• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Coil-Over Shocks

Will SAW offer anything like the FOX "Air Shocks", which use no coils? Would these be a good alternative to a coilover? And would they be something to safely use on a DD? They seem like a good alternative to coilovers @ roughly $225 per.

Here's some very good info from Pirate. I'm reading up on these things, but there's a lot to read through so if you guys have any input, fire away.

BillaVista's Air Shock Buildup

Fox Air Shocks, ya/na?

Lee 94XJ said:
Ditto. It wasn't that long ago that long arms were a novelty on XJs. Now that they have been proven and are more commonplace I predict that rear coil conversion kits will be the next big thing for the XJ, and I say bring 'em on. The aftermarket has had coil conversion kits for the CJ and YJ for years now and if the ZJ, WJ, and TJ can also be coil sprung all the way around why not the XJ? I think if I were in the business of fabricating aftermarket XJ parts that this is where I would be focusing my R&D now.

Long arms proven? Common, but hardly proven. Plenty of long arm kits are sold that I wouldn't be caught dead with, and plenty of fabbed designs that I also wouldn't be caught dead with. It's not easy to do a long arm in a way that actually improves trail capability.

Rear coil conversion? Where have you been? This idea has been shot down so many times people hesitate to even bring it up anymore. It is very difficult (not impossible, but difficult) to improve on the performance and capability of a front coil/rear leaf spring suspension design. Tera is a good company with very good products, and they eventually gave up on the idea of bringing an XJ coil conversion to the market.

I think Goaty is right.

As we speak the highly trained and well paid engineers at URF are working on a "Super Short" arm kit for the front. We believe 16 inches is WAY to long for a front lower control arm. So far, our R&D has cut the arm length down to 6", we think we can get them down to 4" with the use of a titanium extension bracket.

In any case, they will be good from 6" to 8" of lift, and we guarantee they won't hang up on any obstacle. A proven design, improved upon to the extreme by the folks at URF

People ask us "Do you ever stop innovating?"

The answer is, quite simply, no. ;)

CRASH

longarms definitly have their problems....

furthermore, I have never seen a rear coil conversions (not coilovers) that actually works. It might have moreso to do with link geometry, (too high of a roll axis) but the ones I've seen have so much UNCONTROLLED body movement,that thier owners don't seem very confident anymore, and are afraid to admit the mistake.

coil OVERS are tuneable....IMHO, ther are the best option on all four corners, but damn! they're expensive.

I like the idea of super rear flex for the trail, I also like the predictability of rear leafs. Is there a compromise? Sure, 1/4 elliptical :wave: .

But then again, maybe I should just go back to stock......

Beezil said:
longarms definitly have their problems....

furthermore, I have never seen a rear coil conversions (not coilovers) that actually works. It might have moreso to do with link geometry, (too high of a roll axis) but the ones I've seen have so much UNCONTROLLED body movement,that thier owners don't seem very confident anymore, and are afraid to admit the mistake.

coil OVERS are tuneable....IMHO, ther are the best option on all four corners, but damn! they're expensive.
Right, that's the way i will do it. Double triangulated 4 link rear and long arms with track bar front with coilovers all around. I plan to use only center limiting straps and no sway bars.

Back