me up wanting the goods.. they apparently don't know that there really aren't any. Stepmom's sisters are out there tending to her right now, and out there = Hawaii so I can't just pop out for the weekend. Things are really clear as mud right now, stepmom has about 10 lucid minutes a day and her sisters are trying to find out if there is a will, life insurance, safety deposit box, all that kind of stuff. But right now nobody knows.

Depending on what they had lined up this could be a real fustercluck. They entered a rent to own type agreement on the house with a promissory note, so that may be notarized and legally binding. There's a few owned vehicles, and who knows what kind of debt. I don't want to hire a lawyer for a couple G's only to find out all assets went to pay debts and this deal ends up costing me money.

What the hell do I do?

Wow, sorry for your loss Jon.

Yeah, this sounds like no fun at all brutha. And it certainly looks like a real high-stress, complicated set of issues for one guy, not real experienced in these issues, to have to take on.

Hope you get some good, quality direction and answers.

unfortuantly all the good lookin gals are gone for the summer all thats left is corn fed heifers. but we do get some good parties going here come winter time especially with my buddies hottub he lugged over here on night on a flat bed. had a beach party with four inches of snow outside. pretty sweet he put a foot of sand on his flat bed loaded the hottub on to it, built a tiki bar complete with mini fridge, a lifeguards chair on the tounge of the goose neck and even bought a fake palm tree for it. THAT was a crazy freaking night!

But out here in sterling i got the best of both worlds mcdonalds, taco johns, and college glas, plus a two min drive to the middle of no where to put the spurs to good use.

Jjacobs, I am very sorry for your loss man. I do help folks with this type of thing from time to time. Unfortunetly it is never easy or time effective. First thing is first you need to focus on getting yourself a certificate of death. While our waiting for this we need to find out where your father did his banking. Hopefully this was done somewhere that also offers branches in Colorado. If there is a local branch you wanna get ur butt down there and see how they can help you. Usually you will need a certificate of death along with a small claims affidavit to find out if you are a bennificiary or not. If you are not a bennificiary and the account is sole owned and the assets don't exceed hawais cap for a small claims affidavit you will be able to gain access into these monies so long as it is approved by the banks legal department. This is why I'm crossing my fingers that there is a local branch available for you/if not give them a call. Really we just need to get the certificate and in the meanwhile see if you can findout if there has ever been a trust or will formed for your father. If there are any funds that will be coming to your father now that ge has passed you will need to form an estate to negotiate those items(I can help you get the tax number for an estate over the phone with the IRS and show you how to form an estate)

as far as a will goes, I'm going to talk to a friend at the office that deals with this sorta thing more often than me. But my guess is that upon passing the heirs to the assets would be notified by whomever helped
your father make those docs official. I wana also find out what you might need for those cars. I typed this up on my iPhone soo I appologize if this is hard to read. Feel free to call me on my cell for any questions man.
719-217-5551. Anthony

Call the DMV In Hawaii and ask what's needed to get these cars in ur name if u wantm. Also If you could come up with the vins maybe you can do some of this with them over the phone n just havem shipped here? Just tryin to help u brainstorm, really because it's in Hawaii that makes this soo mich tougher. I don't know thief survivorship laws or their small claims affidavits/ but I hear ya on the whole lawyers are expensive thing. Do u know how long ur father did the rent to own thing btw?

Jon give me a call. I've been through this and can help. It's the least I can do for all the help you have been.

Sorry to hear of your loss. If there is anything else I can do let me know.

Jjacobs, I am very sorry for your loss man. I do help folks with this type of thing from time to time. Unfortunetly it is never easy or time effective. First thing is first you need to focus on getting yourself a certificate of death. While our waiting for this we need to find out where your father did his banking. Hopefully this was done somewhere that also offers branches in Colorado. If there is a local branch you wanna get ur butt down there and see how they can help you. Usually you will need a certificate of death along with a small claims affidavit to find out if you are a bennificiary or not. If you are not a bennificiary and the account is sole owned and the assets don't exceed hawais cap for a small claims affidavit you will be able to gain access into these monies so long as it is approved by the banks legal department. This is why I'm crossing my fingers that there is a local branch available for you/if not give them a call. Really we just need to get the certificate and in the meanwhile see if you can findout if there has ever been a trust or will formed for your father. If there are any funds that will be coming to your father now that ge has passed you will need to form an estate to negotiate those items(I can help you get the tax number for an estate over the phone with the IRS and show you how to form an estate)

as far as a will goes, I'm going to talk to a friend at the office that deals with this sorta thing more often than me. But my guess is that upon passing the heirs to the assets would be notified by whomever helped
your father make those docs official. I wana also find out what you might need for those cars. I typed this up on my iPhone soo I appologize if this is hard to read. Feel free to call me on my cell for any questions man.
719-217-5551. Anthony

Jon -- sorry for your loss, its a tough time and even tougher when you're the one who has to deal with the mess left behind. Anthony's on the right track here. In Colorado, an estate does not have to be submitted to probate in the court unless there are assets in excess of $50k - without an owned residence, that is somewhat unlikely, as personal items are valued at used resale, not replacement, for probate purposes. Do a couple internet searches: "Colorado Small Estate Affidavit", "Colorado Small Estate Settlement". Once you have an affidavit (something you can prepare and have notarized), you can then close his bank accounts and secure those assets -- I would suggest opening a new account solely for this purpose so that you do not end up co-mingling your funds and the estate funds. I don't practice in this area, but had to deal with it last year when my Dad passed away -- I'll PM you my number and you can feel free to give me a call, I'll provide whatever help I can. It sounds like this is something Anthony deals with a bit more, perhaps... good luck.

Chris

Keep in mind an estate is only needed IF you have any checks that are made to your fathers name or to the estate of your father.(now that he is passed there is no other way to deposit these items) That stuff is easy pleasy mayne.
@ xj-grin who did you go through to beecome exec of
the estate u formed? I've heard there are forms that u can get at the courthouse here in el paso/ but I've only seen them formed through attorneys that specialize in estates/trusts

Keep in mind an estate is only needed IF you have any checks that are made to your fathers name or to the estate of your father.(now that he is passed there is no other way to deposit these items) That stuff is easy pleasy mayne.
@ xj-grin who did you go through to beecome exec of
the estate u formed? I've heard there are forms that u can get at the courthouse here in el paso/ but I've only seen them formed through attorneys that specialize in estates/trusts

I was specified in my Dad's will as his personal representative, but I actually did not formally probate the estate, as the assets were less than $50k. I prepared an Affidavit of Heirship, presented it to his banks, and they wrote me a check to close all his accounts. I am an attorney, but estates are not my bag, just a little experience with my Dad last year, and another client a few years back that I probated as a favor.

Food for thought for EVERYONE reading this.
Make a trusted family member an owner on your banking relationship. Colorado has a survivorship law for what the XXXX ever u have in checking/saving accounts. Soo if n e thing happens to me, my dad can come to the bank and pull out what he needs to bury my azz/ he can do this and close all my shit without even a death certificate.
If u have any ira's 401ks make sure to put a bennificiary on that shit/u can't have another owner on n e retirement vehicles that I'm aware of..

Food for thought for EVERYONE reading this.
Make a trusted family member an owner on your banking relationship. Colorado has a survivorship law for what the XXXX ever u have in checking/saving accounts. Soo if n e thing happens to me, my dad can come to the bank and pull out what he needs to bury my azz/ he can do this and close all my shit without even a death certificate.
If u have any ira's 401ks make sure to put a bennificiary on that shit/u can't have another owner on n e retirement vehicles that I'm aware of..

wicked good advice -- my dad and I discussed that for a year before he died and we never got around to it. It would have saved me some serious hassle.

Anybody know where to get duece and a halfs in Colorado?

Back