• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Colorado B/S Thread

Re: The Colorado BS thread

This was a thick/heavy snow.

The fishes are happy.

Plenty of water open right now but I'm not as well versed up in your neck of the woods. South Platte is fishing really well right now overall. Spinney Ranch is seeing some spawning Rainbow's moving in and, with them, are the other fish looking for a free omelet meal. Low flows throughout the S. Platte are making it tough which is why I want it to dump now. School is in down in Cheeseman Canyon but there are big fish set up. Just real spooky with the low levels. Deckers has been fishing really well lately and I do not like that place because it's always a sausage fest. I've been meaning to get up to Denver area to go slumming right off the highway for Carp on a fly rod. Where is Westminster?

Plenty of water open right now but I'm not as well versed up in your neck of the woods. South Platte is fishing really well right now overall. Spinney Ranch is seeing some spawning Rainbow's moving in and, with them, are the other fish looking for a free omelet meal. Low flows throughout the S. Platte are making it tough which is why I want it to dump now. School is in down in Cheeseman Canyon but there are big fish set up. Just real spooky with the low levels. Deckers has been fishing really well lately and I do not like that place because it's always a sausage fest. I've been meaning to get up to Denver area to go slumming right off the highway for Carp on a fly rod. Where is Westminster?

Do you have any experience fishing Lake Tarryall? What kind of fish are in there? We passed it the other day going up to China Wall. Looks like a good place for fishing. I don't know if you just fly fish rivers or whatever. You seem like the person to ask about fishing around here. My buddy just got a little 12 or 14 foot 7.5 hp carry on boat Tarryall just seemed like a good lake for that.

But then again I don't know. I haven't fished since I've needed a license. This will be my first season pretty much.

I am mostly a fly guy but once in a blue moon I pick up a spinning rod. Ummm Taryall is decent. I prefer to fish moving water but I'll fish still water at times. Taryall Reservoir isn't very big but it would be perfect for your friends boat or a canoe. You can catch Rainbows, Browns, and Brooks and even Pike. Taryall Creek is actually really nice just down from the dam but most of that water down to Lake George is private but that upper stretch for maybe 3 miles is public.

I fished a mile of private land on Taryall Ceek a couple of years ago -- its was pretty mediocre, but there had just been a realease from the reservoir which shot visibility to hell, so the surface stuff wasn't going over very well. There is a couple of decent pools for brookies on Taryall at China Wall, and just above/below, which is public. I've caught some very nice fish in Taryall reservoir though, both shore fishing with a fly and back in the day with some powerbait or salmon eggs or such... :eyes:

I am mostly a fly guy but once in a blue moon I pick up a spinning rod. Ummm Taryall is decent. I prefer to fish moving water but I'll fish still water at times. Taryall Reservoir isn't very big but it would be perfect for your friends boat or a canoe. You can catch Rainbows, Browns, and Brooks and even Pike. Taryall Creek is actually really nice just down from the dam but most of that water down to Lake George is private but that upper stretch for maybe 3 miles is public.

Pretty sure it's not. Tarryall Creek right above the reservoir is on Eagle Rock Ranch and its private property. Joe (Welldone) and I know the ranch manager as well as the owner and get to fish there occasionally (awesome fishing :spin1: ).The ranch also sponsors big game hunts for wounded veterans that Joe helps out with.

Last edited:

I should have been more clear. You're right about upstream from the reservoir. I was talking about just below the reservoir for a bit. Then it turns private again.

I think he means the couple of miles below the reservoir, before you get to the old church if you're on the road...

Where is Westminster?

We are right in-between Denver and Boulder, off of highway 36.

We normally head straight west (up highway 72) to fish. We consider Boulder Creek and Clear Creek to be our home waters. A few years ago, David caught a fat 24" Brown near Rollinsville. :thumbup: Unfortunately, more and more of the Boulder Creek is getting bought up by some rich snobs with a fly fishing club. Now I need to be stealthy to fish on the same water that I have fished for the last 30 years.(n)

My personal favorite spot is the Miracle Mile in Wyoming. I try to get there 3-4 times each year.

I am mostly a fly guy but once in a blue moon I pick up a spinning rod.

I have always wanted to learn to fly fish. It looks so relaxing.

Just got another new student full time and the honeymoon is officially over. I love when adolescents tell me what they are and aren't going to do.

And I think for the most part, fly fishing is relaxing (although I am too competitive) unless it's fall and I'm pitching big fat streamers at night for absolute monster browns. Then it is violent and chaotic.

Just got another new student full time and the honeymoon is officially over. I love when adolescents tell me what they are and aren't going to do.

And I think for the most part, fly fishing is relaxing (although I am too competitive) unless it's fall and I'm pitching big fat streamers at night for absolute monster browns. Then it is violent and chaotic.

Growing up in Cape Cod/Florida we always did offshore or warf fishing. It wasn't until moving to Colorado that I fished a stream. I used a rod & reel and felt a little out of place. lol

I openly admit I don't know anything about fresh water fishing, other than I haven't caught anything in 4 years.

Last edited:

So would my son, Zac. He has inherited a whole bunch of equipment, lots of reels, two bamboo fly rods his grandpa made, and other stuff. The problem with the rods is I don't know what line weight to use. :dunno: I can toss a line, but I know zip about flies, and little about reading the water. Not too mention, I can't see well enough to tie the damn knot. :) I'd finance an outing, if anyone feels like instructing and guiding, food, beverages, gas, fee.

So would my son, Zac. He has inherited a whole bunch of equipment, lots of reels, two bamboo fly rods his grandpa made, and other stuff. The problem with the rods is I don't know what line weight to use. :dunno: I can toss a line, but I know zip about flies, and little about reading the water. Not too mention, I can't see well enough to tie the damn knot. :) I'd finance an outing, if anyone feels like instructing and guiding, food, beverages, gas, fee.

I'd be up for that.

Never stop learning :)

I'm no expert, but I can lead a class on the Arkansas at ColoradoFest. I can guarantee that you will get your moneys worth for what I charge (free).

Back