• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Colorado B/S Thread

The Colorado BS thread

Had to add some orange, it is a KTM after all.
null_zpsa7f8e5b4.jpg

The Colorado BS thread

I just bought it yesterday. Lets just say that KLR's are apparently worth a lot more totaled than they cost to buy. Had to beg the wife for some tax return money.

Re: The Colorado BS thread

I just bought it yesterday. Lets just say that KLR's are apparently worth a lot more totaled than they cost to buy. Had to beg the wife for some tax return money.
:confused: Soooooo, what is with the post about having a busted hand, and busted hip?

Well, about an hour after this picture was taken

null_zps049b4233.jpg

this happened
null_zps73d8920e.jpg

I broke my hand and fractured my pelvis as a result of going off the bike between 50-60mph and bouncing off the ground 4 times before coming to a stop roughly an 1/8 mile from where I left the road. The bike did an end over end tumble and landed nearby. This was a result of too much weight at the back of the bike (resulting in a too light front), 40 MPH cross winds, and trying to maintain too high a speed (75mph) after passing a big rig. Front end started wobbling real bad and turned into full on tank slap. Unable to regain control (more rider experience would've helped here) I aimed for the weeds and mentally braced for the pain.

First thing the wife told me was I need to get a bigger bike if I ever plan to go on a long interstate ride again, hence the 950 Adventure. Its got a 100hp 245cc V-Twin, a 6-speed, and weighs 500lbs full of fuel and fluids. That's compared to the KLR's 390lbs "wet" weight. Its also got a lot more wind protection for the rider, amazingly better brakes, and a real suspension under it.

Last edited:

Fookin ouch! You are lucky the learning curve didn't eat you alive.

Soooo, does it take a long time to type with one hand? :firedevil

About as long as it takes your Commodore 64 to upload a new post.

Its only my pinky bone in my hand that's broken. I don't even have a cast on it, just have to keep it taped to my ring finger. They might be putting a pin in it though.

You need to buy a lottery ticket.

Are you able to work?

Yeah, I recently moved into a production control position at the shop so no loss of work.

Dayum..... Glad you got to walk away from that......

So, what you're saying is that bikes get death wobble too? "Full on tank slap" sounds mucho no bueno.

Dayum..... Glad you got to walk away from that......

So, what you're saying is that bikes get death wobble too? "Full on tank slap" sounds mucho no bueno.

Yeah, as I learned after the incident motorcycles can also get death wobble. Its caused by a myriad of things from out of balanced tires, improper suspension setup, worn head bearings (steering pivot), poor fork angle, etc etc. Reading up on it afterwards it seems like the biggest thing I did wrong that kept me from regaining control was grabbing brakes. Especially with my bike only having the brake on 1 side of the front wheel. I should have loosened my grip on the bars up a whole lot (to the point of taking a hand off even) and just gradually reduced throttle to get the bike slowed down, then if it hadn't stopped wobbling gradually increased throttle and tried accelerating out of it.

There is probably as much/if not more info on head-shake, steering wobble, and tank-slapper on the web than there is about death wobble on our jeeps.

Only when dumpsters are attached to the rear... Very nice bike though Down here those go for 15 000 new .

Yeah, I'd love to drop some cash and get into a payment for the 990 Adventure Baja Edition or a Yamaha Super Tenere. The BMW 800 and 1200 GS Models are high on my like list as well. I just hate payments and being a new rider don't want to have that much money invested in a bike. I kind of took a gamble on the 950 as its a more complicated and pricier (parts wise) to maintain than the KLR's are. Its a 2004 with just over 60,000 miles on it. Still, after having 2 S4's now with 200,000+ I think I'm pretty capable of making performance Euro-vehicles go for a long time. I'll be taking the 950 up to the Loveland KTM dealer for a good inspection to make sure its all in good working order, I'm also going to have them lower it down for me. 35" seat height is a bit high for my 31" inseam, and this bike doesn't squat down like the KLR did. I'll be ordering a lower seat as well. The goal is to get it down to 32" unladen seat height. That's where the 990 Adventure Baja edition is so it should be doable. I'll loose offroad ability but for my plans that won't be an issue. After a year or two I'll probably go out and get the 1190 Adventure R when it comes stateside. Or who knows, I might get to where want a DZ400 for crazier offroad work and a HD geezer-glide for the road. I definitely want to start learning the dirt and have a class scheduled with Ricky Orlando for dirt bike basics. I plan to take all the dirt bike classes and he has a dual-sport specific course as well.

Last edited:

Poor tire pressures, rear wheel out of alignment... The list is long. Glad you came out of it relatively unscathed.

Just backs up what I have always maintained...

There are two types of Motorcyclists, those that have fallen off and those that are getting ready to fall off.

Have fallen off more than one myself.

Dutch I am super Jealous of your bike , If I was 10 years younger I would go get me a bmw 650 enduro ,I would do it now but my family would have me commited ! wait they did that once and I escaped :D

Go for it Jim, I could totally see you jumping dunes on a thumper. You'd probably be wearing your jean shorts and flip flops too no less. :D

Its tempting But I just turned 75 and bought a Lexus 430 I am now in my cruise mode . Plus I would proabably run over my o2 hose .Plus any more in Caca land there is very few places to ride in the dirt without the nature Nazi's harassing you

Last edited:

One thing Dutch, Those big dual sport adventure bikes don't really work that well off road , there fine on dirt roads but they aren't gonna hang with a fast dirt bike so no rock crawling

Oh I know, I don't have any plans to single track at all. Mostly highway mountain cruises with my Harley buddies and the occasional fire road to get to a cool scenic area or something.

Back