• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

chevy rear springs in a 91 chero?

markg

NAXJA Forum User
ive come across a set of rear 8 inch chevies that have an accepable eye to eye measurement to work in my 91.the only problem is that the pin is centered.i have no problem redrilling it.has anyone ever done this?

drilling through a leaf spring is tough with a hand drill. it would be better will a drill press and cutting oil.

i can drill it in a drillpress with a good cobalt bit.i was just wondering if there might be a problem if the hole was relocated in the spring.maybe the weight dist is different or something im not thinking about

these are 8 inch rears from a 85 1/2 ton pu.the eye to eye is 52 inches.it looks like the springs im running now(re 5.5s)are about 52 in with the weight on them.i currently run this with a 3 in block.
do you think this will work so i can eliminate the block?

One big issue would be the "weak" point created by "original" hole.

its only 3/8ths and i dont think it would bee too much of an issue.i dont jump it or even wheel extremely hard.i have done this before but only to add custom add-a-leaves in existing packs.im just wondering if i shold drill the main where i need it(about 4 in forward.and then keep the others centered with the new hole and trim the one end only if i have to(im not even sure what the heck im talkin about!)
i can prolly get this pack for about 100 bux but nothing is gained if i wind up ruining them.

is your shackle angle going to look ok? since you have 8" lift springs, i suggest getting dodge van main leaf.

Yea, you should be allright if you redrill the hole. I highly doubt that the original hole is gonna be a problem.

fill the holes with weld and grind them flush

Please don't weld on springs. The heat will remove the temper, and they will fail.
We have re drilled center holes and not had any issues, but we only moved them an inch or so, and the old holes were still supported by the spring perches and mounting plates.
It should work, but the only way to know for sure is to try it, and let us know how they hold up.

Back