• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CJ to XJ Transition

STL Enterprises

NAXJA Forum User
Guys - I would like the opinions of those that are more familiar with the XJ than I.

We have a 1982 CJ-7 that we had invested heavily in. It was reduced to a pile of parts courtesy of an engine fire last year. It is completely rebuildable, but in the intervening time, we picked up a 1999 XJ. Time has become an issue in thinking about trying to resurrect the CJ. But, since I'm sitting on a pile of parts, I wonder about the advisability or probability of sucessfully moving those parts that will fit over to the XJ? Here are the vehicles and their parts:

1999 XJ Sport w/ Up-Country Package
4.0L I6
AW-4 AT
NV-242
D30 Front
Chrysler Rear
Stock Driveshafts
Overhead Electronics Console / Infinity Sound System
Never wrecked, probably never off-roaded

1982 CJ Laredo
5.0L Ford Mustang HO (burnout)
NV 4500 Manual Transmission
D300 w/ Tera-Low 4:1 gearing w/ Currie Twin-Shifter
Ford 9" Axles Front & Rear w/ 4.10:1 Gearing & Detroit Lockers
Tom Woods Driveshafts (Front & Rear)

What I'd like to end up with is a competent 4WD vehicle, suited for desert/mountain exploring/some rock work. We travel in Mexico, so I prefer a bit of excess strength, as I really like doing maintenance and repairs in my North-of-the-Border shop. Up to 4.5" lift to allow running up to 33" tires that if well-driven won't be subject to serious breakage. We pull a 1200 lb (empty) trailer to Home Depot and elsewhere, and have a lifted full-size 'off-road' tent trailer to be used with the rig.

Before I close - other things to consider:
- If the CJ Axles could be made to fit under the XJ, would the width have to be changed? I realize that the front would need the appropriate attachment points installed.

- Is the AW-4 AT up to the job detailed above? We've had some serious leaks, but no driveability issues with it. I'd prefer to not get involved in an engine/trans swap - but we've done them before...

- I was planning on converting the CJ to an Auto Trans anyway, so having an Auto is a plus - but what's the story on the AW-4?

- The NV242 is pretty cool - I like having all the choices + shift-on-the-fly. But I miss my 4:1 gearing. Also, there doesn't seem to be as many good solutions to the SYE issue on the 242 as on a 231. If/Can the D300 be mated to the AW-4? How do you get the Twin Shift & Linkage issues resolved?

- How much lift + fender flaring required for 32" or 33" tires? I note that Bushwacker's flares aren't listed for the '99 - something about the bumpers and trim? Anybody gotten around this issue - or can recommend another way to go?

- Is a Long-Arm suspension the way to go? Preferences as to which manufacturer?

- The XJ, as it sits, is pristine. I don't want to end up with a hacked up junker.

I really like the extra room in the XJ, but we never spent an unhappy moment in the CJ. Because of our familiarity with the CJ, we've also considered a TJ Unlimited Rubicon. I get the impression that those who like the XJ get really hooked on it, but it has never seemed as sturdy as the CJ. So, opinions? Possibilities?Thanks guys - any help appreciated!
Larry

Wow... you got some really good stuff. I'd transfer most of it:
1. move the nv4500 and the d300 into the jeep
2. move the axles over

but to answer your questions: yes the aw4 is a pretty strong and durable tranny. The nv242 I'd dupm and put the D300 on the aw4 (there are clocking rings and adapters available that would allow you to do so).
To run 33" tires you need about 4.5"+ and a fair amount of trimming or a pretty big bumpstop.
Bushwackers look cool till you start breaking them.....
Long arms: T&T kit is pretty nice.
Lastly... familiarize yourself with this page. It will come in handy and would have answered all your questions and then some :D

Kejtar said:
1. move the nv4500 and the d300 into the jeep

This is really not that easily done. The 4500 is a TON bigger than the AX15, and will likely need the whole tranny tunnel to be cut out and reshaped. Also, I wouldn't trust the factory crossmember and mounting locations to hold up a trans that weighs a good 100+ lbs more. Not to mention that any of the adapter kits sold on the market are generally to be used only with the Chevy and Dodge versions of the trans, and most say that the Ford version is non-adaptable.

I'm also gonna take a wild guess and say that his D300 is probably passenger drop because it's in a CJ, and that would require even more messing around to fit it under an XJ without having it hang down really far - and again, a lot more weight than its aluminum-housed stocker counterpart.

That being said...the AW4 is probably one of the most stout autos ever used in Jeeps. They'll regularly go 300k+ miles, even on lifted rigs, with minimal problems. Seeing that you drive it a lot, you'll probably also appreciate the overdrive as opposed to a 3-speed, like the TF999 that came in Wranglers. I'd stick with this, and look into getting a flip-kit and clocking ring for your D300. It's fairly easy to adapt the D300 and AW4 together, and that way you'll be able to keep the fixed yoke and 4:1 that you enjoy already.

Given the remainder of what you've done on the CJ, the axle swap should be relatively trivial. Do that up, with a set of longarms - either built yourself, or I'd recommend the TnT Customs ones - and I'd say you'll have a very well-built rig.

vetteboy said:
This is really not that easily done. The 4500 is a TON bigger than the AX15, and will likely need the whole tranny tunnel to be cut out and reshaped. Also, I wouldn't trust the factory crossmember and mounting locations to hold up a trans that weighs a good 100+ lbs more. Not to mention that any of the adapter kits sold on the market are generally to be used only with the Chevy and Dodge versions of the trans, and most say that the Ford version is non-adaptable.
There are quite a few that put the 4500 into an XJ.
I'm also gonna take a wild guess and say that his D300 is probably passenger drop because it's in a CJ, and that would require even more messing around to fit it under an XJ without having it hang down really far - and again, a lot more weight than its aluminum-housed stocker counterpart.
Ummm afaik, all D300's are passenger drop and that's why flip kits and clocking kits exist.

Kejtar said:
There are quite a few that put the 4500 into an XJ.

Not saying it can't be done. I'm doing it now as a matter of fact. But there are issues with using the Ford model in conversions to a Jeep 4.0 block.

Kejtar said:
Ummm afaik, all D300's are passenger drop and that's why flip kits and clocking kits exist.

Yep, I know. Wasn't callin you out on that either. That's also why I recommended putting it after the AW4. (edit: I missed where you had mentioned that originally- my bad)

Sorry if I came across as attacking you or something - I just wanted to bring up a few things that the guy might want to consider before putting a lot of time and money into the build.

If your just going to run 33s, I would sell all the CJ stuff unless your wanting a hardcore trail rig. You'll find that an XJ don't need as heavy duty parts as a CJ to get the same job done. There's a ton of guys running the hardest trails around with 33s with a D30 and 8.25.

vetteboy said:
Not saying it can't be done. I'm doing it now as a matter of fact. But there are issues with using the Ford model in conversions to a Jeep 4.0 block.

Yep, I know. Wasn't callin you out on that either. That's also why I recommended putting it after the AW4. (edit: I missed where you had mentioned that originally- my bad)

Sorry if I came across as attacking you or something - I just wanted to bring up a few things that the guy might want to consider before putting a lot of time and money into the build.
Fair enough... I might be a wee bit touchy as I've spent 3 days doing busy work in front of a computer and it's driving me nuts! :D (ok... driving me MORE nuts)

I had a 1978 CJ-5 before the purchase of my first XJ. The only thing I miss about the CJ was the open air wheeling with the top off and the widshield down (full cage of course :) ). The XJ's wheelbase gives it a definite advantage over my old CJ, and the CJ can't even come close to the creature comforts that an XJ has. You won't be disappointed ditching the CJ for an XJ.

Take your time swapping over the components, and I'm sure it will come out looking and performing top-notch.

Id swap everything over but the 5.0...too much fab/hassle when you could stroke the 4.0 and have as good of results. With all the stuff youve listed though, youd have a SWEET XJ!

keep the AW4's most of them will go 250-300k without a problem switch the D300 flip it and go with TnT's long arm and sell the NV 4500 to fund the rest of the stuff, GOOD Luck keep us informed. BTW what kind of camping trailer do you have and any pics? I'm getting ready to lift mine to fit my old 235/75's on it. John

About 4 years ago I made the same trasition

74 CJ5 to 97 XJ.... the CJ was a trailer queen and that ment Tow rig and trailer and jeep. It was just too much equipment and space...

Now I have have a mildly built XJ... I had to first sell the CJ first to finance the XJ therefore there was no parts to transfer.

The CJ was on 31's and the XJ is on 31's inch tires and while I was a good bit braver in the CJ than the XJ I do not think there are many places the CJ would go that the XJ will not go.

I miss the open air, but also do not mind having air conditioniong and power steering... CJs are an aquired taste... Not everybody can appreiciate thier beauty.

For 33 or smaller tires
For the AW4... You will have to get acustom to it shifting at in opertune times but there are fixes for that as well.

The 9 inch axles will be sweet but are more than overkill for 33 inch tires.

Again the D300 will be sweet but it too is overkill.... I am not as familar with the NV242 as I am the 231 that I have.

Sell the D300 and the 9 inch axles. Use them for cash ....

RE 4.5 inch lift with minor trimming will clear 32-33 inch tires
Ford exlorer 8.8 with disks (they can come with 4.10's stock)
locker for the 8.8
Gears for the D30... If it is open it will easliy handle 33 inch tires.
New TC with SYE....Assuming that you can not get the NV 242 SYE. I can only speak to the 231 and Believe that it can handel 33 inch tires.
Appropreate bumpers, Rock Rails and skids ..... Being a Unibody they are rock magnets.

If you think you will go 35 inch tires or bigger... You may wish to go full width because XJs tend to get tippy at the higher altitudes

RE 5.5 inch lift long arms
Keep your rear 9 inch
Driver side pig D44 (assuming that your 9 is a passenger side pig.)
New TC with SYE....Assuming that you can not get the NV 242 SYE
Appropreate bumpers, Rock Rails and skids .....

Like I said the 9's and D300 would build a sweet XJ but they are truly overkill for 33 inch tires.

Good Luck.... While I sometiems still miss the CJ but now I can take the kids and Wife on some outings as they do not apprecaite the bugs, heat, cold, rain, mud showers, snow and ice and such the way I do.

Jeff

Back